Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Inferior DVD video quality
Wired [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 22, 2009 02:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I used PowerDirector Deluxe V7 to create a DVD from video (non-HD) uploaded from my Sony Digital Handycam DCR-SR300. I specified video quality "DVD HQ". The clarity and sharpness of the video on the PowerDirector DVD was inferior to the clarity and sharpness of the original Handycam video.

I know this because I used the same Handycam video to create a DVD using Windows Movie Maker 6.0. The resulting DVD video was so much clearer and sharper than the PowerDirector's. Why is the PowerDirector video not as clear as the original video?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Wired - get it? Highwired (sorry - ex teacher)

I can't explain the difference in quality... but cut to the chase... burn it with something else.

First burn it to a DVD folder, then use imgburn or Nero. Just click on search and pop in "imgburn" - you'll get the lowdown.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

I'm not sure if that will fix the problem. Imgburn has been shown to be more reliable in burning DVD's, but I don't think that will fix the image quality. It seems that the problem is related to the rendering engine which PD uses. Imgburn is just using the rendered DVD compliant video file and coping that to the DVD. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Hey! Da Packer's Back!

Welcome back James.

OK. Wires - why not render in a different format. When you select a format for rendering, there is a description of output quality below.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
You could try outputting to a different profile which gives better results and then use WMM to convert to DVD. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Videoman73 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tampa, Florida Joined: Jul 19, 2009 21:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Wired
Have you actually burned a file onto a dvd disc and watched it on a dvd player or you are talking about video quality while previewing and actually rendering.
I have noticed that previewing quality is inferior than actual file burned onto a dvd, and dvd just comes out fantastic.

Most video editor while previewing or editing use a shadow copy which is in inferior quality than original work, this is done to make video editing fast and not to touch actual media file, and remember if your actual video was shot in non hd than you can not make it in hd through a software renderer.

Graphic card and cpu may also affect the final product