Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
why do my video files increase in size after importing?
[Post New]
Hello, I have about 130 video files im trying to compile on my PD15, create menus for, burn to a 50GB BD, then watch on my PS3. They are all 720X480 .vob type videos. 4:3 aspect ratio and the black sides have already been added to them to be viewed on a widescreen TV. They range from 200MG-2GB in size. All combined, they equal 46.6GB so should fit on a 50GB BD disc right? But for example, once I import ONE video file thats 1GB in original size, it suddenly becomes 1.37GB. So theres no way i can fit them all after that. Is there a way to import my videos without them increasing in size (without losing quality)?????
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello, I have about 130 video files im trying to compile on my PD15, create menus for, burn to a 50GB BD, then watch on my PS3. They are all 720X480 .vob type videos. 4:3 aspect ratio and the black sides have already been added to them to be viewed on a widescreen TV. They range from 200MG-2GB in size. All combined, they equal 46.6GB so should fit on a 50GB BD disc right? But for example, once I import ONE video file thats 1GB in original size, it suddenly becomes 1.37GB. So theres no way i can fit them all after that. Is there a way to import my videos without them increasing in size (without losing quality)?????
The primary factor in filesize is the Bit rate of the encoding. If you check the bit rate of the imported Video against the bit rate of the produced video you should find that the videos were rendered at a higher bit rate.

You can change the profile for the video to lower the bit rate, Click the ( + ) Plus sign and change the bit rate to a lower value.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 07. 2017 21:46

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
If you have vob files that were created for say a 2 hour dvd then the size might double because of the original time duration. Your encoding is for the HQ rate for a 1 hour dvd unless you change it.
[Post New]
The primary factor in filesize is the Bit rate of the encoding. If you check the bit rate of the imported Video against the bit rate of the produced video you should find that the videos were rendered at a higher bit rate.

You can change the profile for the video to lower the bit rate, Click the ( + ) Plus sign and change the bit rate to a lower value.

Hi Carl, yes i know lowering the bit rate within profile will produce a lower file size but wont that also decrease the visual quality of the files as well? Im having a problem understanding why 45GB worth of files cant be burned on a 46GB capacity disc. Like when you move a file from one hardrive to another and the file doesnt change in size.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]

Hi Carl, yes i know lowering the bit rate within profile will produce a lower file size but wont that also decrease the visual quality of the files as well? Im having a problem understanding why 45GB worth of files cant be burned on a 46GB capacity disc. Like when you move a file from one hardrive to another and the file doesnt change in size.
BluRay video has the added overhead of the standard bitrate for a blueray dvd and the Menu system.

If you were just copying the file to the disk, then the file size would not change. You could play that file on your computer, but maybe not on a bluray player. File structure may not be correct for a bluray video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2019 09:02

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote If you have vob files that were created for say a 2 hour dvd then the size might double because of the original time duration. Your encoding is for the HQ rate for a 1 hour dvd unless you change it.

Ah...im a in "Layman's terms" person about this so took me serval re-readings of what you said to make it out tongue-out Perhaps they may double in size. I now am trying .mpg files. So let's say the video files were made for a 2 hour standard DVD, and I now want to include those files in with many others for a now 10-15hrs worth on a blu-ray (8GB capacity standard disc to a now 46GB capacity Blu-Ray). How do I change the HQ rate for encoding like you mentioned trying?
Carl312
[Post New]
One way to fit more on a video disk is to use "Smart Fit".

However I can fit about 9 hours of MPEG-2 Standard Definition video on a double layer bluray disk (50 GB).

How much video can fit on a Blu-ray disc? Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote One way to fit more on a video disk is to use "Smart Fit".

However I can fit about 9 hours of MPEG-2 Standard Definition video on a double layer bluray disk (50 GB).

How much video can fit on a Blu-ray disc?

tried smart fit and it actually increased the overall file size even more by a tad.....yes...i figured you could get nearly 15hrs of 720P content on a 50GB disc. Nice link Carl. It even says 3hrs of HD content PLUS 9hrs of standard stuff....the question remains, how to do it wink maybe this is to hush hush of a topic or idk.... would be a much more cost saving AND ecofriendlier way for a company to do that rather than put out a multiple disc set of something on standard discs that only hold 8GB each. Oh wait, they want you to spend more money than spare the landfill and our natural resources, i almost forgot money-mouth

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2019 18:18

[Post New]
I've given up on tech support to help me. It's been useless and has killed many weeks of emailing. If any of you are Jedi masters with PD15 and want to make a lil money helping me out PLEASE let me know. I'm trying to combine multiple files on a Blu-Ray disc and create custom root menu with chapter screens. HELP!! I prefer help over the phone rather than many days/weeks emailing back and forth.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2019 17:48