Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ordering photos in an album
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I want to re-order some photos in an album (so that I can export them with new names and retain the new order). However when I try to re-order the photos I get a message: "The selected source does not support custom order. Custom order is only supported in folders that don't contain sub-folders."

So I exited PhotoDirector (I am trialling version 9), used Windows Explorer to put some photos into a new folder which does not contain sub-folders, re-opened PhotoDirector, imported the new photos, put them into an album, and tried again to re-order. Got the same message!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any assistancer.

Robert
[Post New]
Hello RobertWA,

In PhD, you must be in folder view (which contains no sub-folders) to be able to re-order your photos. It cannot be done when you're in Album view.

When viewing an imported folder (with no sub-folders) of photos, they can be re-ordered but not renamed. Once the photos have been re-ordered as you wish, they can be selected and exported.

In the Export options, under "Naming", if you use "Custom Filename - Sequence Number" you'll have a series of photos, in your selected order, named (for example) Swan Cruise-1, Swan Cruise-2, Swan Cruise-3 etc.

Is that what you're trying to do?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PIX,

Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to do. Once I moved from Album View to Folder View it worked fine.

But now a related question. When I am trying to re-order the photos is there any way to see more than the 12 or so thumbnails that appear across the bottom of the screen? For example can I minimise the pane which previews the selected photo and expand the pane with the thumbnails in it?

Cheers

Robert
[Post New]
Hello Robert,

Sadly, no... if you're in "Photo viewer & Browser". If you switch to "Photo Browser only", in either grid or list view, you'll find it easier to re-order.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again, PIX.

That was just what I wanted.

Cheers,

Robert
Alex_W [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2018 09:32 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I'm experiencing issues with ordering pictures in a folder. It is somehow difficult to describe as the behaviour of the software seems to be not predictable. Sometimes it works, sometimes not and sometimes it moves the picture but not to the intended place. Please see below my screen capture video. By the way, even if not shown in the video, in most cases a picture is not dropped at the intended place but is being moved to the very end of the series of pictures.

Your support and help is very much appreciated, thanks a lot,
Alex

[Post New]
Hello Alex,

Admittedly, on some occasions, I've had similar things occur. Unfortunately, I've never found any rhyme or reason for it. In such circumstances I often start a new project, import the photos and go from there. This seems to remedy the issue.

This short screen capture shows how it should happen, even though it differs from your current experience.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Alex_W [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2018 09:32 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Pix,
Thanks a lot. I guess this work around will help. Thanks again for all your hard work here in the forum.
Cheers,Alex