Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Having problems with Crop and Zoom
[Post New]
Advice wanted on Crop/Zoom for either PD 15/16.

This tool doesn't seem to work right, not for me the way I use it.

I am trying to crop a 16:9 video to a certain area of the video. Since the best aspect for a Facebook video is 5 x 4, I set the aspect ration in Crop/Zoom to Freeform. I would like to drag the bounding box to cover the area I want.

But I cannot do that.

If I move a side, the other side also moves. Why ? I would like to be able to "freeform" move any side of the bounding box anywhere I would like.

Also, I cannot drag the box to cover any area of the video that I desire. There is no drag tool present. So I cannot center the specific area I would like. And I cannot crop to only the area I want.

This does not behave like "Freeform" Crop to me.

Advice ?

Thanks,

Clark
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Advice wanted on Crop/Zoom for either PD 15/16.

This tool doesn't seem to work right, not for me the way I use it.

I am trying to crop a 16:9 video to a certain area of the video. Since the best aspect for a Facebook video is 5 x 4, I set the aspect ration in Crop/Zoom to Freeform. I would like to drag the bounding box to cover the area I want.

But I cannot do that.

If I move a side, the other side also moves. Why ? I would like to be able to "freeform" move any side of the bounding box anywhere I would like.

Also, I cannot drag the box to cover any area of the video that I desire. There is no drag tool present. So I cannot center the specific area I would like. And I cannot crop to only the area I want.

This does not behave like "Freeform" Crop to me.

Advice ?

Thanks,

Clark

Hi,

I can't speak to the sizing issue that you have (I've seen the same effect).

However, you can move the box by dragging with the blue dot in the centre.

Regards

Phil
[Post New]
Thanks !!

I never saw the blue dot before, and tried this several times. I kept looking for the cross-hair thingy.

Clark
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks !!

I never saw the blue dot before, and tried this several times. I kept looking for the cross-hair thingy.

Clark
I believe you must be in clip mode to see the blue box/dot/circle. And have the clip selected. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kaido [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2011 14:17 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]

However, you can move the box by dragging with the blue dot in the centre.

Phil

Yes, the box can be moved, but this is not a solution. I have a side-by-side 3d video (reso 2688x1552 pixels; Media Library-Properties-Set 3D source format-2D), and want to produce a mono video from the left part of the 3d video (1344x1552). I go to PD15/tools/powertools/crop/zoom. As no aspect ratio fits my need I select freeform. I use the left upper white ball to point to my left upper corner of the video. All other white balls move (?), and hence the zoom area moves. But so far so good, my left upper ball is in the right spot now. I now take the right bottom white ball to locate the ball to the bottom mid of the video, and lo and behold, the left edge (white balls) start to move towards the centre of the video, while I am dragging the right bottom white ball.

How can I do freeform, when the crop area moves around w/o my wish?

Seems a bug or ba UI logic to me.

PD15

Kaido
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How can I do freeform, when the crop area moves around w/o my wish?

Seems a bug or ba UI logic to me.
Kaido

The Crop/Zoom/Pan tool is designed to simplify the job of smoothly moving a content frame around. It does a nice job of that, but it doesn't give you as much control as is sometimes needed, and it isn't the right tool for your task.

You'd be much better off using regular keyframes in the PiP Designer, where you can set everything to the pixel level. An added benefit is that once you set up your crop/zoom just the way you want it to look, you can transfer those exact settings to other clips by right-clicking on the original clip and choosing Copy Keyframe Attributes. You'd then select the next clip(s) and use Paste Keyframe Attributes to format them the same way.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°