Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Do I need to convert videos from my digital camera to PDS to edit?
chickencoop [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oregon Joined: Jan 04, 2017 14:52 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Heres the problem. I download videos from my camera to my lap top. Then import to PD 15 to edit. When they are in the library I see they are always in "Quick Time" format, not PDS. When I right click on them , there is supposed to be a drop down menu with many options such as "extract audio", but on the Quick Time format when I right click on it it only says "Remove from Library and Open file location". How do control what format a video is or convert to the PDS? It's confusing!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi chickencoop -

Relax. There's probably nothing much to worry about.

First up - .PDS is the file extension for PowerDirector projects. .PDS is not a video format or codec, so NO - you don't have to convert anything.

If your camera records videos with .MP4 or .MOV file extensions, they should be fine in PDR15. What is your camera brand & model?

The video files you import into PDR - do they have an .MP4 or .MOV file extension? Do they playback in the preview window?

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2017 02:28

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
surprised The forum posted my post twice for some reason.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2017 02:27

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
In the library your video will be the format that your camera records in. You choose the final format under the Produce tab. You can also produce just the audio. I still see the Extract Audio option for mp4, but I don't have any MOV videos to test. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
chickencoop [Avatar]
[Post New]
the extensions from my camera just say Quick Time Movie .MOV. It's Nikon coolpix S7000. I went through the settings and dont find any options to set a desired recording format. Is Power Director supposed to automatically place the .PDS on there while you are editing? I mean is it neccessary to have that PDS designation to have all the editing tools?

Quote Hi chickencoop -

Relax. There's probably nothing much to worry about.

First up - .PDS is the file extension for PowerDirector projects. .PDS is not a video format or codec, so NO - you don't have to convert anything.

If your camera records videos with .MP4 or .MOV file extensions, they should be fine in PDR15. What is your camera brand & model?

The video files you import into PDR - do they have an .MP4 or .MOV file extension? Do they playback in the preview window?

Cheers - Tony
chickencoop [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello James. Yes I just discovered that apparently Quick time Movie is the .MOV format. As far as I can tell theres no way to change what format your camera records in.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi again -

PDR15 has no issue importing MOV clips from Nikon S7000 here. Sample in attached screenshot.

The sample clip I used was downloaded from a Photography Blog review.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Nikon S7000 PDR15.png]
 Filename
Nikon S7000 PDR15.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1061 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
15 time(s)

Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello James. Yes I just discovered that apparently Quick time Movie is the .MOV format. As far as I can tell theres no way to change what format your camera records in.

Thats right. You cannot change the format, your camera records in.
But that is completely unneccessary. PD15 can import your video. Just drag the imported clip with the mouse to the timeline and edit it. There really is no need to convert anything. Just edit. Maybe it is too much work for one day, so you want to save your work, in order to be able to reopen it the next day and go on editing. So save the project. The project file will be a file of the PDS format. In that file, all your editing steps will be stored, no video.

After editing, you have to export your work to a file. Maybe MP4 ort you want to burn it on DVD or whatever. Your choice.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
chickencoop [Avatar]
[Post New]
I see. It seems complicated at first. I think the key is going to be to spend alot of time playing around with PD, editing a number of videos and audio to get a better idea of how it all works. thanks for the help. Do you use aduio director as well?
twwardell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2018 20:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have a confusing problem. I have a large (30 GB) video file in .mov format. I have PD 16. When I try to import the file so I can edit it , I get a white box in the import area with the file name. When I move it to the editing bar, it only has the audio, but not the video. I have tried every way I know to import it, but still only get the audio. Why?

Quote Hello James. Yes I just discovered that apparently Quick time Movie is the .MOV format. As far as I can tell theres no way to change what format your camera records in.

Thats right. You cannot change the format, your camera records in.
But that is completely unneccessary. PD15 can import your video. Just drag the imported clip with the mouse to the timeline and edit it. There really is no need to convert anything. Just edit. Maybe it is too much work for one day, so you want to save your work, in order to be able to reopen it the next day and go on editing. So save the project. The project file will be a file of the PDS format. In that file, all your editing steps will be stored, no video.

After editing, you have to export your work to a file. Maybe MP4 ort you want to burn it on DVD or whatever. Your choice.

Hatti
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
twwardell,

If you have Powerdirector 16 you are posting in the wrong forum, you should post in the Powerdirector 16 forum.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/164.page

.MOV is a container, you may have a CODEC that is not H.264 AVC.
Some cameras used the Apple Quicktime format. PD 15 and PD 16 have removed the Quicktime format.

If you install Quicktime or Quicktime lite, It may work. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.