Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Minimum Requirements -and- Graphics Cards
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Forum,

I have a few questions that I know have already been addressed extensively. But my many searches have left me a bit more confused than enlightened. So I would greatly appreciate some additional input from the forum. (And thanks to the forum, I’m almost starting to understand all this computer tech specs stuff. Almost.)

I am planning on purchasing a new desktop that is adequately powerful enough so I can finally edit (with preview screen always set to HQ), any and all content, codecs and media formats, with multiple efx added, and at all resolutions, etc, in HD and SD, while having PowerDirector effortlessly purr like a kitten, with a minimum of crashes, lock-ups, and stutters. (yea, I know, hahaha)

I have tried to use the recommended “top end” specs listed on Cyberlink’s PD7 web site page, as a guide in narrowing my choice of the right system. And I believe I have found a rig that meets and/or exceeds those recommendations. Am I right?
- Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q9550 (12MB L2, 2.83GHz, 1333FSB
- 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs
- 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
(Note: This new computer comes with Vista. But, as this manufacturer (in some sort of limited agreement with MS), has brought back the option, I will opt to have XP-Pro installed on this brand new computer. And they will just include the Vista discs for installation later (when one wants to make the Vista move).

However, I am confused about which of the graphics card options I should choose. The system above comes with either a standard integrated Intel card, or an...
ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB -or- Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT 256MB

So my questions are...

{1} Are the cards offered, even close to the cards that Cyberlink recommends?
(Cyberlink recommends... Radeon HD 4650, 4670, 4830, 4850, or 4870X2)

{2} Or, would I be better off to purchase the system with the standard integrated Intel card, and then replace it with one of those directly recommended by Cyberlink? (if the standard card fails to purr)

{3} And members, if I do independently install, what’s the general consensus out there today? Go with Radeon, or go with Nvidia?
(note: burning Blu-ray, and ATI or CUDA optimizing is not a major priority right now, and I understand that many have reported problems with both, but I do plan to “try” to take advantage it all in the future)

Again, I would really appreciate any wisdom that any of you may be willing to impart.
Thank You Members!

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cranston,

I have a Q9300 and an Nvidia 9500GT with 512 MB RAM and it works just fine. I do mostly high definition using my Cannon HG 20 at 24 Mb/s. Unless you plan on doing a lot of CUDA/ATI rendering I don't think it is worth spending a fortune on a graphics card. I got mine on newegg for $35 after rebate. I'm using a small formfactor case which prevented me from getting the 9600 model.

I would spend less than $100 on a graphics card and invest the rest in hard drive space. If you ever need to get a better graphics card you can do it then when the CUDA/ATI rendering improves.

Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2009 08:30

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston
It is always better to be a "a bit" future proof, though the word "future proof"
is a misnomer.Anyway if I were you I would buy
1) Quad core I7 Intel processor
2) Atleast 8 GIG of DDR-3 RAM. ( Qaud core can address bus speeds upto 1666 Mhz and only DDR-3 RAM can standup to it )
3) A fast spinning harddisk of atleast 500 GB, E-SATA
4) I love Nivida, so atleast 512 MB of graphics card, 9 series, though would like a 1 GB card
5) 19-21" monitor which can display in High definition
6) BD burner ( it is expensive at the moment ) so settle for dual layer DVD burner.
7) Additional fan for chassis to puff out hot air. These CPUS get horrendously hot.
500+ W SMPS
9) Keyboard,Mouse
10) A good set of speakers with separate sub-woofer

Please don't try to find a hole in your trouser pocket. There will be one

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2009 10:52

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Babdi,

Your thoughts on #2 of your list gives me something to consider, as I hadn’t really looked into the i7. Also, that’s a really good tip about the additional fan. I wouldn’t have thought of that. And you are right, one should buy now, with an eye to what will optimize one’s options for the future. It seems that both you James are pleased with the way your Nvidia cards work with PD. Very helpful info.
Thanks Babdi. I appreciate it.

James,

Thanks! That’s also the exact kind of input I was looking for. Though it looks like I'm on the right track, your experience and counsel, probably just saved me a few bucks.
I’m just, with the help of forum members like you and Badbi, trying to strike the right balance between purchasing enough power to run PD smoothly, while not wasting money on extras that I won’t ever really utilize, thus finding that the extra power is just translating into money wasted on nothing more than extra heat that is being exhausted into the atmosphere by an extra fan. Then again, I don’t want to short myself either. So that’s why you guy’s input is so helpful.
Thanks again!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2009 21:09

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston,

If you plan to go with XP Pro, is it 32 or 64 bit? The 8GB the Babdi suggested on line 2 won’t be supported in the 32 bit configuration obviously. I don't agree with his line 3 item. E Sata is an external Sata (E-Sata) connection that is simply a competitor to usb or firewire. It has nothing to do with internal drive performance, capability or function.

As far as disks go, I have found that windows and windows apps benefit significantly by having windows OS on a separate drive. Not just a C: partition of your one physical 500GB drive, but a separate drive. I've found the VelociRaptor by WD is a very nice drive for this, more expensive but in my opinion worth it. To get the performance they are limited in size but a 150GB is fine as you only use this for your system drive, OS and apps. I then have a second disk, and/or RAID array for my working disk area. I keep all my video and do my editing on this second internal disk.

I build my own boxes but if I was buying and couldn’t get a disk configuration from a supplier that I would like, I'd simply get a 500GB like you indicate and then buy my own drives (newegg.com or like) and use Norton Ghost to put the factory supplied configuration on my own C: VelociRaptor and use the purchased 500GB as my second internal drive, D:. Just make sure the case can support the number of drive bays you think you need.

Toms hardware lists a lot of specs and performance characteristics of disks, and video cards. A sample at:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/3.5-hard-drive-charts/Average-Read-Transfer-Performance,658.html

I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS512 and it does great with HD. I wouldn't go with an integrated GPU unless I was just using it as a stepping stone and would replace the GPU with a capable card shortly. (Simply get it because that was a cheap option to purchase and then buy the card I really want as the supplier didn't offer what I wanted)

Jeff
Cranston
[Post New]
Jeff,

Thanks for your graphics card endorsement. It really helps to know what the folks in the know, are really using. That’s 3 for 3 for Nvidia.
And thanks for pointing out the 64 bit -vrs- 32 bit. I didn’t even think of that! The info they have listed on that is kind of contradictory, so I’ll find out. You may have just prevented me from building a 12’ wide boat that I can’t launch out a 10” door.
Plus, and I hadn’t thought of this, some of my favorite photo and audio apps (which I had hoped I could easily load to the new rig from my discs), may not be compatible with a 64 bit system. Right? So there’s yet another thing to consider.

Jeff, I can’t thank you enough for that extensive reply. And all your advice on separate drives (not just partitions), and the link. It all helps a great deal. But... it also adds a lot to the equation.
Geez, why don’t you just send me your business card in a PM, and I’ll hire you to do a turn key build for me, hahaha.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2009 01:36

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston,

How extensively do you plan on video editing on your new computer? Is this for an at home business or for just a hobby you do on the side? Do you have a particular budget you are trying to manage? If you can afford it you can go all out at build the latest and greatest, but I suspect that's not your goal.

I'm using two hard drives. One is 500 GB and the other is 1TB. There both regular SATA drives and I'm not using a RAID setup. My 500 GB drive is for my OS, applications, and where I input my video files, pictures, and project files. I do all my rendering to the 1TB drive. I find this works for me. It may not have the performance of a RAID setup, but it was rather inexpensive, easy to setup, and good enough for my needs. I do keep up with regular disk maintenance such as defragmentation. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
And yes, Go for windows XP 64 bit. It as solid as Matterhorn
Talking of mother board go for as many expansion slots as possible.
a) 4 for RAM
b) 1 more for Graphics card
c) High speed USB ports ( You will need this badly and often )
d) Firewire compatibility
c) Intel boards has these specs. Don't settle for cheaper boards

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2009 11:22

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti

James W
[Post New]
Babdi makes a good point.

If your motherboard already has the proper connections you won't have to purchase an expansion card later to add firewire capability. I'm using a media center motherboard with my rig which came with the highspeed USB and firewire. Had I known that I would use this computer for HD video editing I would have bought a full size motherboard, but circumstances changed.

Mine is an Intel and I originally used the on board DVI graphics. After about three weeks it stopped working properly which is why I now used the Nvidia 9500GT.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2009 11:32

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
You guys are making me feel more senior with ever suggestion you make! If I ever get to understand all this tech talk, I'll be very surprised.

I, too, am considering the configuration of an upgraded PC - and I've read these suggestions with interest - but it's all a bit beyond me. There's nothing wrong with the information - just the reader.

Oh well - different strokes. Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...
James W
[Post New]
Hi Tony, it's mostly about keeping up to date about whats on the market. Things change constantly so you never get up to date. I like www.tomshardware.com to keep up with the latest benchmarks. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Cranston
[Post New]
Hi everyone, and thanks for the continued input.

I am still contemplating whether or not to purchase a brand name rig. I realize I could probably save some money by having one custom built by a couple of whiz kids who run a little computer business out of their grandmother’s basement. But will there be future support?
My current laptop is a Dell. And I have had many positive experiences with their support. And about 6 months ago, when my 2 year old laptop (still under extended warranty), continually cashed to the blue screen, and after trying but failing to repair it remotely. They sent a tech to my house and he replaced virtually everything inside, (e.g. motherboard, hhd, CD/DVD drive, fan, busses, etc), and upped me from 1GB ram to 2GB ram, all at no charge. So I’m pretty loyal to the Dell brand, even if it may cost a little more to purchase a brand name rig.

But all the great info that has been provided by you members above has been invaluable in guiding me to pinpointing just what components I should opt for, in acquiring a rig that will more effectively and efficiently run my beloved PowerDirector7.

Babdi,
Thanks again!

JL,
Thank you so much! Go Sun Devils! (or Wildcats!, in case you... hahaha)

James,
Really appreciate your willingness to help. (gonna PM you about that one comment/question above)

Tony,
The more I read your posts, the more I realize how similar our personalities are. And that scares the heck out of me, hahaha. Good on ya’ mate! You bring great flavor and valuable insights.

Great Forum - Great Members – Great Pleasure To Be Associated With It

Side Note: In thinking about it, I kind of feel that I owe a bit of an apology, as I know that the majority of members and visitors couldn't give a flying hoot if old Cranston here gets a new computer or not. Nor should you, hahaha. But the reason I publicly posted a request for some input, as opposed to just PMing selected member privately, was that I thought that others in my position, might also benefit by having this info available in one post under this subject. As opposed to searching through all the past posts that do contain this info, but where this info is often buried in threads under unrelated titles.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2009 20:14

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Cranston,

That's what happens if you spill beer over your laptop.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cranston
[Post New]
Hahahaha. Haven't had one since the Super Bowl.
But going over all these tech specs and suggestions, I guy does start to get a little thirsty. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carsten,

I'm enjoying reading the input here as I have nearly all the items to change my set up to a quad core... but I haven't decided on the graphics card yet. Basically I haven't looked, the suggestions here are pretty good. Thanks everyone.

Gone are the days when I needed to max my PC spec to the high end, I tend to aim for the middle and keep costs reasonable. CPU Q9400, Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43-DS3L. I'll let you know what graphics I select, though I might build the PC and use my present card and upgrade in a while.... depends how lazy I feel.

Storage Hard Drives are really cheap. I run internal SATA's and USB2's externals for saved data backup.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 15. 2009 03:23

babindia
[Post New]
Cranston and others
It is cheaper,sensible to go for a desktop instead of a lap top because :
1) Lap top with this configuration costs a ton
2) Cramped laptop space makes the CPU run hot
3) Limited expansion capabilities
4) Components cost 2-3 times more than for desktop
5) Limitation on memory expansion as most laptops have 2 slots
6) Limitation of screen size (I guess it available upto 17" )
7) You cant mix-match, picking the best of each component.
PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti

[Post New]
I'm learning bits and pieces... thanks, James, for the Toms Hardware link. I've visited it many times now. Surprisingly, I actually understood a moderate percentage of what I read... not sure I'm any wiser, but it's a good reference point.

Cranston - it WAS worth asking the question. It's good to be able to compare people's setups ad experiences.

Cheers -
Tony Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

After hearing the closing speech from the learned barrister, the judge said "I've listened to everything you've said, but I am non the wiser"

The barrister replied "Probably not my Lord, but you are much better informed"

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Cranston,

Do not settle for the integrated graphics on the motherboard. While it may be kind of OK for tape based HDV folks with Pinnacle Studio were finding a separate graphics card was working MUCH smoother for them and those that did work well had a minimum of 256MB on board.

I may be a bit late jumping in here, but my Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT 256MB is sitting on the floor in the box an Nvidia 8800GT 512MB card came in. The Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB was the graphics card that wouldn't show 1920x1080 video in the editing preview window nor thumbnails on the timeline. The Nvidia 8800GT solved that and a couple of other problems in my relatively new (at the time) Dell quad core.

As others have suggested to you, I would go with the Intel Core i7. With hyperthreading, this processor essentially works as an 8 core processor capable of handling 8 threads at once, and as I understand it PD7 is one of the NLE's optimized to take advantages of this

I just ordered a Dell XPS Studio with Core i7 920 this morning and from Dell it offered nothing but ATI card choices so I picked one with 512MB and I think that may be the key to working with today's HD video. I notice that HP's Core i7 based computer offerings start with 512MB on the graphics card and options go up to 1GB.

With most new development activity rapidly going tapeless favoring flash media some of the complex hard drive systems no longer are as critical in need as they were.

With flash media and AVCHD or H264 the main advantage of a RAID setup seems to be to rapidly mirror redundant storage instead of doing the way I do (copying files to 2 different drives manually). The speed once needed to reduce dropped frames when capturing from tape is no longer needed when one is simply copying files from the camera media to the drive in or attached to the computer.

Those are my thoughts on all this. But I think you are headed in the right direction.

Cranston
[Post New]
Hi Biff,

Thanks for your input.

I did look at the i7 XPS, but as you know, as one starts going through the customizing pages on the Dell site, and with each page go... Oh, and I want that, and I want this, and I want that, and on and on ...and then upon completion one looks over to the right side for the grand total, well, that’s where one’s necessity and economy really collide. Striking the right balance between the two is the phase that I am currently in. And my preliminary findings are that I either need to decrease my necessity or increase my economy.
Sadly, the former seems more feasible these days.

So using Cyberlink’s minimum suggested requirements as what to exceed, and using all the great input I’ve received from forum members as a guide. I still hope to soon settle on a rig that will make both PD and my wallet happy. Though my expectations and original plan may have to be scaled back a bit.
But thank you Biff for your input on the 8800 GT "512MB" card. That is the direction I was leaning. Or at least a 512MB ATI card, which your words have confirmed to be something that I shouldn't compromise on.

As a side note, I am now told by a Dell sales supervisor, that a graphics card can be swapped out at a later date (assuming a compatible power supply), without voiding a new computer’s warranty. Originally I was told differently.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2009 02:00