Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Big question ..... "Is PowerDirector 16 worth the upgrade from PowerDirector 15 ?"
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
I've give the trial version of PD 16 a spin but it's full of glitches! I do know from years of experience with Cyberlink products that things should improve over time ( even though it's not as much as you would hope ! )

Things like the video collage could make titles a bit easier to construct but how does the rest of the editing software bare out?

At last, proper intergration (?) with things like Luts and simple colour correction can now be found inside PD but do these negate the use of ColorDirector ?

Eagerly looking forward to your replies.

Cheers

Dave F. I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
That's a question that can't be answered by anyone but you ! wink That's like asking if you should upgrade you F150 to a newer model year.

Did you watch the last Webnar (it is available here) ? That was a pretty good introduction to both PD16 and PhotoDirector 9. For me, the extras related to 360 video was enough to convince me that 16 and 9 were worth the upgrade. Let us know what you thought about the Webinar.

I tried and didn't like the video collage because that is somehting I would not normally do.

Again, is it worth it? Depends on how you are going to use it. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote That's a question that can't be answered by anyone but you ! wink That's like asking if you should upgrade you F150 to a newer model year.

Did you watch the last Webnar (it is available here) ? That was a pretty good introduction to both PD16 and PhotoDirector 9. For me, the extras related to 360 video was enough to convince me that 16 and 9 were worth the upgrade. Let us know what you thought about the Webinar.

I tried and didn't like the video collage because that is somehting I would not normally do.

Again, is it worth it? Depends on how you are going to use it.

Hi Stevek, thank you for your reply.

You are quite correct in that only I can make up my mind over upgrading to the next version of Cyberlink softwareinnocent

Please let me refrase my question, ever so slightlycool

"Has anyone found that PowerDirector 16 has added an actual benifit to their editing OR do they feel that they should've just stayed with PD15 for the benifits it offers ?"

Stevek, I also agree with you that webnar did explain things quite well. I also wonder what the demonstrators PC + GFX card set up is.

P.S. I'm still having a devil of a time with "Windows 10 UAC" trying to prevent me from opening Photodirector after the great FALL update.... but that is another thread altogether !

Thank you, as always

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That's a question that can't be answered by anyone but you ! wink That's like asking if you should upgrade you F150 to a newer model year.

You are quite correct in that only I can make up my mind over upgrading to the next version of Cyberlink softwareinnocent

"Has anyone found that PowerDirector 16 has added an actual benifit to their editing OR do they feel that they should've just stayed with PD15 for the benifits it offers ?"

Stevek, I also agree with you that webnar did explain things quite well. I also wonder what the demonstrators PC + GFX card set up is.

P.S. I'm still having a devil of a time with "Windows 10 UAC" trying to prevent me from opening Photodirector after the great FALL update.... but that is another thread altogether !

Thank you, as always

Dave F.

Hi Dave

In the next few days keep an eye out on this forum for issue No7 of the PD Newsletter. In that issue I have compared 13 & 16 and found some amazing improvements.

I hope you find it useful.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]

Quote I've give the trial version of PD 16 a spin but it's full of glitches! I do know from years of experience with Cyberlink products that things should improve over time ( even though it's not as much as you would hope ! )

Things like the video collage could make titles a bit easier to construct but how does the rest of the editing software bare out?

At last, proper intergration (?) with things like Luts and simple colour correction can now be found inside PD but do these negate the use of ColorDirector ?

Cheers

Dave F.
PowerDirector Tutorials Team
Kyle 40
[Post New]

Thank you, as always

Dave F.

Hi Dave

In the next few days keep an eye out on this forum for issue No7 of the PD Newsletter. In that issue I have compared 13 & 16 and found some amazing improvements.

I hope you find it useful.

Robert

Hi <strong style="font-family: 'Segoe UI', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">The Shadowman [/b]

Many thanks for your reply, I do like your indepth Newsletters so I shall eagerly await the your next publicationlaughing

Cheers

Kyle 40
[Post New]

Quote I've give the trial version of PD 16 a spin but it's full of glitches! I do know from years of experience with Cyberlink products that things should improve over time ( even though it's not as much as you would hope ! )

Cheers

Dave F.

Hi Power Director Tuts

Wow, nearly did it, nearly went and bought it, your enthusiasim is catching! I've just arrived home from a very long day at work so I need to sit down and watch it all again. It does appear to be the software we've been promised since PD 11 !

<p class="MsoNormal">Previously, I did invest in Director Suite 5 as all the tools I needed ( or thought I would need ) are in there, ColorDirector and PhotoDirector. However AudioDirector has turned out to be a dead loss as far as video editing goes ( you can't import the PowerDirector time line !) but it was cheaper to buy the Director Suite than the 3 individual items I use all the time. The new PowerDirector appears to greater integration with colour correcting but still hasn't any colorimetry scopes for correction, BUT there may not be the need for ColorDirector now!

Many thanks for popping by and sharing your link.

Cheers

PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Well I am not trying to convince anyone to buy it. Its just my reasons why I upgraded. If your using PD 11 that would be like driving some honda I guess. hahahaah.... I am surprised cyberlink is using this forum (Jforum) program and not something like vbulletin that is much more powerful. This Jforum is kinda laggy, I would imagine its how it was coded.

But there is no way I could use PD11. There is so many many things you do not have. Not to mention all the bug fixes. A person should try and upgraded when they can when it comes to software because of the bug fixes aone but at times sometimes and upgrade goes backwards and does not work as well. Thats why you should always download the demo and make your own choice. I have a alot of friends with use PD so I opended the youtube channel to help them out with learning and seems to help others too.

PD does not pay me, they do not give me anything for free, its just what I do is all.

Now Jforum stable release is v2.19 and this version we are all using is v2.18 which now makes you scratch yourhead. Cyberlink I am sure would like people to upgrade and make more money but there not upgrading there own forums what gives?

Now if you are using PD11 then your computer must be pretty old too. So upgrading may just hurt you hard to say. You may need to upgrade the computer before moving to the new software. You should try the demo to make sure you may not notice any difference in speed at all if your running and older processor.

I have PD15 on my system and when I upgraded they just gave me PD16 with a new install so my computer has both on it. Now i can only 1 or the other because of how they coded it. I can not run both at the same time. But I did DL (download) the demo and ran some speed tests on my system to see how it would perform....

I mainly use it for youtube so speed of editing and speed of generating the video and moving it to youtube is super important to me. If they keep making it faster I will keep upgrading....

Nice to meet you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2017 19:19

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Well I am not trying to convince anyone to buy it. Its just my reasons why I upgraded................................... I am surprised cyberlink is using this forum (Jforum) program and not something like vbulletin that is much more powerful. This Jforum is kinda laggy, I would imagine its how it was coded.

I mainly use it for youtube so speed of editing and speed of generating the video and moving it to youtube is super important to me. If they keep making it faster I will keep upgrading....

Nice to meet you.

Hi PwerDirectorTuts

Just re-read my first postundecided .... although I didn't spill the beans innocent, I'm actually using PD15. BUT I've been using PowerDirector since PD11. Sorry about any confusion! However, I did find your blog very interesting with some useful tips. Sometimes it's good to ask others for the experience, hence this users forum.

I have tried other edit systems and found PD (even with all the bugs ) more practical for my particular set up and the price! Like everyone else, I would like to see it improved.

I think EVERYONE would agree with you that maybe, just MAYBE, Cyberlink could start with improving laggy forum cool

I've enjoyed the chatlaughing

Happy editing

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
Personally, I decided to upgrade from PD14 based on performance alone.

I tried my largest project, which is just under 12 minutes, and has a number of effects and many separate clips. Rendering time with PD16 was 35% shorter, just under 5 minutes with PD16 vs over 7.5 minutes with PD14 (did not write down the exact times).
And this was using the hardware H.264 encoding on my GTX960. The main difference appears to be that the effects are faster, and that is welcome. I did not see any compelling new features for me in PD15, which is why I skipped it last year, and I'm not sure that there are any either in PD16, but time will tell. The upgrade deal on cyberweek was very inexpensive so it was a no-brainer.

Now if I can only find the money to buy a decent 4K camera. Was hoping for a Lumix GH5 price drop on Black friday/Cyber monday. Unfortunately, couldn't find any, except bundles with unnecessary accessories. MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
PowerDirector Tutorials
[Post New]
There is word that cannon 90d is coming out in the spring and it might have 4K. Canon duel focus is amazing. I have the canon 80d and its so nice. When they do put 4k in the duel focus thats the one you want.

Quote Personally, I decided to upgrade from PD14 based on performance alone.

I tried my largest project, which is just under 12 minutes, and has a number of effects and many separate clips. Rendering time with PD16 was 35% shorter, just under 5 minutes with PD16 vs over 7.5 minutes with PD14 (did not write down the exact times).
And this was using the hardware H.264 encoding on my GTX960. The main difference appears to be that the effects are faster, and that is welcome. I did not see any compelling new features for me in PD15, which is why I skipped it last year, and I'm not sure that there are any either in PD16, but time will tell. The upgrade deal on cyberweek was very inexpensive so it was a no-brainer.

Now if I can only find the money to buy a decent 4K camera. Was hoping for a Lumix GH5 price drop on Black friday/Cyber monday. Unfortunately, couldn't find any, except bundles with unnecessary accessories.
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There is word that cannon 90d is coming out in the spring and it might have 4K. Canon duel focus is amazing. I have the canon 80d and its so nice. When they do put 4k in the duel focus thats the one you want.

I need a camera without a 30 min video recording limit. AFAIK, Canon has never produced a DSLR that could record >30 min, let alone a 4K DSLR that could do that. The GH5 can. I really want 60 fps also, and the GH5 can do that too. The GH5 checks all the boxes for me, except the 4/3 sensor is small compared to my 5-year old Pentax K-30 DSLR (which is great for stills, and no good for video). And in fact DXO comparison shows that ...

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Pentax/K-30

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Panasonic/Lumix-DC-GH5

Very similar scores, except the low-light ISO is much better on the Pentax APS-C. I don't shoot sports, but do shoot indoors, so I care. However, I shoot mostly on a tripod and can adjust the exposure. Also, the GH5 can record in 10 bits so in theory you could correct the video in post without losing too much, as you do today with 8 bit video. Not sure if PowerDirector supports those GH5 10-bit video or not.

And then there are rumors like this :

http://www.4kshooters.net/2017/11/27/panasonic-to-launch-new-gh5-model-soon-and-more-cyber-monday-deals/

GH5 with better low-light performance would be exactly what I want. Not sure I want it to cost twice as much, though

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2017 21:50

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
PowerDirector Tutorials
[Post New]
Wow thats quite the research. I like canon myself I do not make anything past 15 min. You should like your making film for the big time.

Quote There is word that cannon 90d is coming out in the spring and it might have 4K. Canon duel focus is amazing. I have the canon 80d and its so nice. When they do put 4k in the duel focus thats the one you want.
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Wow thats quite the research. I like canon myself I do not make anything past 15 min. You should like your making film for the big time.

I don't produce anything >15 either, but I do need to record that long or much longer when I practice my classical music takes.

Constantly stopping and restarting the camera, even with a remote, is a PITA. I end up with tons of video files to deal with later on if I do that.

If I don't manually stop it, then the camera stops by itself in the middle of a take and the take is lost.

The only thing that's suitable for me is really a camcorder or a DSLR without recording limit like the GH5. AFAIK, it is unique in that sense. There have been some firmware hacks for some Sony A7S II cameras to do >30 min, though. Those cameras are reported to overheat, though. They also cost more, no 60 fps, and no 10-bit color. They do have larger APS-C sensor.

For me the GH5 is a lot closer to my needs, I think. I tried a Sony FDR-AX33 camcorder and hated it. Not a sharp picture, and low-light sucked. Not surprising with that size sensor. MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Kyle 40
[Post New]

Now if I can only find the money to buy a decent 4K camera. Was hoping for a Lumix GH5 price drop on Black friday/Cyber monday. Unfortunately, couldn't find any, except bundles with unnecessary accessories.

Cheers Julien, I had Director Suite 4 and decided to move to Director Suite 5 because of improvements in all of the software in the package, all that is except the lame duck called Audio Director, it's not really designed to be properly included in video production, it's just really a stand alone toolundecided !

I was actually thinking of upgrading to Director Suite 6 again BUT I've just downloaded Davinci 14 and it's just blown ColorDirector out of the water for me, it's a superb tool for colour correcting!

I don't need Audio Director even though the fit audio/music to your project duration is interesting. PhotoDirector is really good value, but only when I can get it to work again!

So I think I'll save myself some money and just upgrade PowerDirector as an increase in production speed would get me out of jam right now.innocent

Hope you manage to find the 4K camera of your dreams, GH5 + sounds great smile

Happy editing

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Wow thats quite the research. I like canon myself I do not make anything past 15 min. You should like your making film for the big time.

@ Julien

I have a mft GH4 and I use a metabones speedboster with canon lenses - wonderful. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]

Cheers Julien, I had Director Suite 4 and decided to move to Director Suite 5 because of improvements in all of the software in the package, all that is except the lame duck called Audio Director, it's not really designed to be properly included in video production, it's just really a stand alone toolundecided !

I was actually thinking of upgrading to Director Suite 6 again BUT I've just downloaded Davinci 14 and it's just blown ColorDirector out of the water for me, it's a superb tool for colour correcting!

I don't need Audio Director even though the fit audio/music to your project duration is interesting. PhotoDirector is really good value, but only when I can get it to work again!

So I think I'll save myself some money and just upgrade PowerDirector as an increase in production speed would get me out of jam right now.innocent

Hope you manage to find the 4K camera of your dreams, GH5 + sounds great smile

Happy editing

Dave F.

FYI, my upgrade to PowerDirector 16 does not include AudioDirector, but it does include ColorDirector, albeit version 5, not the latest version. This was the cyberweek deal that Cyberlink emailed me. $54.99 for upgrade. Less 20% EXTRA20P coupon, net $43.99 . Was hard not to bite at this price. Have not played with ColorDirector 5 yet, but I do plan to use it. I played with an older version before and it was slow. MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
AndySA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2011 14:39 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
For me: NO!

Maybe there is a speed increase in the rendering process I can't notice, but from the operational point of view almost everything - for me - is worse.

Masks have disappeared. Menues are cluttered. Everything I do takes more clicks and running around with the mouse than it did in V14. Like reloading the library was ctrl+W enter enter and it was done. Now it's click here and click there and then click on yes.

I don't use 360 video or colour look-up. So maybe for others there are features they were missing, but on the basics side it's unusable for me.
PowerDirector Tutorials
[Post New]

What are you computer specs? As programs are made they are coded for computers not so old. If you computer is 10 years old for example then you have lower chip sets and your not going to take advanage of what new programs offer. Not just with PD but any program for that matter. You got to have a balance of a decent computer. So not only does a person upgrade software over time you also have to upgrade computers to match.

Quote For me: NO!

Maybe there is a speed increase in the rendering process I can't notice, but from the operational point of view almost everything - for me - is worse.

Masks have disappeared. Menues are cluttered. Everything I do takes more clicks and running around with the mouse than it did in V14. Like reloading the library was ctrl+W enter enter and it was done. Now it's click here and click there and then click on yes.

I don't use 360 video or colour look-up. So maybe for others there are features they were missing, but on the basics side it's unusable for me.