Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Open older version files in newer version
Ed-Maryville [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2017 10:10 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Can I open Power Director 12 files in Power Director 16? If yes, then why is it not working?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Can I open Power Director 12 files in Power Director 16? If yes, then why is it not working?
You can open older Powerdirector projects in PowerDirector 16. If all of the original files are present.

We need more information to fully give you an answer.

Read Me before posting:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/63543.page Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Can I open Power Director 12 files in Power Director 16? If yes, then why is it not working?

Are ALL the original files still in their ORIGINAL folder when you created it? PD needs those files where they originally were in order to open them.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

All versions of PD are backward compatible, .pds files created in earlier versions will be able to be processed by later versions. However, wether the actual project can be fully opened will depend on all the assets used in the original project being still available with the same file names and path locations.

If they are not, then the.pds file cannot automatically find them, you should be asked to find them manually, and point PD to them. If you cannot find them the timeline will have blank spaces where the missing files should be.

It gets complicated, but there are ways to find out the file names and locations, if necessary.

You need to give members more information on what is actually happening when you try to open the earlier project.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator