Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Photo Director Backup
PointyHairedBoss
Newbie Location: Ontario, Canada Joined: Feb 17, 2016 12:39 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
In Preferences / Project I selected backup whenever Photo Director closes. The first time I close the program a new folder "backup" is created with the phd file inside. The next time I close photodirector I get the message " cyberlink photodirector cannot access the selected folder. select another folder & try again". I press OK, the program closes & the Backup folder disappears Windows 7, HP Omen Pro 15, Power Director 16, Photo Director 9
HPG [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2012 22:45 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
PD has started doing this for me, too. Here's the sequence:

1. Click "Back Up Now" in Preferences > Project, or on program exit. Backup is executed.

2. Repeat 1; get message "CyberLink PhotoDirector cannot access the selected folder. Select another folder and then try again." Backup folder and the .phd file it contains are deleted.

3. Click "OK"; if the backup was being attempted when exiting PD, PD shuts down without giving the chance to try another folder.

4. Return to step 1.

This is quite reproducible. PD backups up if and only if there is no existing Backup folder with its .phd file. If I rename the Backup folder before executing the backup, the backup works normally. I've tried putting the backup folder on two separate drives; no change in behaviour.
HPG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi, thanks for your reply it works for me

Sorry -- do you mean that you can reproduce this problem?
[Post New]
Hello members,

In all the time I've used PhD, I've never attempted to use the BackUp facility.

Initially, just as HPG has described, the backup appears to have worked but there's an issue with folder naming. I have repeated the process quite a few time but haven't yet receivd the "cannot access selected folder" message.

For whatever reason, once I had the option checked in Preferences, then opened a new project, the backup worked correctly.

* The reason PhD "shuts down without giving the chance to try another folder" is that the folder has already been assigned in Preferences.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
HPG [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is all very strange. Today, a day after posting my original question and rebooting my machine, PhD seems to be behaving itself and backing up reliably (with one exception). Whether it was the rebooting that did it (presumably removing some process or other that was messing up the way that file permissions were being set, perhaps) or whether this is just a behaviour that appears and disappears mysteriously, who can tell?