Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8, Video thumbnails
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone found a way in PD8, v1930 to turn off video thumbnails in the Create Disc menu section? It was a feature in PD7 but sure can not find it in PD8. No mention of video thumbnail in the PD8 docs. You can adjust the duration of the video thumbnail to as little as 10 seconds but can not turn them off! Custom menus from PD7 that had no video thumbnail motion open in PD8 with motion. Very poor upward compatibility.

I must say, 15 months of development since PD7 was released and PD8 in my opinion falls very short. CL had tons of input and could have done it right, but missed the mark. Basically, fix the disc create module and all the AVCHD issues and had many happy customers. They did neither.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 09. 2009 19:02

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Response From CL
In regards to your concern, we regret to inform you that PowerDirector 8 software does not have this option to enable or disable the video thumbnails.

We regret for the inconvineance.

However, we have already passed this case to our R&D department for more product development.

How unfortunate! More product development, it WAS a feature in PD7, what needs to be developed.

Jeff
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Appears to be another bug in the duration setting as well in PD8

For my type of video's I thought perhaps I could use a 10 second titles (called chapter 1, chapter 2... for instance) in an attempt to not have video thumbnails. If I set the chapter mark at the beginning of this title and if it is 10 seconds long, by setting the video thumbnail length to 10 seconds one in theory should have a "static" thumbnail that simply reads chapter 1 and so on. However, it appears that regardless how many seconds you set for the video thumbnail, between 10 and 99 IT IS IGNORED. You can test this by doing the following.

1) Simply put some sample video in the timeline
2) Define six titles of durations 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 seconds and set a chapter mark at the beginning of each title with the picture also from the beginning of the title
3) go to Create Disc module, pick some template, and set duration on the "Playback Mode Settings" to 10 (minimum allowed, see attached pic)
4) Preview disc, all the chapter buttons should have "static" video thumbnails but you will notice ONLY the 15 second duration title block is "static". Ironically, 15 seconds was the default setting.
5) Change the duration to 20 and all chapters should display a video thumbnail which is a combination of the title and the background video, however, the results are the same, the video thumbnail is STILL 15 second’s duration.

Implementation would be so simple, set duration to 0 if you want static thumbnails, (no video thumbnails). Not sure why they have a minimum of 10 seconds anyhow.

Jeff
[Thumb - tumbnail.gif]
 Filename
tumbnail.gif
[Disk]
 Description
Thumbnail time settings
 Filesize
72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
455 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 02. 2010 21:57

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff,
Thank you, I appreciate your posts.

I'm sending the whole post in to CyberLink.

Dafydd
Jim May
Newbie Location: Buffalo, NY Joined: Aug 29, 2009 00:47 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
It is sad they left this option out, I make a lot of discs with a lot of chapters, and not being able to turn this feature off causes the burn time to be very excessive.

I thought the "Enable animated Interface" in the editing preferences was the option to turn the motion menus off, but when I deselect this option, I end up with unuasable burnt folder that takes nearly an hour to make.

I can't believe they would leave this option out...

What does the "Enable animated Interface" do??? Also, what does the "SSE4" option do, just better quality final product?
John
Newbie Location: Alveston, Bristol, UK Joined: Mar 06, 2008 12:10 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Has there been any response from Cyberlink yet, I to like to disable video thumbnails.

Best regards

John
Jim May
Newbie Location: Buffalo, NY Joined: Aug 29, 2009 00:47 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Nothing...
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Although I don't do many discs myself, it does seem strange they left it off.

Since Jeff raised it, I've kept a look out in my trawls through the PD registry but I could not find any similar key to the :-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector\7.0\Authoring\EnableVideoThumb key in PD7.

Nor could I find where the 'default'value is held to see if that could be altered to 0.

I think the xml menu files might be hackable but it seems a lot of effort when it should be a simple user choice.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
After reading all the above problems, I would switch back to Prem Elem 8, but that's a poorly written package with it's own problems. I think CL has some of the same people Adobe has. Do you think they share technology??