Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 remains in memory after shut down
William976 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 18, 2016 01:59 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I recently upgraded to PD16 Ultimate and after editing and saving a project and exiting the program, the program will not restart because an occurance of it is still running in the background somewhere. I can find it under the task manager and cancel it there, then I can restart the program. I am running Windows 10.
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I recently upgraded to PD16 Ultimate and after editing and saving a project and exiting the program, the program will not restart because an occurance of it is still running in the background somewhere. I can find it under the task manager and cancel it there, then I can restart the program. I am running Windows 10.

Yes exactly what I get with Windows 7 - it does eventually disappear without intervention, but like you, killing it within task manager seems to have no ill effects. I just assume its doing some tidying up like reporting back to CL what you just been doing, problems experienced etc - are you also participating in Cyberlink Product Improvement Program? - reading the details that are collected could take some time - maybe thats what we are seeing.
Alan.
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
I have seen this as well with Win 7. PD 15 did not do this. It runs in background for quite some time. I am not participating in the Improvement program so I dont believe it is that. ____________________________________

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,

AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have seen this as well with Win 7. PD 15 did not do this. It runs in background for quite some time. I am not participating in the Improvement program so I dont believe it is that.

Ok - maybe that was a shot in the dark - but on the rare occassion I need to restart without waiting the only solution is to use task manager that seems to have no repurcussions. Certainly while those processe(s) are active PD16 will not start again.
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have seen this as well with Win 7. PD 15 did not do this. It runs in background for quite some time. I am not participating in the Improvement program so I dont believe it is that.

Ok - maybe that was a shot in the dark - but on the rare occassion I need to restart without waiting the only solution is to use task manager that seems to have no repurcussions. Certainly while those processe(s) are active PD16 will not start again.

Same here. Even when I am done with everything and shutdown my system win 7 has to close programs in background before shutdown. This only started after PD 16 install.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2018 03:21

Peter Podder
[Post New]
One half hour after closing the program. I also have some hangups after producing a clip or video and returning from produce screen back to edit. Something about a process not being finished. I get an error msg and need to retry in order to return. I forgot to capture that msg though.
[Thumb - Task mgr.PNG]
 Filename
Task mgr.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
858 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2018 03:34

Peter Podder
[Post New]
It flat out never stops running in processes after you close the program. Unless you manually end the process it remains there using cpu recources the entire time. ____________________________________

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It flat out never stops running in processes after you close the program. Unless you manually end the process it remains there using cpu recources the entire time.
That is not normal operation.

Have you tried Cyberlink Support? Click link. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Peter Podder
[Post New]
Not yet Carl. I always come here first. It seems AlanR47 and myself have a rare issue. ____________________________________

AlanR47
[Post New]
Quote Not yet Carl. I always come here first. It seems AlanR47 and myself have a rare issue.

and William976
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Not yet Carl. I always come here first. It seems AlanR47 and myself have a rare issue.

and William976
Have you tried re-installing Powerdirector 16? You may be able to solve the hang on process by re-installing. You must have your original installation files.

On my system that PDR.EXE process disappears within 2 seconds on closing Powerdirector. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

AlanR47
[Post New]

and William976
Have you tried re-installing Powerdirector 16? You may be able to solve the hang on process by re-installing. You must have your original installation files.

On my system that PDR.EXE process disappears within 2 seconds on closing Powerdirector.

so it does hang around for a perceptable period of time?

Seems different people have different hang on times.

For me a few seconds I know about and remember not to abuse - a reinstal is not worth the effort, but others seem to have a bigger issue. Lets see what the first person to crack and contact support has to feedback to us.
Peter Podder
[Post New]
When you say uninstall do you mean everything that came with this upgrade or just certain files ?

Please let me know which files. I get very anxious when unstalling / reinstalling for some reason.
[Thumb - Download files.PNG]
 Filename
Download files.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

AlanR47
[Post New]
Please let me know which files. I get very anxious when unstalling / reinstalling for some reason.

It's the "will I get it all back exactly as it was" syndrome - don't worry I suffer it as well !!
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote When you say uninstall do you mean everything that came with this upgrade or just certain files ?

You would only re-install PowerDirector 16, since that is the one giving you a problem.

Just the Program portion. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Peter Podder
[Post New]

It's the "will I get it all back exactly as it was" syndrome - don't worry I suffer it as well !!

Exactly ! ____________________________________

Peter Podder
[Post New]
Quote When you say uninstall do you mean everything that came with this upgrade or just certain files ?

You would only re-install PowerDirector 16, since that is the one giving you a problem.

Just the Program portion.

Thank you Carl ____________________________________