Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Diagonal Wipe Transition
[Post New]
Hi!

Loving Powerdirector so far - much prefer it to Premier and Pinnacle, both of which I've tried.

I'm looking for a diagonal wipe transaition, a la Star Wars movies, but can't seem to find one? Love the fancy transitions, don't get me wrong, but am after something a bit less complex and more traditional!

Thanks in advance!

mroshaw
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Iain,

Have you fully investigated the Transition Room? In addition to the many many other transitions, have you taken a good look at…

SHOVE ..............(Up, Down, Left, Right)
SLIDE ...............(Up, Down, Left, Right)
WIPE ................(Up, Down, Left, Right)
WIPE DIRTY ......(Up, Down, Left, Right)
WIPE SOFT ........(Up, Down, Left, Right)
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Thanks for the response!

I don't think you caught the title of my post - I was looking for a 'diagonal' wipe transition. The up, down, left and right transitions are smashing, don't get my wrong, but they're not what I'm after!

Something like "Soft Wipe Right", but going from the top left to the bottom right.

Out of interest, is there any way to author custom transitions?
[Post New]
Anybody?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
mroshaw,

I don't know of any diagonal transition but try the following, follow each step precisely to see if it would work for you.

1) set project aspect ratio to 16:9
2) drag the cherry to the timeline and set pic duration for 10 seconds
3) drag windmill to the timeline and set pic duration for 10 seconds
4) set image stretch mode to stretch to 16:9 for both pics
5) add "Wipe Down Soft" transition and set duration of transition to 03:15
6) Produce to a file
7) Start a new PD7 project and import file produced in step 6
8 ) set timer to 08:07 and split the clip
9) add "Wipe Right Soft" transition and set duration of transition to 02:00
10) play movie

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 03. 2009 19:40

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
You could simply put the clips/images into Windows Movie Maker - I know - I can hear you all groaning from here! - it has a diagonal down wipe transition... save the file, then put it back into PD7 to do your other editing.

Sorry team - sometimes we need to think outside the triangle.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
JL wrote:
...try the following, follow each step precisely to see if it would work for you.

I just had to try it.
And though not perfect, it is indeed a very very clever workaround for accomplishing a pseudo diagonal wipe.
Excellent job JL! Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies, guys!
horst2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 31, 2016 11:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Use any program, which can make a Fountain Fill in the wanted direction of the wipe, like CorelDraw. Start with a page say A4 in Landscape form. Draw a full-page rectangle and Fountain-Fill 100% black to 100% white.
Save as a picture (jpg or the like) and import into a new PowerDirector. Make import active and click the "Create new alpha transition" icon in the bar directly above the library with the picture. That opens the Transition Designer, look in Help how to make modifications in the Transition Designer. "Save As" and the transition will be under Custom.
[Post New]
Quote Use any program, which can make a Fountain Fill in the wanted direction of the wipe, like CorelDraw. Start with a page say A4 in Landscape form. Draw a full-page rectangle and Fountain-Fill 100% black to 100% white.
Save as a picture (jpg or the like) and import into a new PowerDirector. Make import active and click the "Create new alpha transition" icon in the bar directly above the library with the picture. That opens the Transition Designer, look in Help how to make modifications in the Transition Designer. "Save As" and the transition will be under Custom.

In the 10 years since I posted the request, I think I may have found a workaround / given up and done something more important! Thank you for taking the time to reply though!
whyisthenameSaltyillegal [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 18, 2019 13:54 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You could simply put the clips/images into Windows Movie Maker - I know - I can hear you all groaning from here! - it has a diagonal down wipe transition... save the file, then put it back into PD7 to do your other editing.

Sorry team - sometimes we need to think outside the triangle.

Cheers -

Tony

(diagonal as in triangle. Good touch)