Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Key frame opacity of font face within title designer fails
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
I can't seem to get PD 16 to save the opacity key frame settings within the title designer. I try to go from 0% to 100% and back for the font face to create a blinking effect, but when they have all been set they revert to one setting for all.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I can't seem to get PD 16 to save the opacity key frame settings within the title designer. I try to go from 0% to 100% and back for the font face to create a blinking effect, but when they have all been set they revert to one setting for all.

Hi Jim
I dont know why this is, but if you use the opacity lever in "object settings" it seem to work. ie dont use the opacity setter in font face.
I am sure someone will be able to tell us the difference.
Robert
Edit: The font face setting alters the face when there is a font with a border around the face. You can remove the face and leave the border.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2017 12:26

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I can't seem to get PD 16 to save the opacity key frame settings within the title designer. I try to go from 0% to 100% and back for the font face to create a blinking effect, but when they have all been set they revert to one setting for all.

May seem silly - but are you remembering to Save the changes when closing the module? It will ask when you click Close - but not if you click Cancel or maybe it asks do you want to throw changes away?. I just started a new project - add a piece of default Text, enter Designer, created 3 opacity keyframe points, set the opacity of the middle one to 0%, and all works as expected when I play it, then I click Close, confirm to Save, and Im back in main editor with a piece of text that starts bright, dims to black and returns to white at the end.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

May seem silly - but are you remembering to Save the changes when closing the module? It will ask when you click Close - but not if you click Cancel or maybe it asks do you want to throw changes away?. I just started a new project - add a piece of default Text, enter Designer, created 3 opacity keyframe points, set the opacity of the middle one to 0%, and all works as expected when I play it, then I click Close, confirm to Save, and Im back in main editor with a piece of text that starts bright, dims to black and returns to white at the end.

Hi Alan
Interesting. What font did you use? It's nothing to do with saving etc. I tried all that.
Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]

Hi Alan
Interesting. What font did you use? It's nothing to do with saving etc. I tried all that.
Robert

It seems to work with any font no problem
Alan.
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Hi Alan
Robert

It seems to work with any font no problem
Alan.

Alan
You are definitely using the "font face" setting and not "object settings"?? Jim cant make it work and I certainly cant make it work..
Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2017 12:47

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JimIowa, Robert & Alan -

Quote: Key frame opacity of font face within title designer fails

It doesn't actually fail because it was never intended to be keyframed. As Robert has pointed out, the keyframes for position, scale, opacity & rotation apply to the whole object - not particular properties of it. e.g. the opacity of the font face, border or shadow will be constant throughout, unless object settings are keyframed.

So, Jim, you can get a blinking title by setting the keyframes under Object Settings. If you want the font face only to blink while the border/shadow remains constant, you can overlay two titles as in this example.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the feedback. You confirmed what I suspected, that the keyframe values apply to the entire object and not to a property like the font face alone.
I used a method like the one you are describing, but was looking for a shortcut that does not exist. I wonder if any NLE could be designed to keyframe components of objects.
Always fun to learn! Thanks for your help!
AlanR47
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the feedback. You confirmed what I suspected, that the keyframe values apply to the entire object and not to a property like the font face alone.
I used a method like the one you are describing, but was looking for a shortcut that does not exist. I wonder if any NLE could be designed to keyframe components of objects.
Always fun to learn! Thanks for your help!

Apologies - I clearly missed what you were trying to achieve - as someone said changing a parameter within that type of object is not possible.
I tried changing the colour of the extrusion of 3D text and failed I guess for similar reasons.
Some of you guys have been playing with PD for years - I just clocked up 3 weeks - and learning fast. Old dogs can still learn - it just takes a bit longer.
This forum is so much faster than CL support (sadly) but maybe the holiday season has slowed them.
Greetings to all.