Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD15 Compatibilty Issues with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Xbox Game DVR
thunderluca93 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 15, 2017 05:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I want to report this issue that is so frustrating.

I have recently updated my PCs (notebook and desktop) to Fall Creators Update RTM (16299.15) and I noticed that PowerDirector 15 hangs when I try to import simple clips (1920 x 1080 60p) recorded with Windows 10 Xbox DVR appplication.

I explain what does mean "hangs": the PDHanumanSvr application start to use ALL the available RAM indefinitely, and both PCs have 16 GB of memory. Obviously, Windows goes out-of-memory and kills PowerDirector or itself with a beautiful BSOD.

But...
I noticed that this issue didn't show when I try to edit old clips that were registered BEFORE Windows 16299 update.
I done a fake convertion of same MP4 files (using programs like FormatFactory and HandBrake)....and PowerDirector doesn't hang anymore.

I think that the Xbox DVR function on Fall Creators Update uses a different encoding from previous OS versions, and PowerDirector 15 can't decode it and it hangs undefinitely.

Don't know if this issue will be issued internally or Cyberlink team will contact Microsoft, but I hope that will be fixed because it is a little boring to convert and then edit (I registered this clips in my free time, nothing professional).

Best regards.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
You need to submit a support ticket to make them aware. It won't be fixed for PD 15, but if it is still a problem in PD 16 they may find a solution. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
UBiv [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2017 08:29 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all,

I want to report this issue that is so frustrating.

I have recently updated my PCs (notebook and desktop) to Fall Creators Update RTM (16299.15) and I noticed that PowerDirector 15 hangs when I try to import simple clips (1920 x 1080 60p) recorded with Windows 10 Xbox DVR appplication.

I explain what does mean "hangs": the PDHanumanSvr application start to use ALL the available RAM indefinitely, and both PCs have 16 GB of memory. Obviously, Windows goes out-of-memory and kills PowerDirector or itself with a beautiful BSOD.

But...
I noticed that this issue didn't show when I try to edit old clips that were registered BEFORE Windows 16299 update.
I done a fake convertion of same MP4 files (using programs like FormatFactory and HandBrake)....and PowerDirector doesn't hang anymore.

I think that the Xbox DVR function on Fall Creators Update uses a different encoding from previous OS versions, and PowerDirector 15 can't decode it and it hangs undefinitely.

Don't know if this issue will be issued internally or Cyberlink team will contact Microsoft, but I hope that will be fixed because it is a little boring to convert and then edit (I registered this clips in my free time, nothing professional).

Best regards.

I updated to the Fall update on two of my three computers and can report that I'm having the exact same issue. It baffled me this morning as I was trying to work on a project and noticed the described behavior with every single video capture created after the Win 10 Fall update. PD15 would show 100% load for the media added but would hang, my rig would become horribly unresponsive leaving me not choice but to force a reboot. All previous videos before the Fall Creator's update load without issues which led me to the same conclusion as you, Microsoft changed something in the way GameDVR encodes .MP4 files and PD15 hates it. I'll take some time to do a bit more research but Cyberlink and/or Microsoft should be made aware of this. I'll reach out. It can't hurt but I'd much rather this to get sorted in PD15 as opposed to forcing me to a PD16 upgrade I really don't need.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2017 13:34

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't installed the Fall Creators Update yet, so I'm still using Win10 Home 1703 - OS 15063.674... & no problem with XBOX Game DVR recordings.

One thing you can do to try to isolate the problem is to check the Media Info for capture made before/after installing the Fall Creators Update. That will, at least let you know if there are differences.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Hi,

i've got W10 V16299.19 and record a clip with XBox DVR to see exactly what happen when importing the clip into PowerDirector 15

the solution is extremly simple to do it work:

you just have to delete the tag created by Xbox DVR in the property dialog box, details tab of the clip.

it seems that some characters used in th tag isn't accepted and make PowerDirector to hang.

Hope i'm clear, cause i'm not english.
UBiv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

i've got W10 V16299.19 and record a clip with XBox DVR to see exactly what happen when importing the clip into PowerDirector 15

you just have to delete the tag created by Xbox DVR in the property dialog box, details tab of the clip.

it seems that some characters used in th tag isn't accepted and make PowerDirector to hang.

Yay! I'm finishing up uploading a video to my YouTube channel that was supposed to be done two days ago. I was struggling trying to figure out how to get around this issue. I finally decided to do what the OP did, use Handbrake to "encode" the video again as that allowed my videos recorded after the fall update install to finally load into PD15. But it was still a hassle because that's time wasted encoding that shouldn't be necessary but I did it to get my video completed. I was about to go to bed (it's 2:48 am in my side of the pond) when the notification for your post came in. I immediately jumped back into PD15 after deleting the tag in my original video and it worked! Loaded without a hitch. Thanks a lot! I'd buy you a beer if your were local! laughing
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

A couple of things :

Do you have the latest v3424 patch applied?

and

if so, does it solve this issue?

The PDR 15 patch release notes don't indicate anything specific, but the latest PDR16 patch does mention improvements in Win10 Fall compatibility.

If the latest patch does not have any improvement, then perhaps your findings should be sent through to Tech Support with the "offending" clip example and the detailed solution you have found.

It would be good for members to find out how you get on, and a general fix might be incorporated into a future patch?

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
I made the mistake of allowing the Win 10 update to proceed, it took 6 hrs ( yes it really did ) the PC hung up and it had to be forced shut down. I should have been warned by that. Of course once this update is done you can't roll back. I have Director Suite 5 and noticed that PD 15 really struggles even with the latest update installed.

Watching the Win Task Manager when playing a timeline with Preview Quality set to High, the C drive runs at 100%, the USB3 video drive also appears to be struggling but it's only running at around 60 MB/S. Memory is around 55% and my Nvidia GFX card is fluctates around 60%. I've changed Nvidia drivers, even gone as far as running a DDU to clean out any old Nvidia rubbish and then carried out a Clean install of a slightly older Nvidia driver the appeared to work a few months ago. I am playing the timeline with 2 video tracks cam 1 & cam 2, that is what I normally do from my video shoots usually with no problems. I've also now switched to Shadow Files to ease the play problems.

Finally, two other progs in Director Suite 5 have stopped working altogether, namely PhotoDirector and ColorDirector. I am awaiting a reply back from Cyberlink for advice on what to do next. I have had minor problems with PhotoDirector in the past but they are always about Nvidia driver, usually replacing the driver fixes that particual problem, not his time!

N.B.

It's just been a week of problems. Friday afternoon video shoot and one of my video "lightbulbs" came apart in the light fitting! The threaded "bit" of the lamp left in the fitting was happy where it was and wouldn't come out, resulting in having to try and use just 1 light. As it was a live shoot with an audience waiting, I had to continue. Now I have dark shadows everywhere and really need the ColorDirector to pull info out of the shadows.

The sun has just came out and the dogs need walking and I need another coffee.

Thanks for listenening

Dave F. I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
UBiv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I made the mistake of allowing the Win 10 update to proceed, it took 6 hrs ( yes it really did ) the PC hung up and it had to be forced shut down. I should have been warned by that. Of course once this update is done you can't roll back. I have Director Suite 5 and noticed that PD 15 really struggles even with the latest update installed.

Watching the Win Task Manager when playing a timeline with Preview Quality set to High, the C drive runs at 100%, the USB3 video drive also appears to be struggling but it's only running at around 60 MB/S. Memory is around 55% and my Nvidia GFX card is fluctates around 60%. I've changed Nvidia drivers, even gone as far as running a DDU to clean out any old Nvidia rubbish and then carried out a Clean install of a slightly older Nvidia driver the appeared to work a few months ago. I am playing the timeline with 2 video tracks cam 1 & cam 2, that is what I normally do from my video shoots usually with no problems. I've also now switched to Shadow Files to ease the play problems.

Finally, two other progs in Director Suite 5 have stopped working altogether, namely PhotoDirector and ColorDirector. I am awaiting a reply back from Cyberlink for advice on what to do next. I have had minor problems with PhotoDirector in the past but they are always about Nvidia driver, usually replacing the driver fixes that particual problem, not his time!

N.B.

It's just been a week of problems. Friday afternoon video shoot and one of my video "lightbulbs" came apart in the light fitting! The threaded "bit" of the lamp left in the fitting was happy where it was and wouldn't come out, resulting in having to try and use just 1 light. As it was a live shoot with an audience waiting, I had to continue. Now I have dark shadows everywhere and really need the ColorDirector to pull info out of the shadows.

The sun has just came out and the dogs need walking and I need another coffee.

Thanks for listenening

Dave F.

Actually, you can roll back. There is an option in settings/Updates and Security/Recovery that allows you to roll back to a previous version of Windows. As far as the rest, I got nothing. I have no idea why it took six hours to update. I installed the update on a desktop and a laptop and both took about 40 minutes tops. How old is your computer? Other than the tag issue (that's been solved in this very thread) in Power Director 15 there haven't been any other issues post Win10 update on my end. I'm on a desktop system with Core i7, 32GBs of RAM and a GTX 980/4GB. Laptop is doing well too post update, Core i7, 16GB of RAM, GTX 965m. More info is needed to understand why your rig is having issues.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Hi UBiv, thanks for your reply.

You are correct in stating that I should be able to "roll back" to an earlier point, that option is still being offered but ALL my restore points plud the Back up have been removed/deleted! I decided not to try the "Go back to Windows 7" in case I loose everything, it's just been one of those weeks.

The only reason I can think of for the long update download time, could be put down to the fact that after I started the download, clicked OK, I left the computer alone and got on with jobs around the house. It was only when I'd finished doing other jobs that I decided to se what was happening with the old PC. I realised that the puter was stuck, the system was just hanging. After doing a quick Google about this sort of thing, I found out that it does happen. The only thing was to do a hard reboot. On awakening, the PC went straight into Win 10 update mode and in a few minutes had finished the update. The whole process from the initial "download" to the final, took around 6hrs.

I will report back once Cyberlink seen my ticket.

Cheers

Dave F. I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Hi UBiv, thanks for your reply.

You are correct in stating that I should be able to "roll back" to an earlier point, that option is still being offered but ALL my restore points plud the Back up have been removed/deleted! I decided not to try the "Go back to Windows 7" in case I loose everything, it's just been one of those weeks.

The only reason I can think of for the long update download time, could be put down to the fact that after I started the download, clicked OK, I left the computer alone and got on with jobs around the house. It was only when I'd finished doing other jobs that I decided to se what was happening with the old PC. I realised that the puter was stuck, the system was just hanging. After doing a quick Google about this sort of thing, I found out that it does happen. The only thing was to do a hard reboot. On awakening, the PC went straight into Win 10 update mode and in a few minutes had finished the update. The whole process from the initial "download" to the final, took around 6hrs.

I will report back once Cyberlink seen my ticket.

Cheers

Dave F.

I've been intouch with Cyberlink now for a couple of times over other issues since my "Update" as now both PhotoDirector & ColorDirector will not even load past the splash screen. It used to be a simple case for these 2 progs of reloading/clean install of my nvidia drivers but not this time, "other things" appear to be a foot. Nothing has yet been resolved but, at least, I can still edit with PD 15.

Anyone interested can view my latest DXDiag

Cheers

Dave F.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
287 time(s)
I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
JJH_Jr [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Methuen, Massachusetts Joined: Nov 13, 2017 18:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

You hit the nail on the head!

This was driving me nuts

Thanks very much!