Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Anyway to remove clips of a M2TS file without re-encoding the file?
NzYme [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2009 10:13 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Is there anyway to do simple cuts and just export the file as is...without re-encoding the file?
[Post New]
The answer is yes under certain constraints.

You need to use the SVRT function of the programme and unfortunately it is pretty fussy. If the original file is not pretty well exactly the same as PD's version of the output file it will get rendered.

Use the view SVRT option under the main menu and see if your M2TS file is recognised as compliant.

If it is compliant, you should be able to split the file, delete the segment you don't want then use SVRT to produce the file.

If your clips are from a Panasonic HD camera then you are out of luck
Tamas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 08, 2009 17:52 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem! One of my friend has PowerDirector 7 (with latest update). I tried that today with my Panasonic TM-300, as I'm considering a good editing program, PowerDirector is one of the candidate. Unfortunately, it does not recognize Panasonic HD format, so SVRT can not be used! Other bad point, that after rendering a project (using exactly the same output settings (1920x1080), the quality becomes vary bad! Not comparable with the input: huge blocks, etc. It becomes awful. The file size approximately the same (+ - 1%), the Properties gives the same info for Input and output file, but the quality is poor.
Probably if SVRT would work, that could be a solution for quality issues.
We also recognized, that if we e.g. delete the last frame, using Panasonic's HD Writer program, and saved the m2ts file (quality / parameters remains the same), then PowerDirector SVRT function was working: somehow recognized, that the input / output is the same, and no video rendering is needed. Was faster of course, and just stored the output file in the same quality.
Would be nice, if SVRT function could be fixed for Panasonic cameras.

Tom
[Post New]
Hi Tamas

that if we e.g. delete the last frame, using Panasonic's HD Writer program, and saved the m2ts file (quality / parameters remains the same), then PowerDirector SVRT function was working

This is interesting. I shall follow this up. I have not been able to get PD to recognise SD9 clips as compliant ever.

Supposedly Cyberlink are going to improve the awful AVCHD rendering with the next patch but I am a bit skeptical.
A work around is to use GPU rendering to AVCHD which does a reasonable job or use mpeg2 Blu-ray profile which gives excellent results albeit with the larger file size. Unfortunately you can't use mpeg2 for hybrid discs.