Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Add Alpha Channel to a video without one
RadTechShoe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 06, 2015 11:56 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I wand to add an alpha channel to a video clip that does not come with one bulti in. As an example, Say I want the clip from "Isle of Dogs" where they open the bag, but instead of all the garbage in there I can edit in the clip or pic I want but it is only shown as they slowly rip open the bag, and it really looks like the pic I want is inside the bag and not the garbage. How do i go about doing that? Is it even possible with PD16?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi RadTechShoe -

One thing that makes it impossible in PDR is that PDR cannot produce a video with an alpha channel.

Depending how much time you have on your hands, it would be possible to create an "animation" of the bag sequence by:

1. Extracting the individual frames as images from the whole sequence - that may be hundreds of images

2. Edit each frame image to remove the unwanted background (in PhD or graphics software) & save as .png to retain transparency

3. Reimport the images 9.png) back into PDR

4. In the timeline, set each image to 00:00:00:01 duration

Now that little sequence can be used within PDR, but can't be produced with an alpha channel.

Alternatively, using CDR, you could mask the bag & the bits you want visible, invert the mask & adjust the surrounds so they're green. The sequence could be produced as a green-screen video and imported into PDR to chroma-key out the green.

That's all I can think of right now.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!