Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 16 setting for output for Roku media player
gh423 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2018 13:55 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I used the h264 preset in PowerDirector 16 to output my video but the mp4 producted does not even show up as a video file when I try to play it in the Roku media player. It will also not play on my Viseo TV using its media player. Is there a setting that I can use to produce an mp4 that Roku and other media players will be able to play?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2018 14:06

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi gh423 -

My Sony TV plays back H.264 MP4 videos produced with standard profiles, but that doesn't help you.

According to the Roku & Vizio specifications, they both support AVC H.264 MP4 with AAC audio - so it's surprising that it's not working for you.

One thing worth trying might be to click on the + button in the Produce module & select either Baseline or Main profile, rather than the default High@L4.

Worth a shot.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
gh423 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply.

From looking at the Roku claims it would seem that any mp4 would work. I am finding the opposite. I have tried baseline and high and those did not work. The only thing I have found that works is running it through ffmpeg using arguments I found from a post by Gilgamesh on the Roku forums.

ffmpeg -i movie.mp4 -c:v h264 -c:a aac -ac 2 -strict 2 movie2.mp4

For a movie this takes a long time to run. I have no idea how this translates to PowerDirector settings.

I have even tried handbrake and can't find settings that make Roku or my Visio TV media app happy.

I used MediaInfo to look at 2 videos I have that worked and 2 that didn't and the main difference I see is the ones that work have a constant Frame Rate and the one from PowerDirector have a Variable Frame Rate.

I don't see how to set this in PowerDirector. You can set the frame rate but no option for Constant or Variable.

Any ideas?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
You should get a constant framerate if you select (say) the 1920x1080/30p (16Mbps) profile, then click the + button to change it from 29.97 to 30fps, under framerate. That's what I get here, according to MediaInfo.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2018 15:00

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
gh423 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony. This did get the bit rate set to constant. The two videos that do play are 29.97 and constant. I wonder what PowerDirector is doing that makes some rates constant and others variable.

Unfortunately My Roku Express is still not happy with the result. It may also be my DNLA server (an oldish WD My Book Live). I am not sure how or if the two interact. Setting the constant rate did get the media player app on my Vizeo TV to play the video (from the same DNLA server as the Roku is using), but the sound is not right.

Any other ideas are appreciated. If I figrure out the magic, I will post here.

- Gary
gh423 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have tried lots of settings and got very little to work other than the ffmpg command posted earlier to work. Even playing iwth Handbrake I couldn't get anything to work. I am suspecting that my WD My book Live DLNA server may be the problem. The Roku seems to be pretty picky also. Between the two I am not having much luck so am giving up for now. Installed Plex and that works great but I have to serve from my PC instead of my WD NAS. In case it helps someone I found the folling compatibility chart on the Roku site.

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Audio+and+Video+Support

If someone from Cyberlink reads this makes a preset for Roku compatibility would be great.