Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A beginner's questions
mike160304 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Aug 02, 2017 12:33 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I am new here and I am almost new to video editing. I live in the UK, I am retired and I am 79 years old. I intend to make simple family/activity videos from short clips, mainly from my Panasonic FZ330 camera.

I have bought and installed PowerDirector 15 Ultimate (1 GB), Content Pack Essentials (2.4 GB) and the 9 other smaller apps listed in my Order Confirmation email.

My desktop now shows shortcuts for PD15, Screen Recorder 15, WaveEditor 2 and Audio Director 7. Do I need all these shortcuts on the desktop, or should I just keep the PD15 shortcut, as PD15 presumably accesses the other apps as required?

Also on the desktop are the 11 heavy exe. installer apps. What is best to do with these? Delete them? Copy them to an external hard drive for possible future use?

I am sorry to ask daft questions but this may not be the last time.

embarassed

Mike

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 02. 2017 19:09

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike -

Definitely don't get rid of those installer files! You will, no doubt, need them in the future. op them in a folder and store them safely.

About the shortcuts: if you're likely to want to use any of the other apps as a standalone, it would be handy to have their shortcuts available. Mine are in the taskbar. ADR, WE & Screen Recorder can all function separately or frm within PDR.

Don't worry about daft questions. Many of us are familiar with daftness. Some can even give daft answers laughing

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
mike160304 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Mike -

Definitely don't get rid of those installer files! You will, no doubt, need them in the future. op them in a folder and store them safely.

About the shortcuts: if you're likely to want to use any of the other apps as a standalone, it would be handy to have their shortcuts available. Mine are in the taskbar. ADR, WE & Screen Recorder can all function separately or frm within PDR.

Don't worry about daft questions. Many of us are familiar with daftness. Some can even give daft answers laughing

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony,

I'll store the installer files on external hard drive, then.

What are Adorage and Vitascreen? I installed only the 64-bit ones as I have Windows10 64-bit, but maybe I need to install the 32-bit ones too? [ MB and GB I understand, but "bits" are a bit vaguer in my mind. ]

I'll follow up your "Tutorials" links.

Mike
[Post New]
If an application comes in two versions, a 64bit and a 32bit version then you should install the 64bit version only, because you have a 64bit operating system. There is no need to install the 32bit version in addition.

If an application comes only in a 32bit version (in that case usually they are just called "XYZ", not "XYZ-32bit") then you have to install that 32bit version.

You can run 64bit and 32bit applications, as you have a 64bit operating system

You can only run 32bit applications on a 32bit operating system. 64bit application will not run (nor install) on a 32bit operating system.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
FishNeedsColors has covered the 32-bit/64-bit question so - no - you don't need to install the 32-bit versions of Vitascene & Adorage.

You'll find the proDAD Adorage Filter in the FX library - that gives you an expandable ($$$) library of effects.

The Adorage Transition (in the Transitions library) gives you an expandable ($$$) library of transitions.

To be frank, I couldn't tell you where to look for Vitascene. embarassed

So - they're effects & transitions.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
mike160304 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If an application comes in two versions, a 64bit and a 32bit version then you should install the 64bit version only, because you have a 64bit operating system. There is no need to install the 32bit version in addition.

If an application comes only in a 32bit version (in that case usually they are just called "XYZ", not "XYZ-32bit") then you have to install that 32bit version.

You can run 64bit and 32bit applications, as you have a 64bit operating system

You can only run 32bit applications on a 32bit operating system. 64bit application will not run (nor install) on a 32bit operating system.

Many thanks - so I did get this right.

Mike
mike160304 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote FishNeedsColors has covered the 32-bit/64-bit question so - no - you don't need to install the 32-bit versions of Vitascene & Adorage.

You'll find the proDAD Adorage Filter in the FX library - that gives you an expandable ($$$) library of effects.

The Adorage Transition (in the Transitions library) gives you an expandable ($$$) library of transitions.

To be frank, I couldn't tell you where to look for Vitascene. embarassed

So - they're effects & transitions.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony!

Mike