Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shadow or no shadow
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
There seems to be some debate as to whether shadow files are of any real benefit.

As a relative newcomer I always understood the value was that producing lower resolution files for use in editing when you might want to drag fowards and backwards on the timeline would produce a smoother and more responsive visual effect, but it now seems this may not be the whole story.

Issues of pc power - quantity of memory - power of GPU etc seem to bear relevance - and now Support are actually recommending turning off shadow files as a possible cure to the "Audio wave does not display in PD16" thread.

What is your opinion? Apart from the possible affect on the above threads issue - do shadow files really improve the visual appearance when dragging back/fowards through the timeline? Is available RAM an influence on the shadow file debate? Are other parameters of the host system relevant?

Like most - I love a smoothe scroll when dragging backwards or fowards on the timeline trying to locate a particular point, it feels and looks most professional, but is at the end of the day so much easier to work with than constantly wondering if the visual position you're at actually matches where the grabber is.

Try using NewBlue Titler Pro (even the free old v1.5) and you will get a beautiful demonstration of just how sweet live scrolling back and forward can be when the coders took the trouble to write sweet software. not that I am expecting PD16 to equal that demo, I still think smoothe scrolling is a very nice feature - but whether shadow files on any particular setup help or not is where I would value the thoughts of this forum.

Cheers
Alan.
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There seems to be some debate as to whether shadow files are of any real benefit.

As a relative newcomer I always understood the value was that producing lower resolution files for use in editing when you might want to drag fowards and backwards on the timeline would produce a smoother and more responsive visual effect, but it now seems this may not be the whole story.

Issues of pc power - quantity of memory - power of GPU etc seem to bear relevance - and now Support are actually recommending turning off shadow files as a possible cure to the "Audio wave does not display in PD16" thread.

What is your opinion? Apart from the possible affect on the above threads issue - do shadow files really improve the visual appearance when dragging back/fowards through the timeline? Is available RAM an influence on the shadow file debate? Are other parameters of the host system relevant?

Like most - I love a smoothe scroll when dragging backwards or fowards on the timeline trying to locate a particular point, it feels and looks most professional, but is at the end of the day so much easier to work with than constantly wondering if the visual position you're at actually matches where the grabber is.

Try using NewBlue Titler Pro (even the free old v1.5) and you will get a beautiful demonstration of just how sweet live scrolling back and forward can be when the coders took the trouble to write sweet software. not that I am expecting PD16 to equal that demo, I still think smoothe scrolling is a very nice feature - but whether shadow files on any particular setup help or not is where I would value the thoughts of this forum.

Cheers
Alan.

The appearance is likely better w/o SF but a lot depends on your pc. Mine will do HD w/o SF but for UHD it is a must for anything longer than 10 min. See specs below. For most laptops it is a must.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A