Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating YouTube HDR videos with Powerdirector 15
MaltaNetworkResources [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Malta Joined: Apr 30, 2011 10:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,

I use ColorDirector to create HDR videos using Powerdirector 15. However, the uploaded video is not recognised as HDR by YouTube with the latest YouTube app.

Can you help with any correct specifications which may be needed, or does this only work with the new Powerdirector 16?

Thanks in advance
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello all,

I use ColorDirector to create HDR videos using Powerdirector 15. However, the uploaded video is not recognised as HDR by YouTube with the latest YouTube app.

Can you help with any correct specifications which may be needed, or does this only work with the new Powerdirector 16?

Thanks in advance

Which profile are you using to produce the video and how are you uploading to YouTube, directly or through PowerDirector? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi MNR -

It's possibly the case that neither CDR nor PDR writes the necessary metadata into the produced file. Read this about uploading HDR videos to YouTube. There are ways around it (apparently) but I haven't tried it myself.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
MaltaNetworkResources [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Malta Joined: Apr 30, 2011 10:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Which profile are you using to produce the video and how are you uploading to YouTube, directly or through PowerDirector?

I use a custom profile 1920x1080 with 25fps. I encode an MKV with PowerDirector (currently version 16) and upload to Youtube directly.
Apologies for the delay but I did not receive a notification that replies had been posted.

I tried converting the encoded video with mkvmerge to add the necessary HDR metadata, however now when I upload to YouTube, I get the message "You uploaded an HDR video, but the pixel format is incorrect. For more information on best practices for creating HDR content, please refer to this article."

Turns out the pixel format should be 10-bit, but Powerdirector does not support it in its output formats. Even if it did, I'm not sure it would make sense to convert 8-bit video to 10-bit video. So HDR remains a dream for the time being (I don't have a camera which records 10 bit in any case)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2018 15:54