Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD7 - Crashes crashes am I boring you yet?
gridsleep [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2009 06:37 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
All PowerDirector 7 does now is crash. I can capture and edit with little problem, but the moment I go to produce, crash. Usually with ntdll.dll. The occasional crash before, but this is EVERY TIME. I'm using KLM codec mega pack to create videos using XviD. I suppose I could use one of the standard codecs included with PowerDirector but THEY TAKE AN HOUR AND A HALF TO ENCODE TEN MINUTES WORTH OF VIDEO and CREATE END FILES TEN TIMES THE SIZE OF THE ORIGINAL. Sorry, that kind of clunkiness is not an option. PowerDirector used to work with KLM rather well. Now it just crashes all the time. If I can't find a solution to this, I am going with another company's product. I'm using Windows XP 64-bit with 8GB RAM and 250GB free hard drive space. Oh, and in addition to the crashes, the program sometimes reports OUT OF MEMORY when I start to produce. Eight gigabytes of RAM and it says it ran out of memory. Also, now that I have produce set to ffdshow with XviD, I can't change it to anything else. Just clicking on the codec settings crashes the program. This is so sweet my whole head feels like a cavity with an abscess.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 09. 2009 13:53

Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to read of your problem, really.
Lets take this piece by piece, and see what's wrong if possible.

You say the editor works OK and presumably allows cutting, enhancement etc etc. At that point can you play the edited changes in situ using the small screen display on the editor ? Yes?

Now, can you play it again but in the larger display [preview in media viewer] ?

As to using the KLM codec, I have installed K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 4.8.5
and it works very well, so its probably not an incompatibility.

Just for testing can you try producing the following...

Output a small size (Finished <50Mb) video to .AVI then .WMV version 8, .WMV version 9

if that works try a larger file until it crashes or slows down too much.

On version 7 Power Director I found that in Vista with 1.5Gbytes ram a video of X minutes long would take about 2X minutes to produce.

With Version 8 and 4Gigs ram in Vista it takes about 1.3X to 1.5X depending on how much editing and PIP tracks are involved in the video.

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
gridsleep [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2009 06:37 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
It seems to be working now. I've removed and reinstalled the PD7 and the KLM several times in several different patterns, and, after trying it with the AVG security completely disabled, it appears to be working. I can capture, edit, and produce with the XviD codec without a glitch or a crash. I have no way of knowing exactly what worked. It may have been installing with no security. I don't know. It's working. I'm afraid to change anything now. We'll see.