Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8: Have the subtitles been fixed?
sjordi
Member Location: Geneva, Switzerland - Portland, OR, USA Joined: Dec 03, 2008 03:15 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
to those of you who have upgraded to PowerDirector8, do you know if the subtitles have been fixed?

Is it now possible to produce a DVD with optional subtitles (not burned on the image, but accessible by turning them on or off)???
Does this finally work?

To those ready to respond "that worked under PD7", no this didn't work at all under PD7. Check the forums and you'll see numerous complaints.

I switch to PD7 from another product just for that reason... and this didn't work. I'd prefer avoiding jumping again to 8 for nothing.

Thanks for sharing real successful work experiences.
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
sjordi,
Sub-titles did work under PD7 however, I did refer your original concerns regarding copying sub-title file data from a dvd and transposing the data into PD to CyberLink R & D.

I haven't tested this but the method you want to employ should have been fixed in PD8.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

sjordi
Member Location: Geneva, Switzerland - Portland, OR, USA Joined: Dec 03, 2008 03:15 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Subtitles did work on PD7 as long as you had 2 or 3 of them.
Above 1-2 minutes of DVD it was impossible to produce a DVD with subtitles, no matter which font was used, how complex or simple the project was.

I just want to know whether this has been fixed on PD8 or if they focused on other issues, new features, but not the subtitle rooms.

I don't want to work with subtitle files, external files, etc. I just want to manage my subtitles from withtin PD subtitile room. Everything under one unique interface.

Thanks for your help anyway.
I guess I'll get a trial version, install it in a Virtual Machine, get my old projects and run them. If subtitles do work, I'll upgrade. If not... well, ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2009 07:10

[Post New]
Dafydd

Just installed a trial version of PD8.
It looks like it's even worse that PD7.

I have tried some small projects and the produced final movie crashes immediately about 1 second before the first subtitle

My first test is on a 20 minute movie, with the first subtitle at about 16:35
The movie plays up to 16.34 and then quits (on PowerDVD for example) and stalls on the living room DVD player.

Ok then, I tried a 5 minute movie. First subtitle at 3:01. Movie crashes at 3:00 on both PowerDVD and the DVD player.

When it doesn't crash, the sound track continues but the image freezes and that's it. Nothing more. Some other continue the image but lose the sound.

Looks WAYS buggy. More than PD7.

Are you able to create a, say, 5 minute project with some subtitles appearing at some point (not from the begining), say at 4:15 and burn a DVD that offers the choice to display or hide the subtitles, that works?

PD7/8 is my choice ONLY because of subtitles editing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 17. 2009 09:42

Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Since you are discussing subtitles - has anyone tried using it in AVCHD projects ? Did it work OK ? Win 10, i7
Edgar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 16, 2009 20:22 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD8, but when I use subtitles it crashes. With no subtitles, no problems. I imported an AVI file, then went to subtitle room and imported an SRT file. That seemed to go OK, but then I tried to save the project and it crashed.

Error signature -
AppName: pdr8.exe AppVer: 8.0.0.1930 ModName: nt.dll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset 00011 daf

It presented a lot of log data about the error, but I couldn't figure out a way to preserve that. Be glad to do it again and follow instructions to get more data.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have PD8, but when I use subtitles it crashes. With no subtitles, no problems. I imported an AVI file, then went to subtitle room and imported an SRT file. That seemed to go OK, but then I tried to save the project and it crashed.

Error signature -
AppName: pdr8.exe AppVer: 8.0.0.1930 ModName: nt.dll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset 00011 daf

It presented a lot of log data about the error, but I couldn't figure out a way to preserve that. Be glad to do it again and follow instructions to get more data.

You should have NO problems with AVCHD disc creation. Subtitles are NOT supported in AVCHD mode, but do work with DVD and Blu-ray formats. Cyberlink support just hasn't figured this out yet. Win 10, i7
sjordi
[Post New]
You really are able to have subtitles with non HD movies? I'd be glad to know how you manage having those subtitles in any project at all.
Not imprinted subtitles, only the ones you decide to show or hide using the menu. __________________
Steve JORDI
Geneva, Switzerland - Portland, OR, USA
All vodi
[Post New]
Steve,

In PowerDirector 8 subtitles work very well (the DVD player compatible type where you can turn them on and off). Download the trial version and try it out - it works.

Al
sjordi
[Post New]
I have the trial and it's worse than PD7 where subtitles worked only on less than 2 minute projects.

In PD8 I can't burn a DVD with subtitles. If I do (it means it has 2 subtitles only) it then either produces a DVD with no sound and only the image as soon as it hits the first subtitle, or a DVD with a black image and sound when it hits that first subtitle.

I tried it on 3 different configurations and none of them work. It's a 1min 45 sec project!

Cyberlink is investigating.

I'm talking about real subtitles you can turn off when you want, not imprinted subtitles directly onto the video itself. __________________
Steve JORDI
All vodi
[Post New]
Steve,

I've had no problems with even a short 20 second clip. The subtitles (turned on or off) work well on both my PC and the DVD player. I assume you have a unique hardware /software issue. And good luck with Cyberlink support - I've had no luck with them.
sjordi
[Post New]
I'll try on another one tonight, without any DVD burner codec/app and see what's going on.

Cyberlink has usually be helpful for all my problems and very knowledgeable. Except for the subtitle issues in both PD7 and PD8.

I'll keep you informed whether I can find a way to have it work correctly anyway.

Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Very short movies where you are "testing" will usually work okay. But try creating a movie at least 10 minutes long with subtitles spaced every 30 seconds. If you don't get a muxer error message, then when you play the movie you will probably see the movie "pause" maybe after 5 minutes, and then after awhile the movie will speed by, and then it will go back to normal speed but without the audio.

While I was trying to figure out how to work around this, I discovered that for testing purposes, I should at least place subtitles in the second half of the movie. Depending on the length of the movie, subtitles placed in only the first X% of the movie did not cause an error message.

I didn't have this problem with subtitles on BDs.

Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
sjordi
[Post New]
A sa followup, did anybody succeed in having subtitles work in PDR8?
I finally bought the full edition, but still no luck.
Tried with several 15 minutes movies, no success.

Any patch coming around? I mean, subtitles are the only reason I switched from Studio to PowerDirector.

Thanks for any followup.
If you read this thread, you will see I'm not the only one with problems. __________________
Steve JORDI
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
The DVD subtitles that you can turn on and off seem to be working now. I tested them on a 1 hour movie and spaced the subtitles evenly across the entire hour at one minute intervals. Worked with DVD HQ. That was build 2207. Hopefully they aren't broke in 2220.
sjordi
[Post New]
Just update to 8.0.2220 and used
three former projects without touching them.
Produced the three of them and IT WORKS!!!!

Finally! Thank you Cyberlink!

My subtitels appear only now and then in the middle of scenes, so I guess it covers most possible "mess up"

Cool, now I will be able to edit and move forward!