Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
View Designer and Rendering in PD16
tnw2933 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United States Joined: Oct 15, 2011 17:11 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I have prepared a 23 minute video using a mix of still images and 360. video shot with the Insta360 One camera. I am running the latest version of PD16 with all updates on a new iMac Pro (10 core, 64GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 64 Vega CPU with 16 GB of VRAM) while booted in Windows 10 (also all updates). Please note that I am booted natively in Windows. I am not using a virutal machine or emulation. I notice that the second I used View Designer playback in my timeline even at low reolution preview settings became ultra slow (like 2-3 fps). I had no trouble playing back the 360 video footage until I used View Designer to select angles of view and key framed those settings. I finshed the project, and went to Produce it. I tried both HEVC and h. 264, but rendering was excruciatingly slow. This 23 minute project was going to take more than 8 hours to render so I cancelled rendering after 25 minutes. Please note that I had selected Fast Rendering and that I had both Use Hardware encoding turned on.

I feel that I must be missing something about using View Designer with 360 video. I have played back and Produced several 360 video projects that did not use View Designer and all played bak from the timeline with no dropped frames and rendered quite nicely.

I am new to using PD16 so I may well be missing something when it comes to using View Designer with 360 video footage. I would apreciate it if any of you have any idea what that might be.

Thank you in advance for responding.

Tom Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8 GHz
Windows 7 64-bit with Boot Camp
nVidia GTX285
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

The View Designer is for converting 360 video footage to a conventional 2D video. So the outcome will not be a 360 video, which is what I think you are expecting.

I don't know anything about running Windows on a Mac, so can't help you there. PowerDirector is designed for Windows PCs, so rendering high quality video such as HEVC on a non PC, even with Windows installed, would not run optimally you'd think. Maybe PepsiMan or someone can explain more on that.

David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 08. 2018 21:55

tnw2933 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

The View Designer is for converting 360 video footage to a conventional 2D video. So the outcome will not be a 360 video, which is what I think you are expecting.

I don't know anything about running Windows on a Mac, so can't help you there. PowerDirector is designed for Windows PCs, so rendering high quality video such as HEVC on a non PC, even with Windows installed, would not run optimally you'd think. Maybe PepsiMan or someone can explain more on that.

David

David,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I fully understand that View Designer is for conveerting 360 video footage to 2D video, and I was not expecting a 360 video. In fact when in View Designer, I was able to key frame my amera angles exaclty as I wanted, and the video played in teh View Designer Window smothly with the camerra panning from one camera angle to the next exaclty as it should. However, when I selected "OK" in the View Designer Window and returned to the timeline, the clip would play at only about 1-3 fps. Before taking the 360 footage into View Designer it had played back normally on the timeline at full frame rate.

When a Mac is booted natively into Windows 10, it behaves like any PC. I run tons of editing software on my iMa Pro in Windows 10 without any problems, and PD 16 has not given me any problem until I tried to use View Designer on 360 video footage.

nVidia GTX285
tnw2933 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have prepared a 23 minute video using a mix of still images and 360. video shot with the Insta360 One camera. I am running the latest version of PD16 with all updates on a new iMac Pro (10 core, 64GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 64 Vega CPU with 16 GB of VRAM) while booted in Windows 10 (also all updates). Please note that I am booted natively in Windows. I am not using a virutal machine or emulation. I notice that the second I used View Designer playback in my timeline even at low reolution preview settings became ultra slow (like 2-3 fps). I had no trouble playing back the 360 video footage until I used View Designer to select angles of view and key framed those settings. I finshed the project, and went to Produce it. I tried both HEVC and h. 264, but rendering was excruciatingly slow. This 23 minute project was going to take more than 8 hours to render so I cancelled rendering after 25 minutes. Please note that I had selected Fast Rendering and that I had both Use Hardware encoding turned on.

I feel that I must be missing something about using View Designer with 360 video. I have played back and Produced several 360 video projects that did not use View Designer and all played bak from the timeline with no dropped frames and rendered quite nicely.

I am new to using PD16 so I may well be missing something when it comes to using View Designer with 360 video footage. I would apreciate it if any of you have any idea what that might be.

Thank you in advance for responding.

Tom

I solved the problem of playng back my 360 video clips in the timeline of PD16 after applying some key frames in View Designer. The solution was to allow PD16 to create 1080p shadow files of my 360 video clips. Now the timeline plays back smoothly and I can do a much better job of editing the video. Of course, this did nothing to resolve the long render times when it comes to producing the entire project. With hardware encoding and OpenCL turned on I was able to render the entire 23 minute project (about 80% of which consists of 360 video clips shot with the Insta360 One camera, 10% is iPhone 4K 60p footage, and 10% consists of still images shot with a Canon 5D Mark IV) in 9 hr 20 min without any problems using the h.264 codec at 3840X2160 resolution. Today I plan to render small segments of this project wihtout hardware encoding or Open CL enabled and see if it makes any difference. I also plan to try using the HEVC codec to see if that lengthens or shortens the rendering time. During my h.264 render last night, I noticed that Task Manager was showing only about 3-5 % of my CPU being used and only 3.5% of my GPU being used. I think the poor use of my 10 core iMac Pro's CPU and GPU resources by PD16 accounts for the extremely long rendering time.

nVidia GTX285