Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Clip video to the music, or clip music to the video?
[Post New]
I don't know why I'm struggling with this so badly, but I am. So I've finally admitted to myself (after about a year of trying) that I need help. :

I mostly use my drone to create videos. The videos are amazing, of course, but...I can't figure out the best way to add a musical score to them.

I normally clip out the unnecessary parts of the videos, then I struggle to find music that a)suits the mood, and b)syncs up nicely with the transitions.

I thought maybe I should find a good piece of music and then clip the video to that, but I'm at a loss on how to do that.

So...any pro tips on how to make a nice piece of music fit with just the parts of the video that I want to save?

Thanks!
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don't know why I'm struggling with this so badly, but I am. So I've finally admitted to myself (after about a year of trying) that I need help. :

I mostly use my drone to create videos. The videos are amazing, of course, but...I can't figure out the best way to add a musical score to them.

I normally clip out the unnecessary parts of the videos, then I struggle to find music that a)suits the mood, and b)syncs up nicely with the transitions.

I thought maybe I should find a good piece of music and then clip the video to that, but I'm at a loss on how to do that.

So...any pro tips on how to make a nice piece of music fit with just the parts of the video that I want to save?

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if you edit your video as you want it and place it on the timeline. The timeline will tell you the duration. Seek out your MP3 music and load it into the Media Room. From there drag it down to a track below the video and place it directly underneath. If the two lengths do not match you could simply fade out the music when the video is complete, or if the video is too long, maybe some sort of sound effects.

As a for instance. I do a lot of garden work, and if the video doesn't exactly match the audio I put something like bird song in or even weather sounds. There are lot of variations you could consider. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I have AudioDirector 8 Ultra. It has a new feature: automatically adjust the duration of a music clip to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EIideekX-g

What I don't know is, if AudioDirector 8 works together with PowerDirector 15. Have a look at the test version.
What I do: fade out the music after the scene. It has to be done manually.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What I don't know is, if AudioDirector 8 works together with PowerDirector 15. Have a look at the test version.

It probably will work. Here is a tutorial on that in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgBA8WG72f4&feature=youtu.be .
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
When I have to do this I first create my video file and look how long it runs for. I then delve into my music folder and change the file list order so they are sorted by the length of the tracks. There's usually something very close to what I'm looking for, and I can also choose multiple tems knowing the complete length if necessary.

After choosing my music track and dropping it into the audio timeline I make a final adjustment (if it's needed) by specifying the exact length of the video using power tools/video speed where you can adjust the length down to the hrs:mins:seconds:frames.
[Post New]
Thanks all, and my apologies...it's hard to describe what trying to ask. : I was wondering if most of you find music to fit your videos, or if you shoot videos to fit music that you like. But I suppose the circumstances could warrant either approach, so I guess that's not really a fair question.

What I really wanted to know is: once I find the video and the audio I want, how do I chop them up and make them fit together like 90% of the videos I see on youtube (and every commercial, tv show, and movie that I see)?

I did some more searching last night, and I may have cracked the code. This one special youtube video showed me how to select a part of a clip by dragging the little yellow handles on either side of the shuttle. I didn't know you could do that in PD (I'd always hoped so, but never figured it out), but now that I know this "trick", I can do amazing things in PD!!

So here's a process I started experimenting with last night, and I'm seeing some great results! I would love to get feedback on this method and hear of other methods as well:

• I drop the full video and full audio tracks onto their own timelines.

• Now I chop up the audio track (only) at the "critical" points: beats, cymbol crashes, distortion guitar, etc.

• Then I slide the individual audio clips to the right (on that track) to line them up the peices in the video where they make sense.

• This leaves me with many "blank" spots on music track, and a continuous video on the video track.

• Now, because of that video I found, I simply click the video track, then "select" the parts of the video that are directly over blank areas of the audio track, and click the "Remove" button that appears above the timeline.

• And viola: a video synced to the music appears!!

The problems I see is that it takes a lot of work, and getting the audio clipped just right is a challenge. Audio tracks that don't have so many transitions in them is probaby an easier way to get started.

Thoughts? Is there an easier / less time consuming process?

Thanks for reading this wall of text! :
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Of course, it's hard, dirty, time consuming work, that costs you hours. And your wife looking unhappy. But the result will be beautiful and then your wife will look lovely and you know, what that means for sure! laughing
So, for you the music clip is important and you do the video along the audio. Good. I don't see a way to automatise that, you can try the "automatic beat detection" (right click on audio - Use Automatic music beat detection), but what you do is the manual way and I don't believe, that the automatism brings the same result.
Whats left? Where is your channel, I also want to see the result cool

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Chasbro [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 30, 2018 13:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm hardly one to give advise, but this works for me.
Import the video to the library and let it sit while it generates the shadow file. It needs to have the green check mark.
Then drag it to the time line. Then import your music and drag it down. Now essentially, you build the video by deleting the parts that are not wanted, and keeping the 6 or 7 second chunks you want to keep. Most music has a basic melody that repeats every 6 or so seconds. Anyway, keep backing up so you can hear the music and make the cuts at the right time. Here's a video from my new Parrot Anafi with this technique.
https://youtu.be/I4iLUR3d8vs