Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Tool: Converting Videos with Multi Mono to Stereo Tracks prior to editing in PD
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
I've a new Canon XF400 and when recording using LPCM, it writes an MP4 File out with 4 seperate Mono Audio Streams. From what I've seen, and other posts on this subject, it appears that that PD only supports a single Audio Stream (the first one) and that there is no (easy) way of mapping LPCM Mono Stream 1 --> Left, and LPCM Mono Stream 2 --> Right for authoring to a single Stereo Stream.

I could use other programs but..... instead here is a Link to a little FFMPEG Batch that will let you pre-process you clips prior to importing them into PD:

• run over all MP4 files in the folder

• map LPCM Stream 1 --> Left, LPCM Stream 2 --> Right

• copy (not transocde) the Video and Audio (so it is very quick and has no quality loss)

• save it out as an MKV (in the format of originalname.mp4.mkv)

Notes:

• The basic FFMPEG command is "ffmpeg -i "input.mp4" -map 0:0 -c:v copy -filter_complex "[0:1][0:2] amerge=inputs=2" -c:a pcm_s16le "output.mkv" and you could change it as needed.

• The FFMPEG version in the Zip file is Windows 64-Bit

[Thumb - MixDownAudio2.png]
 Filename
MixDownAudio2.png
[Disk]
 Description
Pic of Multi Mono to Stereo Mix
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 24. 2018 21:30

PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
[Post New]
You opened the audio in AudioDirector or WaveEditor from PD16 and it shows only 1 channel is that.
PD16 shows only one wave but in reality they are 2 L and R channels. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi jmone -

Highly adaptable piece of gear, that XF400. Makes my poor old XA20 look a bit sad frown You've possibly seen this, but I'll post it here in case anyone's interested.

Thanks for posting your procedure for getting all the audio into PDR.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Yes I've watched the entire series Canon posted... but so much to learn! Looks like with the bigger/better glass and a 1" sensor I've now got depth of field as well for the first time to play with on shots. As this cam is physically much larger than what I'm used too, I'm a bit worried about the practicalities of carting it around (also got a GoProHero6 at the other end of the spectrum).

It's also great having high bit rate (150mbps) UHD @ 50fps though, stuff like how the Audio is muxed is also pressing the boundaries of PD…. and when they add XF-AVC (firmware update TBA) I'll be interested to see of PD handles that (or if there is any benefit over the existing MP4 wrapper).

Also, while that batch file works for me, I could probably knock up a little GUI so users could drag and drop such files into it for pre-processing prior to importing into PD but I presume not many have such files. It's a bit odd that PD does only exposes the first audio streams but then again, this is the first camera I've had that writes each audio input out to it's own track! I guess owners of such cameras use other progs for their workflow.

Thanks Nathan PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
GoPro Hero6 Black
jmone
[Post New]
Quote You opened the audio in AudioDirector or WaveEditor from PD16 and it shows only 1 channel is that.
PD16 shows only one wave but in reality they are 2 L and R channels.

Apologies if I was not clear in my OP. The Canon XF400 records up to 4 separate Mono tracks in LPCM mode (eg you can have a boom mike on Audio Track 1, Lapel Mike on Track 2 etc). This is also the case when just using it's internal Stereo Mike. It does not output a single Stereo Track but Left goes to Track 1 and Right goes to Track 2 as separate mono audio streams.

Unfortunately, PD will only import and process the Audio on Track 1 so you don't get any of the audio from Track 2, 3 or 4 (and hence when producing you end up with a Stereo Track in PD that has only the Left Audio on both channels). What my batch file does is to copy the original Mono Track 1 (Left) and Mono Track 2 (Right) into a new Stereo Track 1 so you get both the original Left and Right preserved.

Thanks
Nathan PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
GoPro Hero6 Black