Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Joining vertical and horizontal video clips
trog [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Adelaide Australia Joined: Dec 12, 2017 18:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I want to create a DVD. I have a vertical and a horizontal video clip i need to join to make the movie. What is the best way (aspect ratio) in which to work with these clips for best outcome?

Just a home movie of some horse training but I want to be able to view as much detail as possible. (Have Director 15)

Ta

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2017 18:55

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Since you are creating a dvd I assume this is for viewing on a television. I would set the resolution to the horizontal clip and then expand the vertical clip to see the action, but not so mush as to destort it. You will probably have black bars on the side. Just my opinion. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
trog [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Adelaide Australia Joined: Dec 12, 2017 18:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Since you are creating a dvd I assume this is for viewing on a television. I would set the resolution to the horizontal clip and then expand the vertical clip to see the action, but not so mush as to destort it. You will probably have black bars on the side. Just my opinion.

Thank you for responding. I tried working in a 16:9 ration and rotating the vertical video and expand its size but when I produced the video it was vertical again. So I am still looking for a solution.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Try adding a color board to the main video track. Add your videos to the second video track. You should be able to do some resizing and rotating.

Remember that a standard DVD is also standard video (4 by 3). If you want to get higher quality, use 16 by 9. If you want to burn it to disc, you can either burn an AVCHD disc (about 30 minutes of video) or blu ray. You can also consider burning the HD video to a thumb drive and play the video from there. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi trog -

Another commonly used method - similar to Steve's colour board idea - is to insert the video in Track 1 & Track 2. Resize, reposition & blur the video in Track 1. They do that in news reports very often.

Screenshot of timeline attached.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Vertical video Background.png]
 Filename
Vertical video Background.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
438 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!