Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Flash going from slow to fast (and vice versa)
colehatch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2017 11:38 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Curious if there's a way to correct this. When I take a clip and split it, then adjust the video speed from fast to slow or slow to fast there's a quick flash (or bright flicker) when it transitions. Is there anyway to keep it from doing that? I'm far from an expert but tried doing a color match and that didn't seem to do anything.

In some cases it's more sublte than others but it's a thing. I'd like to eliminate it if possible.

Examples:

At about 1:29 here

At about 1:50 here

Thanks!!

Jeff
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Curious if there's a way to correct this. When I take a clip and split it, then adjust the video speed from fast to slow or slow to fast there's a quick flash (or bright flicker) when it transitions. Is there anyway to keep it from doing that? I'm far from an expert but tried doing a color match and that didn't seem to do anything.

In some cases it's more sublte than others but it's a thing. I'd like to eliminate it if possible.

Examples:

At about 1:29 here

At about 1:50 here

Thanks!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Well I just played both videos and no flashes anywhere. Can only wonder if your equipment maybe the cause?? You are of course running PD16 fully up to date? Sorry but its difficult to be more helpful when I cannot see the problem. One suggestion - zoom in max on the timeline at the point the flicker occurs - can you see a gap or some other anomoly that might explain the flicker? Often been the reason when I have similar odd effects, its the almost too small to see oddity thats often the cause. Misplaced opacity or brilliance can creep in and only be seen at max zoom.

Maybe others will report differently.

Color match works for me but obviously needs some sort of imbalance in the coloring of the two images/clips for there to be any noticeable change. I often work on projects that have clips or images sourced from two different cameras and then I see quite different color renditions that are equipment introduced especially when both were capturing at the same time thus physical parameters sunlight clouds etc would have been the same.

Alan.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff -

Well that's a turn up for the books. Alan couldn't spot it but I did. It's a bit harder to spot in the Michigan Fall video, but in the DJI video it's obvious.

At about 1:25, the screen colour jumps as if a transition is breaking up.

Jeff - why does the screen look "split" during that overhead shot, starting at about 1:22? (probably not a related question). Is that colour glitch in the original clip?

Did you produce using hardware acceleration? If so, the first thing I'd try is turning that OFF.

Nice videos anyway, Jeff. It's well worth getting them right.

Cheers - Yony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff -

Well that's a turn up for the books. Alan couldn't spot it but I did. It's a bit harder to spot in the Michigan Fall video, but in the DJI video it's obvious.

At about 1:25, the screen colour jumps as if a transition is breaking up.

Jeff - why does the screen look "split" during that overhead shot, starting at about 1:22? (probably not a related question). Is that colour glitch in the original clip?

Did you produce using hardware acceleration? If so, the first thing I'd try is turning that OFF.

Nice videos anyway, Jeff. It's well worth getting them right.

Cheers - Yony

Puzzling - definitely no flicker at or around 1:27 on DJI clip either at reduced image or full screen.

no screen color jump either undecided

"split" at around 1:22 I would guess maybe sunlight getting in the lens?

Alan.

PS Yony right - videos are good!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2018 07:59

colehatch [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Everyone thanks for the respsones.

YNOY described it more accurately than I did. It's more of a color change than a flash. There is a slight flash on some of them but not all. It's for sure noticable in the DJI video. The one I'm working on right now that I haven't uploaded yet is very noticeable. It's surprising because it's the same clip (one video recording) that was split and just had a different speed applied. It's not from seperate video clips or even different cameras.

The split you see in the drone video is from the sun shining down the river. It was a low sun creeping through trees that made it look like that. Looks crazy on screen...I thought it was awesome looking once you know what it is.

I just checked and there is an update to PD16. Tried to run it but it errored. Had this email 3/4 typed so I'm going to reboot and try installing it again.

Hardware acceleration is turned off. I have it turned off all the time as it was causing me other issues.

I'm going to isolate the 2 clips I have right now that are doing it and upload them somewhere. They are more visible than the others. There clips have more of the flash though that a color change.

Thanks again!!

Jeff
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Sometimes looking at the video clips using storyboard view helps find glitches.

The second video looks like there is a gap between the clips. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
colehatch [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is another example of one I'm working on. For some reason the 1st video example didn't "flicker" this time when produced. It did in the longer video that included the same exact clip. Now the 2nd one is really noticeable both when it speeds up (@ 13 seconds) and then slows down (@ 15 seconds). The slow down at 15 seconds is what I've seen mostly and looks bad. I haven't checked for gaps between clips yet but will do so this evening when I get home.

Thanks!

Jeff
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Here is another example of one I'm working on. For some reason the 1st video example didn't "flicker" this time when produced. It did in the longer video that included the same exact clip. Now the 2nd one is really noticeable both when it speeds up (@ 13 seconds) and then slows down (@ 15 seconds). The slow down at 15 seconds is what I've seen mostly and looks bad. I haven't checked for gaps between clips yet but will do so this evening when I get home.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Just for info. I saw no flickering or flashes on any of the videos. I tried them all a couple of times, and there was nothing untoward.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I watched the first clip 5 times. With and without glasses. Full screen and not. No flicker.
I used Firefox 58.0.1 64bit, MS Edge and google chrome with my NVidia GTX960 4GB Driver 390.65.
Maybe a hardware acceleration problem?

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
colehatch [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm perplexed but have to trust the majority. I've tried 3 different devices on 2 different networks and still see the video turn slightly lighter at about 15\16 seonds when going from fast down river to slow again.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff & all -

We're totally up against it here because there are so many variables. First up, we are looking at a YouTube rendition (which is processed at ~6Mbps).

Jeff - when do you observe those flickering sections? In PDR's preview? In the produced video? On YouTube? All of the above?

I was starting to wonder if I was seeing things after reading Alan's, Robert's & Hatti's comments... but I'm convinced I am not. What I said earlier about "breaking up" is what I see in Jeff's "Test Flicker Clips". Seriously, parts of it (during speed changes) look like it was generated by a Minecraft animator! Here's a partial screenshot from 15:18

I know the DJI didn't shoot it like that!

Guys - have a look at the four screenshots (zip). They are taken from consecutive frames 00:00:13:21 & 00:00:13:22 and 00:00:15:20 & 00:00:15:21. Open them in your image editor & switch between the consecutive frames. That's what's happening in the video & that's the flickering Jeff is concerned about... but it's all tied in with the pixelated Minecraft issue!

So Jeff - could you please post:
The detailed properties of the original DJI clip in your Flicker Test - use MediaInfo
The detailed properties of the produced file

Also, if possible, could you upload one of your original DJI clips?

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2018 14:16

colehatch [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony...thanks so much for the detailed investigation. I really appreciate it. I'm just leaving work and will repsond to this when I get all the info gathered this evening.

Thanks again!!!

Jeff
colehatch [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony (and Everyone),

Thanks again for all your help. What do you think could be causing the Minecraft thing? Is it the way I've upload\download videos from device from PC or PC to PD16, maybe post prodections settings?

Responding to your questions in order.

1) when do you observe those flickering sections? In PDR's preview? In the produced video? On YouTube? All of the above? I believe it's all of the above. When it first started I figured it was probably just the preview and it'd be fine in final production. When I observe the flicker (or it getting lighter) in preview it shows in post production as well and on all media.

I just took the same raw clip (river scene), dropped it into a new project in PD16 and split it into 3 sections. First 1/3 was normal speed, 2/3 was fast speed and 3/3 was slowed down. All looked fine in PD16 preview and came out fine when produced. Ha...go figure.

2) The detailed properties of the original DJI clip in your Flicker Test. Attached - Let me know if this wasn't the detail you were looking for.

3) The detailed properties of the produced file. Attached - Let me know if this wasn't the detail you were looking for.

4) Also, if possible, could you upload one of your original DJI clips?

Here's the entire clip that the river slow\fast\slow was taken from. It's towards the end of the clip.

Thanks again!

Jeff
 Filename
ProducedClip.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
207 time(s)
 Filename
OriginalClip.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
206 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jan 31. 2018 19:09

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Jeff -

Thanks for all the information. I don't know exactly what the answer is...

Your original clip is 29.97fps, but you've produced to 60fps. That's possibly a factor. There's definitely NO benefit in doing that.

Your original clip is 24.5Mbps, but you've produced to 54.9Mbps. No advantage there either, methinks.

So - the first thing I'd try is to produce to a profile that closely matches your original footage. AVC H.264 1920x1080 29.97fps 24Mbps. That may help clean it up.

Having said that, I can easily replicate what you've observed here using 4K DJI clips - 4096x2160 - even using a matching profile. During the speed changes, it's not quite "Minecraft" but there are artefacts. I do the same thing with UHD clips from my Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K with no significant artefacts.

Just ignore that italicised bit - just me thinking.

Jeff - I was actually asking if you could upload an original clip to a shared file site, like Google Drive. YouTube processes uploaded videos so they're not entirely like the original. e.g. you uploaded 54.9Mbps. YouTube processed it to 6.2Mbps undecided

Cheers - Tony
colehatch [Avatar]
[Post New]
I get it and don't expect anyone to spend a bunch of time trying to resolve it. I do this for fun and if they look medicore it's fine. It's probably something I'm doing with the video either editing it, moving it around from device to PC or from PC to PD16. I really appreciate the effort that's already been put forth...thanks.

I should have mentioned I originally did produce at 1920x1080 30fps and when I saw the final product and flicker I thought I'd try producing at 60fps to see if it made a difference. It obviously didn't. I'll try the exact settings you're talking about and see how it looks.

When you say you can replicate it do you mean the flicker (light\dark) when testing the speed change. Is this a an issue with the Powerdirector SW then? I've seen it happen with both my DJI and GoPro.

Here's that clip I put on OneDrive: Link to File
Let me know if you're unable to get to it.

Thanks!! cool

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2018 21:30

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Jeff -

Thanks for the original file.

Sorry - I should have been more clear when I wrote "I can easily replicate what you've observed here using 4K DJI clips". No - I didn't get the flickering/light shift, but there was some pixelation/artefacts.

Using your clip I produced a number of files. None of them showed the artefacts your YouTube "Test Flicker Clips" one has. Here are two of them. This one was done using the same split method you used. This one was done by applying the speed shift to a segment with Ease in/out added. Both were produced with the same profile I mentioned above.

You didn't perhaps upload that other sample through PDR, did you? That would have gone off as a WMV (which might explain the Minecraft thing).

Cheers - Tony
colehatch [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff -

Thanks for the original file.

Sorry - I should have been more clear when I wrote "I can easily replicate what you've observed here using 4K DJI clips". No - I didn't get the flickering/light shift, but there was some pixelation/artefacts.

Using your clip I produced a number of files. None of them showed the artefacts your YouTube "Test Flicker Clips" one has. Here are two of them. This one was done using the same split method you used. This one was done by applying the speed shift to a segment with Ease in/out added. Both were produced with the same profile I mentioned above.

You didn't perhaps upload that other sample through PDR, did you? That would have gone off as a WMV (which might explain the Minecraft thing).

Cheers - Tony

Hey Tony,

Have to apologize but not sure what PDR is?

Observation on the the 2 clips you've edited and added. The first one you edited like I do has that slight flicker when it goes from fast to slow (just like mine), the second one looks perfect. I'm not familar with ease in/out. Is that part of PD16? I'll have to do some research.

You're awesome....tHanks!!!
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Jeff -

Sorry - "PDR" isn't some fancy term. It just means PowerDirectoR laughing

This annotated screen capture shows the Split method you've used and the Selected Range (with Ease in & out) method.

Cheers - Tony
colehatch [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff -

Sorry - "PDR" isn't some fancy term. It just means PowerDirectoR laughing

This annotated screen capture shows the Split method you've used and the Selected Range (with Ease in & out) method.

Cheers - Tony

Ha...I didn't put 2 and 2 together on "PDR".

Thanks so much for the tutorial!! I'll do some testing this evening. laughing
colehatch [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well....that Selected Range stuff is fantastic! Love learning something new. I've been trying to figure out how to do the "ease in \ ease out" thing for a bit and you made it look so easy. Great tutorial.

Messed around with it and put this together.

Thanks again...you guys are awesome!!