Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can I modify a MENU template that has the MODIFY option grayed out?
Baldy95307 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Joined: Aug 15, 2013 00:57 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to use the "CINEMATIC" template which normally has the modify option grayed out presumably because of one or more motion videos that are part of the opening sequence. The CHAPTERS page for this template displays the text with an exorbitantly large value for test spacing. The only allowed modifications during the CREATE DISK process is to change fontface and font size but not the text spacing which is reachable only from the MENU DESIGNER process. But with a grayed out MODIFY option, that is impossible.

I've been looking at the values found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates\PowerDirector Content Pack Essential\Menus\Cinematic\fontstyle folder. I realize these folders are someplace one shouldn't normally be directly changing anything unless they know exactly what they are doing.

Within the file "std_fstyle.xml", there are several lines similar to this:
<STYLE FONT="-12,0,0,0,400,0,0,0,0,3,2,1,34,0,0,1,100,255,255,255,Arial" ID="2"/>

Perhaps one of these numeric values controls the text spacing, but which one. If I knew for sure, I could modify the "std_fstyle.xml" file for a more acceptable value on the text spacing.

How do I find this out? Someone at Cyberlink must know or perhaps there is some sort of SDK available to peruse.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 27. 2017 18:04

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Baldy95307 -

I've been scratching around all the .xml files in that folder trying to find a reference to "AR Bonnie", which is the font used in that template. No luck thus far.

You're right about the spacing. For that font, particularly, it's a bit "generous" unless you have very short chapter names. It looks likes the spacing is set at ~5 (see attached screenshot).

Up to a point, I've been able to make a replica of the Cinematic template... so that it's modifiable. Haven't quite nailed it yet.

You may be able to overcome it by changing the font/size to a more tightly spaced one.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Cinematic-mod.png]
 Filename
Cinematic-mod.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1647 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Baldy95307 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Joined: Aug 15, 2013 00:57 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Baldy95307 -

I've been scratching around all the .xml files in that folder trying to find a reference to "AR Bonnie", which is the font used in that template. No luck thus far.

You're right about the spacing. For that font, particularly, it's a bit "generous" unless you have very short chapter names. It looks likes the spacing is set at ~5 (see attached screenshot).

Up to a point, I've been able to make a replica of the Cinematic template... so that it's modifiable. Haven't quite nailed it yet.

You may be able to overcome it by changing the font/size to a more tightly spaced one.

Cheers - Tony

I previously mentioned about making my own "Test" templates, one with a wide text spacing and the other with zero text spacing. Otherwise, the templates were identical. I then compared each and every .xml file in the template folder to see where there would be a difference. Much to my surprise, they each had identical .xml files. Conclusion.....the text spacing attribute must not be held within the template itself. There must be some sort of other unknown file holding this value.

Along those same lines, I changed one of the fonts to one weird named one found on my computer. Surprisingly, that weird name does not appear in any of the templates .xml files.

What is going on here? A template's data must be spread elsewhere. Oh wait a minute. Don't tell me they create a registry entry also. I probably need to look there.