Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD13 - Timeline Lag / Cursor Jumps to end of timeline
RB10 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2018 07:30 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using PD13 and I've had this issue a few times before. While editing footage, trimming, transitions, etc.. nothing too out of the ordinary, once I press play, the cursor moves I can hear the sound but the footage lags a few seconds till it catches up. This continues until the cursor jumps to the end of the footage. This is making editing on PD 13 extremely frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Footages I usually edit are 1080p 60/30 FPS from OBS studios.

Pc Specs.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7921
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/19/16 10:33:17 Ver: V1.10B0
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32714MB RAM
Page File: 3520MB used, 34057MB available
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 22. 2018 07:57

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm using PD13 and I've had this issue a few times before. While editing footage, trimming, transitions, etc.. nothing too out of the ordinary, once I press play, the cursor moves I can hear the sound but the footage lags a few seconds till it catches up. This continues until the cursor jumps to the end of the footage. This is making editing on PD 13 extremely frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Footages I usually edit are 1080p 60/30 FPS from OBS studios.

Pc Specs.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7921
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/19/16 10:33:17 Ver: V1.10B0
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32714MB RAM
Page File: 3520MB used, 34057MB available
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Hi

This is a common problem with HD video. You can try using shadow files, although in PD 13 they are quite slow to generate, but they will help a lot. You can also use a lower preview resolution, and if the trouble still persists you can edit in Non-real Time. However, be aware when using NRT the audio is muted to make things easier on the hardware.

Dont worry too much about it, you are not alone HD work is very power hungry.

Good luck with it

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2018 10:52

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
RB10 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi

This is a common problem with HD video. You can try using shadow files, although in PD 13 they are quite slow to generate, but they will help a lot. You can also use a lower preview resolution, and if the trouble still persists you can edit in Non-real Time. However, be aware when using NRT the audio is muted to make things easier on the hardware.

Dont worry to much about it, you are not alone HD work is very power hungry.

Good luck with it

Thank you. Will try your recommendations.
RB10 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi

Dont worry too much about it, you are not alone HD work is very power hungry.

Good luck with it

Do shadow files often take a long time to generate? Its been hours and yet it's still not complete. All the files I'm working on are on an SSD if that is helpful at all.

File size 6-10 GB

Thank you in advance.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
How much free space is there on your SSD (I'm assuming that it's your C: drive)?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2018 04:23

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How much free space is there on your SSD (I'm assuming that it's your C: drive)?

As I said in my first response, PD13 is extremely slow to generate shadow files. PD's 15 & 16 are very much better in terms of speed.

However, there is an alternative to shadow files that you may wish to explore. It sounds complicated, but it isn't. Have a look here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43102.page Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
RB10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote How much free space is there on your SSD (I'm assuming that it's your C: drive)?

I have an additional SSD drive I bought for extra space. My SSD is 250 GB
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I should have said, "How about posting your Dxdiag output (as a txt file)". Did you try Shadowman's suggestion of editing in 'Non Real Time'? Playback in preview really stretches your system to the limit especially if you have applied effects, edits etc.
[Post New]
There are cases that I converted all the files to a video in MPEG2 720x480 (SD) this for editing, (as if it were a single shadow file).
Produced another file using SVRT to maintain the original standard (FullHD).
Note: For the case SVRT not active is not worth doing this way, I think, takes a lot and has degradation.
Editing ready on (SD), I can finalize in MPEG2 or DVD-Video.
If for another format, rename this file (SD).
When reopening project, PD asks if I want to search the file (SD), I forward to the file (FullHD) Produce for fullHD or another format.
This way the editing is smooth, however I do not have the junctions between files if I'm going to add precise transition Split there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2018 15:47

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Check the preview resolution and lower it to high or normal can help. I don't know the bitrate for the files created from obs software. 1080/60p video editing works just fine for most users.
RB10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I said in my first response, PD13 is extremely slow to generate shadow files. PD's 15 & 16 are very much better in terms of speed.
However, there is an alternative to shadow files that you may wish to explore. It sounds complicated, but it isn't. Have a look here:

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43102.page

This alternative was an absolute lifesaver. By encoding my files to a lower res I'm able to work on multiple files without a glitch.
Thank you so much.

To everyone that also gave me suggestions and alternatives, thank you as well.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Apr 30. 2018 04:11