Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help with timeline frame rate conflict PD12
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2008 22:53 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Power Director 12 64bit

I have had this issue many times over the course of owning PD12 and have just worked past it (aka, ignored it, lol) but I would like to know if there is a solution. When I import video taken with my phone (Android) or camera (Canon t5i) I get this message when adding to the timeline:

frame rate msg

However these are my frame rate settings:

preference

It says my frame rate is 30 FPS (not 29.97 fps which is virtually the same).

Is there an actual conflict here? And if so, is there a solution?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It is not serious but you can go to Preferences/Confirmation and uncheck the box for framerate notification if you like.
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It is not serious but you can go to Preferences/Confirmation and uncheck the box for framerate notification if you like.

I realize I can make the message go away - but I would like to know if there is actually a conflict. It's weird that it tells me to change it to something it already is. Am I losing some quality? Etc.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

I realize I can make the message go away - but I would like to know if there is actually a conflict. It's weird that it tells me to change it to something it already is. Am I losing some quality? Etc.

Cindy, you are right, there is hardly any difference. It would hardly be noticeable. If you would prefer to be exact, you could create a custom profile when you produce the project. On the produce page click on the little "plus" sign and choose 29.7 as the custom frame rate. If you need further assistance post again. When you open the custom profile window give the profile a name that will remind you what is for Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Cindy, you are right, there is hardly any difference. It would hardly be noticeable. If you would prefer to be exact, you could create a custom profile when you produce the project. On the produce page click on the little "plus" sign and choose 29.7 as the custom frame rate. If you need further assistance post again. When you open the custom profile window give the profile a name that will remind you what is for

Thanks Shadowman. I think where my confusion lies is that the message is telling me that my clip is 30fps and my project's frame rate is 29.97 set in General preferences. Yet you can see my preferences are set at 30fps. So I'm not sure where this 29.97 is even coming from.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Your Preference screenshot show that the timeline setting is 29.97 fps. That is what Use Drop frame time code: Yes means. If you want exact 30 fps then set that to No not Yes as shown in your screenshot for this project.
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Your Preference screenshot show that the timeline setting is 29.97 fps. That is what Use Drop frame time code: Yes means. If you want exact 30 fps then set that to No not Yes as shown in your screenshot for this project.

Oh!! I never knew what that was for. Thank you!!!
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Your Preference screenshot show that the timeline setting is 29.97 fps. That is what Use Drop frame time code: Yes means. If you want exact 30 fps then set that to No not Yes as shown in your screenshot for this project.

I just got back to this project today and tried this. No joy I get the same message.

Essentially, the message is telling me that the clip's framerate (30fps) is different from the frame rate set in my General Preferences (29.97) - when clearly my GP are set at 30fps. Unfortunately, changing from Yes to No in the Use Drop frame time code box didn't make any difference. I still get that same pop up.

ETA: It says to change the project's framerate. Is there a way to do that apart from the General Prefences? Maybe that is my issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2018 10:33

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

I just got back to this project today and tried this. No joy I get the same message.

Essentially, the message is telling me that the clip's framerate (30fps) is different from the frame rate set in my General Preferences (29.97) - when clearly my GP are set at 30fps. Unfortunately, changing from Yes to No in the Use Drop frame time code box didn't make any difference. I still get that same pop up.

ETA: It says to change the project's framerate. Is there a way to do that apart from the General Prefences? Maybe that is my issue.

Hi Cindy

Try deselecting shadow files. Maybe the conversion is causing a conflict. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Most android phones videos are variable frame rate not 30 fps. Right mouse click on a video in the media library and click View properties to see what the minimum and maximum frame rates are.

The Canon T5i videos are 23.976, 29.97, 59.94 fps not 24, 30, 60 fps at all according to the video specs in this article 4th paragraph down: https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-t5i/canon-t5iVIDEO.HTM . You can confirm this by viewing the properties in PD12 or in Windows/Properties at 29 not 30.

Like most people I would not worry about the frame rate, just accept it.

You can use Medinfo to check it out in detail.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2018 11:11

Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi Cindy

Try deselecting shadow files. Maybe the conversion is causing a conflict.

Hi Shadowman (how ironic!! lol)

I deselected that box in GP, closed the program and re-openeded just in case, and checked to make sure it was still deselected. This time, as soon as I imported my video, I got this box:

I clicked "No", then continued with the import. Sadly, I still get the conflict message as soon as I add it to the timeline.
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Most android phones videos are variable frame rate not 30 fps. Right mouse click on a video in the media library and click View properties to see what the minimum and maximum frame rates are.

The Canon T5i videos are 23.976, 29.97, 59.94 fps not 24, 30, 60 fps at all according to the video specs in this article 4th paragraph down: https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-t5i/canon-t5iVIDEO.HTM . You can confirm this by viewing the properties in PD12 or in Windows/Properties at 29 not 30.

Like most people I would not worry about the frame rate, just accept it.

You can use Medinfo to check it out in detail.

This one in particular is my Android, and this is the video properties in PD:

I'm not concerned about the quality in this case, at this point I'm just curious to solve the puzzle.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

The actual origins of 30, 29.97, 25 fps, interlaced and progressive goes back to the 1940s. Originally frame rates were based on the electrical system frequency (60Hz in the US and 50Hz in Europe) and the different systems became known as NTSC and PAL.
NTSC was originally 30fps (half of the 60Hz mainss frequency) in black and white but altered fractionally when the Color sub-carrier was implemented around 1953 and the refresh rate became 59.94, and the frame rate became 29.97.

Some cameras do actually record at 30fps but more commonly the 30fps is a "nominal" expression - it's easier to say and write than 29.97fps!

Interlaced and progressive refers to the way the individual frames are produced, and again is based on the old refresh rates and scanning technology for CRT TVs and monitors - interlaced means that alternate scan line are recorded as 1 "half frame" and then combined with the "other half" to make a full frame, and progressive is recorded as a single full frame.

The drop frame timecode was introduced to compensate for the tiny difference between 29.97 and 30 which will eventually add up to a timing problem, which broadcasters needed to solve for real time scheduling.

Variable Frame Rates, in relation to recording, are a characteristic of the camera, and are a means of allowing the camera to record at different rates depending on context. Smartphones are well known for variable frame rates, often down as low as 5fps!
Forcing a VBR recording @5fps into a 29.97fps timeline is a challenge!!

So, to all intents, the frame rate conflict message in PDR is ignored by most folk, as it is usually a "technicality", if it becomes irritating, it can be switched off in Preferences>Confirmations.

These links are useful reading for further detail :
https://www.manchestervideo.com/2013/10/16/quick-guide-to-video-frame-rates/
https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/intro-to-video-frame-rates-and-frames-per-second-shooting-speeds/
http://www.bodenzord.com/archives/79
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do