Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Q on frame rate synchronization
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
So, I use Screen Recorder primarily to record old TV movies, either off the air (USB stick) or off a web browser (DirecTVNow).

Since film was recorded at 24 fps, I presume what I'm seeing on my computer screen is also 24 fps.

So, does that mean I should set Screen Recorder for 24 fps?

I have in the past, without issue. But it seems like 29.97 is more fluid, altough I don't know how that can be.

I got to thinking tonight about synchronization. When I'm recording a 24 fps movie at 24 fps, what guarantees that the frames match, top to top?

Maybe it doesn't matter. I mean, suppose I start out by catching a half frame of movie. Each new frame will start at the same half frame and appear continuous.

Thoughts?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Film ota broadcast in the USA is 29.97 fps using a 3:2 pulldown. It can also be 59.94 fps. Use the usb stick tuner supplied software and you can’t go wrong or use the wmc if you are not using win 10. You can record video from the internet if you find the right software.
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Ahh... The 29.97 broadcast would explain why recording at 29.97 looks better. I didn't know they were using 3:2 pull down. If I have it right from the Resolve forum, 3:2 adds an extra duplicate frame every now and then?

As I think about it more (and read an article on telecine), I recall that, when I was in jr high, we got a field trip to the WGN TV studios. I remember seeing them projecting a film movie on a screen, with a television camera aimed at the screen. (Or on the back side of the screen.) Now I wonder if they just broadcast it directly or if there was some post-processing after the camera.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 11. 2017 01:10