Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem capturing 4K video
Johnc1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Nov 10, 2012 11:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have PowerDirector 15 Ultimate. All functions appear to work accept for video capture. My camera is a Panasonic HC-VX870 which I record videos in 4k MP4 mode. I thought 4K was, well, 4K, maybe there's variations. When I connect the camera to my PC by USB cable, with the camera on replay mode and indicating connection to the computer, it is shown as source 'F'. When I change the input on the capture screen to 'F' it says cannot capture (words to that effect). I'm sure the camera is ready for the upload so why doesn't PowerDirector recognise it automatically and why does it say it doesn't recognise the coding etc? I'm new at this but am a competent (but not professional) computer user. I've checked the camera setting and it is as stated. AVCSD is not activated.

My desktop computer - Intel i7, GEForce 960 graphics card, mainly empty 2kb hard disk, 16 gb memory.

Any help I'd be really grateful!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 05. 2017 09:02

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have PowerDirector 15 Ultimate. All functions appear to work accept for video capture. My camera is a Panasonic HC-VX870. The video has been recorded in 4K MP4. I thought 4K was, well, 4K, maybe there's variations. When I connect the camera to my PC by USB cable, with the camera on replay mode and indicating connection to the computer, it is shown as source 'F'. When I change the input on the capture screen to 'F' it says cannot capture (words to that effect). I'm sure the camera is ready for the upload so why doesn't PowerDiretor recognise it automatically and why does it say it doesn't recognise the coding etc? I'm new at this but am a competent (but not professional) computer user.

Any help I'd be really grateful!

deleted

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2017 16:55

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
PD15 does not do avchd captures. You can do it with copying using windows or the hd writer software.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2017 17:11

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
When you connect your camera to your PC, is the SD card in your camera recognised as a storage device?

I would normally expect to go into "Program Manager", select the device and hopefully see a folder called "DCIM" containing the video files. You can copy those to your computer hard drive and then import them directly into PDR.

You don't have to capture your video again. Sorry if I am misunderstanding what you are saying.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Check the manual , page 221. Shows you what you you should see using Windows Explorer on drive F: Since you are shooting 4k MP4 files, I would guess the files are in the BDMV folder and may have .mts file extension. Just use Windows Explorer and copy the files you want to a local hard drive. Then import them into PD15.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Aug 06. 2017 00:33

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Johnc1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Nov 10, 2012 11:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thankyou everyone! I can now edit my video after exporting from camera to PC. Still annoying that PowerDirector isn't doing its full job but at least I can get to edit.

Once again, thanks.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Still annoying that PowerDirector isn't doing its full job but at least I can get to edit.
That part of the application was designed for older hardware - camcorders with TAPE or analog capture devices. It doesn't even work with modern digital TV tuners either. Many years ago, capture worked great with analog TV Tuners. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA