Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does powerdirector 16 support new cuda, nvenc from nvidia?
cyberfun3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2018 10:15 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
In my test rig, I dont have hardware enabled or greyed out. Not sure if its my video card or powerdirector is not supporting the new nvidia cuda, aka nvenc.

If this is the case, when will powerdirector support nvenc?

Or its better to upgrade to AMD RX560 video card? But not sure if PD is written more support on nvidia GPU or more AMD opengl. AMD FX8300 8core 3.3Ghz,16GbDDR3
256Gb SSD,GTX1050 2Gb.Nvidia 391.24
[Post New]
Quote In my test rig, I dont have hardware enabled or greyed out. Not sure if its my video card or powerdirector is not supporting the new nvidia cuda, aka nvenc.

If this is the case, when will powerdirector support nvenc?

Or its better to upgrade to AMD RX560 video card? But not sure if PD is written more support on nvidia GPU or more AMD opengl.

Don't use CUDA driver! That driver is ONLY for Fermi or older video cards. Newer cards (Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal) use an integrated ASIC engine in the chip, don't use CUDA for decoding or encoding anymore.

The GT730 in your signature came in TWO versions - one with newer Kepler, one the older Fermi. Use GPU-Z program to find out what you have. Anyway, it is not a great video editing card, a GTX950 or GTX960 is better equipped for video editing (upgraded nvenc cores). Or any Pascal generation card.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 15. 2018 06:59

cyberfun3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Mine is the ddr5 version, GK208, I assume, this card is kepler, part of newer cards.

When I use the latest driver, encoding hardware acceleration is not available in PD15, that is why I install latest driver but I remove the new nvenc driver, then I put the old cuda driver.And HA is enabled in PD.

So I realize theres no advantage of upgrading to an nvidia video card, or upgrading to PD16, if my existing PD15 or PD16 is written for cuda and not in new nvenc.

I am planning on upgrading to AMD RX560. But no one can confirm if this is the best route, my concern is, if I am going to upgrade to AMD to avoid this cuda and nvenc issue but PD15 or PD16 is written less for AMD support. AMD FX8300 8core 3.3Ghz,16GbDDR3
[Post New]
Quote Mine is the ddr5 version, GK208, I assume, this card is kepler, part of newer cards.

When I use the latest driver, encoding hardware acceleration is not available in PD15, that is why I install latest driver but I remove the new nvenc driver, then I put the old cuda driver.And HA is enabled in PD.

So I realize theres no advantage of upgrading to an nvidia video card, or upgrading to PD16, if my existing PD15 or PD16 is written for cuda and not in new nvenc.

I am planning on upgrading to AMD RX560. But no one can confirm if this is the best route, my concern is, if I am going to upgrade to AMD to avoid this cuda and nvenc issue but PD15 or PD16 is written less for AMD support.

I have used GT740, GTX960 and RX580 (now) with PD and they are all supported. Don't know why your card is not supported, it should be, being a Kepler.
cyberfun3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Most likely I will upgrade to AMD, 100$ range video card, maybe RX 560, when price will be back to MSRP. Both nvidia and amd cards are crazy high this time. Thanks for sharing some insight. AMD FX8300 8core 3.3Ghz,16GbDDR3
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
cyberfun3, a few items to think about prior to throwing that $100+ at a RX 560 purchase based on experience of having the cards. Yes, any GPU "works" with PD but the details of what features of the GPU are really supported is difficult to find, I've highlighted a few unique items.

PD16 v2524 and AMD RX 560 with Adrenalin 18.3.4 drivers
a) Only progressive formats supported for H.264 in the Produce module
b) H.265 hardware encoding is broken, you don’t get the bitrates you expect, quality issues, decode issues…. Initially exposed here over a year ago and still not fully functional: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/50731.page#post_box_267005
c) Some decoding anomalies for some formats and also timeline decoding (playback)
d) You can use hardware encoding in the Create Disc module for BD formats but only progressive profiles
e) RX560 for H.264 encoding is significantly slower (1.5-4x) for most standard Produce profiles (1920, 3840, 4K), equal on a few, vs a GTX1070. A brief comparison of 960/970 and 1070 was shown here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/48751.page#post_box_255376

PD16 v2524 and Nvidia GTX1070 with 388.71 drivers
a) Same H.264 progressive formats supported as AMD but also 1920 x 1080 interlaced supported in the Produce module
b) H.265 hardware encoding functional and significantly faster than a high-end CPU encoding
c) Some decoding anomalies for some formats and also timeline decoding (playback) but overall rather functional
d) You cannot use hardware encoding in Create Disk module for BD formats (interlaced or progressive) as CL deactivated it in a PD15 patch and has yet to fix the issue in PD15 and/or PD16. https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50742.page#post_box_267502
e) H.264 NVENC encoding on GTX960/970 and/or 1070 significantly faster than VCE on RX560 with PD16

If you want a direct comparison of some particular Produce format and a timeline of yours feel free to PM me a PD pack project you’ve shared someplace.

Jeff