Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to add slow motion to a clip, without making the entire timeline shift?
tarzan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 16, 2014 23:00 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
EDIT: I found the solution: Lock the video and audio line you don't want moved, move the target clip to be edited down to an unused line, line 3 for example, add slow motion, drag/crop it back to the original length, unlock video and audio lines 1, reinsert clip, bam you have a 5 second clip that is now .50 speed, nothing gets jumbled up.

I have a video set to music, audio is unlinked and separate.

I take a short 5 second clip out of the main video timeline and drag it down to an unused video line and add power tools/slow motion and it shifts the whole video in line 1 to the right, causing it get out of the carefully laid sync with the music below, even creating gaps in the music where there were none before.

I want to take a clip of 5 seconds, slow motion it to 10 seconds and then I will crop the length back to 5 seconds and insert it back where it was.

The funny thing is, I've added slow motion to a clip before and it did not move the rest of the clips, I don't know how and I didn't think anything of it because I thought that was normal.

Now for some reason I cannot add a speed change to a clip and have that change be self-contained to that clip.

Did I change some setting somewhere?

Any help is much appreciated.

I have PD 12 btw.

In the photo here the highlighted clip is the one I want to slow down to .50, then drag/crop back to the right length for the gap without moving anything else.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 07. 2017 14:51

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a video set to music, audio is unlinked and separate.

I take a short 5 second clip out of the main video timeline and drag it down to an unused video line and add power tools/slow motion and it shifts the whole video in line 1 to the right, causing it get out of the carefully laid sync with the music below, even creating gaps in the music where there were none before.

I want to take a clip of 5 seconds, slow motion it to 10 seconds and then I will crop the length back to 5 seconds and insert it back where it was.

The funny thing is, I've added slow motion to a clip before and it did not move the rest of the clips, I don't know how and I didn't think anything of it because I thought that was normal.

Now for some reason I cannot add a speed change to a clip and have that change be self-contained to that clip.

Did I change some setting somewhere?

Any help is much appreciated.

I have PD 12 btw.

In the photo here the highlighted clip is the one I want to slow down to .50, then drag/crop back to the right length for the gap without moving anything else.

If you think about it, a slowed down by half video needs 100% extra time to run from start to finish. Therefore it is perfectly normal for the timeline to extend by that amount. Even if you produce the slowed clip and then reduce it back to it's original length the slowed image will be sped up again. In a nutshell, Slowed or sped up video will always change the length of the clip on the timeline. You cant put a quart in a pint pot so you need a bigger pot. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tarzan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In a nutshell, Slowed or sped up video will always change the length of the clip on the timeline. You cant put a quart in a pint pot so you need a bigger pot.

Not true, I just did it. Lock the video and audio you don't want moved, move the clip to be edited down to line 3 for example, add slow motion, crop it back to 5 seconds, unlock video and audio lines 1, reinsert clip, bam you have a 5 second clip that is now .50 speed, nothing gets jumbled up.

I'll update my post in case someone else has the same problem.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote In a nutshell, Slowed or sped up video will always change the length of the clip on the timeline. You cant put a quart in a pint pot so you need a bigger pot.

Not true, I just did it. Lock the video and audio you don't want moved, move the clip to be edited down to line 3 for example, add slow motion, crop it back to 5 seconds, unlock video and audio lines 1, reinsert clip, bam you have a 5 second clip that is now .50 speed, nothing gets jumbled up.

I'll update my post in case someone else has the same problem.

And you don't lose any of the video on the clip?? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tarzan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote And you don't lose any of the video on the clip??

Yes, I see what you were saying now, so yes you do lose some of the video, but I was ok with it, I just wanted a moment of it in slow motion without shifting the entire movie.