Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Tips on Greenscreen
strifemit [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 15, 2017 20:17 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I have plenty of lighting but still not getting my picture as clean as I would like. I had to move into my office because of lighting and it is a bit small. I have 2 Tolifo 176S Led lights and 2 softboxes but find it difficult to improve. Any tips on lighting to improve the results? I have assumed it is the lighting.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem. First of all: Try to lighten your green screen as evenly as possible. Then have a look at the effects room, NewBlue Video Essentials VI. They are all test versions, but try out "NewBlue Chroma Key Pro". It brought much better results as the builtin chroma keyer. You would find it better to get a small program: jcpicker, because the effect does not have acolor picker. The little program is a good workaround. I bought the effect package fpr 49 dollars.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
strifemit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I had the same problem. First of all: Try to lighten your green screen as evenly as possible. Then have a look at the effects room, NewBlue Video Essentials VI. They are all test versions, but try out "NewBlue Chroma Key Pro". It brought much better results as the builtin chroma keyer. You would find it better to get a small program: jcpicker, because the effect does not have acolor picker. The little program is a good workaround. I bought the effect package fpr 49 dollars.

Hatti

Thank you. Will look at them.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
There are many tips and tutorials for green/blue screen techniques to be found on Youtube, I advise you to watch a few if you have not.

• Bright even lighting

• Light source with a high CRI

• No wrinkles in your screen. None!

• Try different camera settings, 60i vs 30P vs 60P, etc.

• Is your screen a quality color? I returned my first screen as the green was too "piney" rather than vivid florescent green.

You may even be affected by the fact that consumer cameras record in highly compressed formats and throw out much of the color information that pro cameras save.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2018 15:31

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
strifemit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There are many tips and tutorials for green/blue screen techniques to be found on Youtube, I advise you to watch a few if you have not.

• Bright even lighting

• Is your screen a quality color? I returned my first screen as the green was too "piney" rather than vivid florescent green.

You may even be affected by the fact that consumer cameras record in highly compressed formats and throw out much of the color information that pro cameras save.

Thank you. I got the green screen from a camera shop. I will iron it again to make sure any minor creases disappear. I'll try everything else too. Even light seems to be the main problem and I'll try the different options you suggested. I am using the webcam Logitech C920 HD Pro.
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi
I have plenty of lighting but still not getting my picture as clean as I would like. I had to move into my office because of lighting and it is a bit small. I have 2 Tolifo 176S Led lights and 2 softboxes but find it difficult to improve. Any tips on lighting to improve the results? I have assumed it is the lighting.

Go pickup the APP "Green Screener" This is what I use on my cell phone. I point it at the green screen and it shows me where I lack light and need to add more light. Best app I ever bought for doing my green screens PowerDirector Tutorials Team
strifemit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi

Go pickup the APP "Green Screener" This is what I use on my cell phone. I point it at the green screen and it shows me where I lack light and need to add more light. Best app I ever bought for doing my green screens

Looks fantastic. Can't wait until I get back to Auckland and try it. THank you.
[Post New]
Quote There are many tips and tutorials for green/blue screen techniques to be found on Youtube, I advise you to watch a few if you have not.

• Bright even lighting

Just remember that your SUBJECT needs to be brightly lit - lighting the green screen too brightly will create a green "halo" of reflection around your subject that you will not be able to get rid of and the background will eat into your subject's border. I actually light my green screen cooler so that no green refelction bounces off of my subject. Note that Hollywood does not use brightly lit green - they cool it down for the same reasons. This is how they are able to get realistic results.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Just remember that your SUBJECT needs to be brightly lit - lighting the green screen too brightly will create a green "halo" of reflection around your subject that you will not be able to get rid of and the background will eat into your subject's border. I actually light my green screen cooler so that no green refelction bounces off of my subject. Note that Hollywood does not use brightly lit green - they cool it down for the same reasons. This is how they are able to get realistic results.
Also good information, though I submit that a lighting team and $30,000 cameras may have some affect on the outcome. My best green screen attempt.
[Post New]
Also good information, though I submit that a lighting team and $30,000 cameras may have some affect on the outcome. My best green screen attempt.

Looks great, but the "green halo" around your subject can be avoided by shooting with a cooler green screen. Super bright green is what causes that. I have softboxes that I light my screen with at about half power and I get better results. When I crank them up to full, I get green halos around my subjects that I can't clean up.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I did that in my living room, a small space, and just no room for really getting set up properly. Green screen is finicky, but can be a lot of fun. Practice practice practice.
NOTE: The Audio/video is slightly off due to the need (for the Cyberlink contest) to use the in-suite uploader and for me it never produced in-synce A/V.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2018 05:23

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT