Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Questions about special effects packs?
[Post New]
First question: Does PD support anything that is similar to Twixtor?

Second: Are boris or newblue fx worth getting? They are pretty pricey but don't know what they offer. Has anyone tried them? I would like to know.

Thanks
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote First question: Does PD support anything that is similar to Twixtor?

Second: Are boris or newblue fx worth getting? They are pretty pricey but don't know what they offer. Has anyone tried them? I would like to know.

Thanks

1. not that I am aware of, and even twixtor is not perfect its a compromise. If superb slo-mo was important going down a hardware route would be necessary. There are plenty of sub £1000 cameras that can produce respectable slo-mo with none of the twixtor limitations.

2. NewBlue is impressive even at Titler Pro 1.5 level given free with PD. I have looked casually at the latest incarnation v6 and I guess its impressive but at $300 or more I have to ask - what am I making? Impressive titles and credits with mediocre content seperating the two, or am I trying to create entertaining video people enjoy watching, with adequate titling to accompany?

Quality content, skillfully edited and interesting is what I strive to make - titles credits and visually effects will always be second.

Just my opinion.

Alan.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
In addition to what Alan said: Have a look at the compatibility list of a plugin.
PowerDirector does not support OpenFX-Plugins. Either the plugin is compatible to PowerDirector or you need a standalone program, that creates a for PowerDirector readable format.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
FX are great...if you need them. I use Boris for analog restoration and New Blue for green screen and a few others. You can apply FX to titles as well as pip and main timelines. I know New Blue FX are available for purchase within PD, but can also be found directly from NB and price may vary wildly. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies. I make amvs (animated music videos) for my YouTube channel and just thought that fx packs could be helpful so I was just wondering if I should get some.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You can go through each pack and seee if there are FX you may need, and there are trials.
For animation maybe look at Prodad's packages. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Quote You can go through each pack and seee if there are FX you may need, and there are trials.
For animation maybe look at Prodad's packages.

Thanks. Think I'll give them a try