Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to make text appear behind a subject
[Post New]
I would like to make text appear to be behind a subject in my video. I thought of using the moving mask in colordirector but there doesn't seem to be a way to export say the subjects head with a blank background or add text.

Any ideays or work arounds? Don't blame your gear, most often it's the fool behind the tool
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Your question is an interesting one, and hope we can find a way for you to do it.

You definitely don't need to go to ColorDirector for this. Just use the Mask desginer in Powerdirector. There you can create custom masks that move, which sounds like what you want. It also let's you create text masks, but I don't think you want that.

Just put a clip on the timeline and click the Designer button to find it.

Dave
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Haaaan007 -

Lately I've been misreading posts a bit (you'll be old one day). I read it as "appear from behind a subject".

Anyway - creating a mask is the right idea. You can do that with a snapshot of the the video at the right spot... then make the area transparent where you want the words to appear.

I used a similar method to that shown in this tutorial to make this example:

1. It's easier with PDR 15 than it was back then

2. If the subject isn't moving around too much, it's easy.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote I would like to make text appear to be behind a subject in my video. I thought of using the moving mask in colordirector but there doesn't seem to be a way to export say the subjects head with a blank background or add text.

Any ideays or work arounds?

I figured out a way to get the effect, any alternative suggestions welcome.

I used colordirector to mask the subject or part of the subject with the mask tracker. Then i inverted the mask and blew out thatvarea to white or darken it to basically black. Back in powerdirector the original i keep on track one. Text on 2 and the colordirector import on 3. I took the import and used chromecast and selected the blown out bit so basically just the subject is visible.

I only quickly did it to test it but will see if i can get a cleaner result and do a tutorial on it.

If anyone has other suggestions please keep them coming Don't blame your gear, most often it's the fool behind the tool