Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Exporting to IGTV
[Post New]
When I export 9:16 video, all the settings and preview display correct resolution 1080x1920. But when the file is done, the output is 1920x1080 with the 9:16 video in the center and black bars on left and right. What am I doing wrong, how can I have the final file as 1080x1920 before uploading to instagram?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -

PDR can export 9:16 videos, no problem. When you say it's "1920x1080 with the 9:16 video in the center and black bars on left and right" do you mean when you play it back in a media player? or in preview? In Windows, is the thumbnail 9:16 or 16:9?

In trying to work out what you issue was, I made a quick little 9:16 video & produced to 720x1280. Some media players adapt the screen to match the vertical source & others have to be "told".

Next, I uploaded to Instagram's IGTV (which I'd never done previously). For whatever reason, the 9:16 video produced in PDR kept giving me a "FAILED TO POST" message on IGTV. To work around that, I dropped it in the Windows Photos app & made a new video (same thing just re-processed). That resulted in a successful IGTV upload.

Beats me what the difference is. Side-by-side MediaInfo attached.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - 9-16 Media Info.png]
 Filename
9-16 Media Info.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
97 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
36 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
It puzzled me as well. I tried a very quick experiment early today, which is not fully tested, I have to say, but I won't be able to do more for a couple of days.

Set project AR to 9:16.Standard colour board on track 1 (showed as 9:16), Kite Surfing on track 2 (shown as 16:9).

I produced to a default profile H264 .MP4 1080x1920/30p 13Mbps

MediaInfo tells me it is 1920x1080.

MPCHC plays it as 1920x1080 ie sideways 16:9

VLC, QT, Win Film and TV and WMP play it as 1080x1920 correctly 9:16

YT plays it as 9:16
Vimeo plays it as 9:16

I can't do any more testing at the moment but it shows that the 9:16 flag is not universally recognised.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I get the same outcomes as PowerDirector Moderator when producing to AVC H.264 MP4 1080x1920/30p (13Mbps)... except that MPC HC plays the video back correctly as 9:16. Maybe it's related to the options set.

I still cannot get a 9:16 video produced in PDR to (a) upload to IGTV or (b) play correctly on Facebook BUT after running it through Win Photos, both issues are resolved.

See attached screenshot.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - IGTV Uploads.png]
 Filename
IGTV Uploads.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
928 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)

[Post New]
Thanks guys.

This is what I see.

I think maybe it's not a problem and the final file dimesions don't have to be 9:16 and instagram just crops the sides off when uploading 1920x1080?

Also I confirm, that cannot upload directly to instagram if u export to MP4, Android or Apple device.
[Thumb - uploads.png]
 Filename
uploads.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
496 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2018 23:43

ynotfish
[Post New]
I think what you're seeing in VLC Player is what you'd expect (i.e. not an error).

The video is playing correctly as 9:16, but it's playing in a 16:9 player... just like on YouTube or Vimeo.

I replicated your steps shown in the screen capture and got the same result (same as I'd got before). Some media players play it correctly & some don't. Some websites play it correctly & some don't.

The video you made in the capture would play as 9:16 on YouTube & Vimeo, but not on Facebook. As you found, it won't even upload to IGTV without other processing.

Again, see attached screenshot from IGTV.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - IGTV Uploads2.png]
 Filename
IGTV Uploads2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
949 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
15 time(s)

[Post New]
I think you're right, I was confused to see 9:16 output frame width as 1920 but ultimately it doesn't matter, as instagram fixes it. Now all is left to fix the bug in encoding. Hopefully cyberlink can do it soon.