Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Lossless AVI not fully supported?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Members,
I often capture and produce in uncompressed or mathematically lossless AVI files.
This is helpful in analog capture to avoid MPEG artifacts.
These AVI codecs can only be accessed in a 32-bit version of PD, so I use my old trusty PD12 in 32-bit.
However, I want to edit them in PD16, but the files react poorly, I get a multi-color crosshatch preview when I apply certain fixes/enhancements to clean up the video. Lets face it, VHS was a terrible format.
So...I can use FX as part of the clean up restoration process, Boris and New Blue have FX that can do that to some degree, and those work fine, it's the in-house fixes (stabilizer, lighting, enhance, etc) that trigger the error.
Oddly though the Color control does not trigger anything.
I would like to know if anyone else gets this error?
I have placed a link to 3 file-types, Magic, Lagareth, and Huffyuv. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the downloads.
Page of downloadable files

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 17. 2018 14:27

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is the preview I get in PD16, using most any enhancement. Magic and Lagareth both do this. HuffYUV seems to be working. FastCodec and Toponoky won't even import into 14 and 16, but work in V12.
.AVI error
[Thumb - MagicYUV error.jpg]
 Filename
MagicYUV error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
MagicYUV error
 Filesize
578 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 15. 2018 20:12

Roland vl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2017 03:44 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... HuffYUV seems to be working.

Test with HuffYUV-file
I used a lot HuffYUV on my old Vista computer for compressing animated sequences, but on my win10 (64bit) I have not installed this encoder. PD16 refused to import this HuffYUV-file (..file is broeken, unsupported format...). But this file played well with VLC and MPC-HC-players.
What I am doing now with HuffYUV-files or image sequences?
I 'll compressed them outside PD (with Megui/x264 with very high crf) and that result will be imported in PD.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
HuffYUV works, and also UTvideo codec.
I guess those will be my go-to lossless codecs for capture.
There are many more, some do not work at all, others capture with dropped frames.
So, that is it for now, I am guessing it's my video card that may dislike some of these codecs, I am getting better compatability after updating (clean install) of my graphics driver.
This entire process might make a nice little TooT for those who want to capture tape and fix 'em up without totally destroying the quality (such as it is) of the tape.

However, this qwik list will help.

• Take an old unused download of a previous PD version and remove the 64-bit exe.

• Install (no need for content packs).

• Download FFDShow and install.

• Find HuffYUV and UTvideo and install those codecs.

A quality capture card is essential. I recommend Hauppage or VC-500 USB sticks. Do not buy cheap capture cards.
You should really have an S-video VCR, and to keep it as inexpensive as possible, rather than a dedicated Time Base Corrector (mine is $400 used) one can use a DMR-ES15, or ES10 Panasonic unit as a pass-thru and it will eliminate much of the wiggling you see in tape, especially the tearing at the very top. So it goes, Analog camera (if needed to play tape) to the VCR to the ES-15 to the capture dongle to computer.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 17. 2018 10:24

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I am finding a loose correlation between my computer's thumbnail images of my sample video files, and whether PD will play nicely with them. If my thumbnails have that same crosshatch error, it won't play nice in PD, (Lagareth, MagicYUV). Some thumbnails do display, but the file will not import (FastCodec and Toponoky).
Both FastCodec and Topoky import and work fine in PD12!

My belief is this error or errors is somewhat system specific and also specific to the version of PD you use! Much depending on the graphics card, driver, and only God knows what else can annoy a computer. For my usage, HuffYUV and UT will suffice, I think there are 2 or 3 other lossless codecs I can try that will work but if I keep searching I'll never get anything done. I will keep those samples on my site if anyone ever wants to try them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2018 14:52