Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New 9:16 Ratio for Vertical Videos Not Working?
Sheilaq6931 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2017 09:20 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

I updated my PowerDirector 16 (to Version 16.0.2524.0) to use the new 9:16 aspect ratio to produce a vertical video for Facebook. I created the video from .jpg images that I pre-sized in PhotoShop to 1080px Wide X 1920 px H and 72 ppi. Set the Aspect Ratio in PD16 to 9:16 before beginning the project.

I ceated a simple video with only fade transitions between images. No title text.

"Produced" to H.264/mp4 - used a custom profile changing the resolution to 1080 X 1920. Left frame rate at 29.97 fps. Produced the video but it is horizontal when played. Also horizontal when uploaded to Facebook.

What am I doing wrong????? Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. Oh, in case it matters, I'm running PD16 on a Windows 7 Pro Lenovo T430 laptop. Thanks a bunch!

SheilaQ
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Sheilaq6931 -

I've barely made any 9:16 videos with PDR16, except for testing (like now).

Questions: Was your project set to 9:16? If so, why did you need to make a custom profile? There's a 1080x1920 profile in defaults.

Anyway - I produced a short 9:16 video using PDR16 and found that it played correctly in some media players (GOM Player & Films&TV), but sideways in others (MPC-HC).

When I uploaded it to Facebook it looked like it was going to be messed up...

... but when I pressed "Play" it put itself right...

Here's the video on Facebook. It's in a 16:9 player but plays correctly.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Sheilaq6931 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good morning Tony,

Thank you SO much for your reply and for having taken the time to test out the video issue. I thought for sure I was doing something wrong. But, when you followed through with actually viewing a vertical video on Facebook correctly and learned it does not show before being played being in the vertical position, I realized I had jumped the gun. :

Oh, and as for the custom profile, I just did that so I can name it for a specific purpose. I must say though, that the fact that the video shows horizontally before being played, reaks a bit of havoc on the aesthetic part of the video - at least the one I made, as the first image has text on it which is all skewed before being played. Maybe the FB folks have a ways to go to truly adapt the vertical format within FB posts. Would be nice if they could display the proper orientation from the get-go.

Oh well . . . at least I know, now, that it works. I have since uploaded my short video and did discover that when played, it re-orients itself correctly. Again, thank you for the time you put into testing and replying to me. Hope you have a great Friday and a super weekend!!

Sincerely,
Sheila
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again Sheila -

There's a fix (or two) for the distorted sideways thumbnails Facebook generates from a 9:16 video.

When you're uploading the video, you'll see there's an option to "Add Thumbnail". You can select any frame from the video but, with 9:16 videos the thumbnail will be distorted.

If you add a custom 16:9 image, made separately from the video, the thumbnail displayed in Facebook will be just right.

Here's a 9:16 video, made from a slideshow like yours, on Facebook.

The other option is to build the 9:16 slideshow/video & produce to a 9:16 format/profile... then plant that produced video on a background in a new 16:9 project. After producing to a 16:9 format/profile, upload the video to Facebook and there won't be the same issues.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Sheilaq6931 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thank you again for your reply and for taking the time to troubleshoot my issue some more. Of course, AFTER (ha ha) I uploaded the video to Facebook, I thought back in my mind about it and realized that I could have done the custom 16:9 thumbnail to have it display before the video starts. It's a learning experience. : I think I prefer doing the "Add Thumbnail" vs. your second recommendation. But, again, I appreciate both options. So, I'll know better next time.

Thank you again, have a super evening, and a great (soon) upcoming weekend! :

Sheila