Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 sort date on media files
Johnkl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 13:48 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
is it possible to have PD16 to sort the clips in the media pool by "date taken", if you are dealing with a huge number of clips from different cameras with different namin it is very hard to get the the clips in time order....

Other editor can do this ???

Thanks
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Quote is it possible to have PD16 to sort the clips in the media pool by "date taken", if you are dealing with a huge number of clips from different cameras with different namin it is very hard to get the the clips in time order....

Thanks

No. PD cannot select which dates are used for sorting files. It's been an issue with users for several years but Cyberlink is ignoring our suggestions on this. Win 10, i7
Johnkl [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is a BIG issue for me.

BIG !!!!

I deal with sometime several 100 clips and fotages.

Dear Cyberlink: Please implement this feature.............
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Yep, it's a longstanding issue. My understanding is that when a clip/image file is copied, the Date Created tag is changed by Windows to the current system date. The Date Modified tag retains the original date and the Date Taken tag remains unaffected.

For any software that then (logically, one would think) references the Date Created tag, that reference is actually the date the file is created on the system in question, not the Date Taken tag.

I understand that CL may well be re-visiting the issue, as it is obviously very tedious for editors.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
[Post New]
Quote is it possible to have PD16 to sort the clips in the media pool by "date taken", if you are dealing with a huge number of clips from different cameras with different namin it is very hard to get the the clips in time order....

Thanks

One way to adjust the CREATED date to the one desired is by using a freeware tool called Attribute Changer found at petges.lu

I've used it for the past 3 years and it works very well. It can handle file at a time or in groups. It can change nearly any file attribute, dates being one of them. It even comes with a user manual.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I am just about to publish Issue 7 of PDNews in the next couple of days. One of the articles is a pragmatic workaround for the issue of sorting by date in the Media Library.

It is not bulletproof, it does require a little workflow discipline and an appreciation of the problem, but it does solve the issue reasonably effectively.

Hope it helps.

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks

This issue is addressed in the PD News #7. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Johnkl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggested method for solving the issue with missing "taken date" in videos
However; I uses a program that read my Sd card and place the files both video and photos in separate folder named by the date.
This is how I organize all my clips. I can the use that program to show files, both video and photos in a calandar view, which is very nice way to organize them.
(it's actually Play Memory Home by Sony - knowing that there a lot more sophiticated program - but Sony PMH does the job quite well)
If I mark all the clips needed, beeing either video or Photo or both and drag them to PD, PD does sort the files, and hence make wrong sequences. If I do the same with ie. Magix the files stays in that order Sony PMH organized them.
Would it be possible to have a "do not sort" option, just place the media in the order it's dragged ?

rgds
John

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2017 15:14