Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 Multiple Audio Tracks
Sturman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2016 11:57 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
So I just purchased PD16 Suite Deluxe or whatever with AD8 and it looks pretty good, but I go to work with an Mp4 with two audio tracks and this software doesn't appear to have the capacity to handle this? I read some previous version posts about other version not supporting this. Is this still the case? The best suggestion is using Audacity to split the audio out. After messing around with it it looks like this will work. But really? Please tell me I'm just missing something somewhere cause its just seems odd to me a video editing software of this calibre wouldn't have this...
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So I just purchased PD16 Suite Deluxe or whatever with AD8 and it looks pretty good, but I go to work with an Mp4 with two audio tracks and this software doesn't appear to have the capacity to handle this? I read some previous version posts about other version not supporting this. Is this still the case? The best suggestion is using Audacity to split the audio out. After messing around with it it looks like this will work. But really? Please tell me I'm just missing something somewhere cause its just seems odd to me a video editing software of this calibre wouldn't have this...
If you are wanting separate audio (languages) in multiple tracks, Powerdirector does not do that.

PowerDirector does have up to 100 tracks for Video and/or Audio. When you produce, those tracks are mixed down to one Video and either 5.1 Sound or Stereo Sound, depending on the setting in Preferences and the original source Video and Sound. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Sturman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote So I just purchased PD16 Suite Deluxe or whatever with AD8 and it looks pretty good, but I go to work with an Mp4 with two audio tracks and this software doesn't appear to have the capacity to handle this? I read some previous version posts about other version not supporting this. Is this still the case? The best suggestion is using Audacity to split the audio out. After messing around with it it looks like this will work. But really? Please tell me I'm just missing something somewhere cause its just seems odd to me a video editing software of this calibre wouldn't have this...
If you are wanting separate audio (languages) in multiple tracks, Powerdirector does not do that.

PowerDirector does have up to 100 tracks for Video and/or Audio. When you produce, those tracks are mixed down to one Video and either 5.1 Sound or Stereo Sound, depending on the setting in Preferences and the original source Video and Sound.

Thank you for the information. The files I'm using come from Shadowplay. It offers you the option of keeping your mic audio in a seperate track. It would make this so much easier to edit if I could do it that way. Is there another software similar to PD that you are aware of that does handle the multiple audio tracks in an MP4 file?
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

You said you also have AudioDirector, which can display up to 7 audio tracks for a single media file. You want to separate the audio out, that is where you do it and then import your edits back into PowerDirector.

You might be able to extract out just the mic audio in the file, and then produce two new files that you can then edit away in PowerDirector with. It's worth taking a look.

David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2017 19:47

Sturman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

You said you also have AudioDirector, which can display up to 7 audio tracks for a single media file. You want to separate the audio out, that is where you do it and then import your edits back into PowerDirector.

You might be able to extract out just the mic audio in the file, and then produce two new files that you can then edit away in PowerDirector with. It's worth taking a look.

David

Thanks for the input, Didn't think to check into audiodirector itself and it lead me to this:

https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/video/29/mixing-multi-track-audio-with-audiodirector

It showed me a fair bit about audiodirector that I didn't know about so thanks for that (mainly clicking on Mix... DOH!). But again, importing the files appears to just default to Track1 and ignores all others. Since posting my topic, there was another post where a user suggested a "demultiplexer" I've googled some and most seem "free". Does anyone have a suggestion for one?
CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote But again, importing the files appears to just default to Track1 and ignores all others.

Hi,
There must be something up with your video file (the audio part) then, as it works for me. What file format is it?
I just imported a video file with 5.1 audio, and all 6 of the channels are there in AudioDirector 8. See the attached photo.
David
[Thumb - 5.1channels.jpg]
 Filename
5.1channels.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
631 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
66 time(s)
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
If I may pop in, I don't think any consumer editors will export true "multi-track audio" (eg. Track 1 = English (Stereo), Track 2 = Spanish (Stereo)), where you can choose which one to listen to at one time...

Even the $500 Sony Vegas Pro [recently bought out by MAGIX] can't do that, although you can 'trick' any of these programs into retaining the multi-track audio as "multi-channel" ('5.1 audio'); where you essentially take the English Audio Track output to Channels 1 and 2 (front L and R), and put the Spanish Audio Track to Channels 3 and 4 (rear L and R), etc.

The problem with this, is if you playback the material on a PC with headphones, you will 'hear' ALL of it at once.

[Note: This is fine if you are trying to combine 'videogame recordings and mic input and maybe a Skype input or other audio' - since you WANT to hear 'everything at once' (after adjusting the volumes) - if this is what you are trying to do, you can try a 5.1 audio "hack" of doing it, it just takes a lot of steps (in any video editor), to assign "game L and R" to "Channel 1 and 2, "mic audio L and R" as Channel 3 and 4 (Mono, if you want, since most microphones record in monaural), etc]

If you are trying to use this '5.1 Multichannel "hack" method for full Language Tracks, you can isolate the playback of front and rear speakers if you have it playing on external Speakers or a Mixer/Amplifier that you can turn off the front or the rear [say, on a 'full stereo system' type of setup]; but if you are listening to it from a file with headphones, you'll just hear both Languages at once (all Channels at one time)...

The only way that I know of, aside from Rendering to a Disc format (eg. BluRay/DVD, where you can put multiple Languages as Full Audio Tracks that you can choose from when listening), is:

Render out your 'main' video and desired audio Track as one output file (or Video as one file, Audio as one file), then Render out your 'other Tracks' as Separate Audio files (WAV/m4a/etc) - and then Multiplex everything you want all together with a program that will 'assign' true Multiple Tracks within an AVI/MP4/MKV type of file - one that you can choose the different Tracks (eg. Languages) when you are listening to it, like playing it back on a PC, for example.

I might be wrong though, please anyone let me know if I am - I would love to know how to do this within PowerDirector!

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2017 10:26

CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If I may pop in, I don't think any consumer editors will export true "multi-track audio" (eg. Track 1 = English (Stereo), Track 2 = Spanish (Stereo)), where you can choose which one to listen to at one time...

Hello,

PowerDirector can do this for some video file formats. MKV and WTV for sure, but not sure about MP4 formats.

See the post I made here for more details: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64556.page#post_box_294219

David

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2017 21:13

Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

PowerDirector can do this for some video file formats. MKV and WTV for sure, but not sure about MP4 formats.

See the post I made here for more details: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64556.page#post_box_294219

David

Thank you - awesome!

So all it takes is using AudioDirector (if you have it) and importing it back into PowerDirector (and you have to use those formats/containers for StandAlone files)... this is so great, I was hoping I was wrong - thanks for sharing this, I'll have to try it sometime cool

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20. 2017 02:58

CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
To be clear, for two audio streams, you do NOT have to import it into AudioDirector first. Just place the video file on the timeline and then right click on it.
David
Tesityr
[Post New]
Quote Hi,
To be clear, for two audio streams, you do NOT have to import it into AudioDirector first. Just place the video file on the timeline and then right click on it.
David

Oh, I see. This is then mainly for videos that already have multiple tracks...

It's not quite the "combining multiple audio sources" (like 1. game recording, 2. mic input, 3. skype output) but it should work for say, video files that have multiple Language Tracks.

Still - thanks again, it will be useful.