Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD Chapters Not Working Correctly
John B551 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2017 14:43 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I have a 2 and a half hour project I have been trying to burn onto a DVD. I have 2 chapters within the project, one chapter that starts at the beginning of the video and one chapter that starts at 1:28:00. I created the chapters within the "edit" section of the program. When I go to create DVD page and hit preview and navigate through the menus, when I click "chapter 2", I am taken to the correct spot in the video (1:28:00). Seeing that everything appears to be working within the program's preview feature, I burn it onto a DVD, but when I load the DVD into my computer's disk drive and navigate the menu and click on "chapter 2", it takes me to a different spot in the video (something like 1:35:00, not 1:28:00). When I load "chapter 1", it loads to the correct spot. I have tried burning 4 DVDs and the problem persists. I have tried re-creating the chapters, restarting the program/computer, played with burning speeds, nothing seems to work. Last time I moved the "chapter 2" marker from 1:28:00 in the project to 1:21:00, 7 minutes before where I want it to play, thinking maybe it would play at 1:28:00 since the original burned DVD played 7 minutes after where the chapter was marked. However, it did not work. It did not take me to 1:21:00, nor 1:28:00, but rather something like 1:25:00. I'm not sure what kind of problem this is but I can't keep wasting DVDs. Any advice is appreciated.

J
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Never seen your stated problem before. 1st chapter at 0:00:00. 2nd chapter at 1:28:00. It should work.

Try this: Save the .pds file. Range produce the the 1:28:00 part to the end of the timeline at the SP setting.

Delete the part 1:28:00 to the end of your timeline. Go to Create disc/Content and import that range produced video. You should now have the two scene selection that is correct in time that you did not have before.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
2 1/2 hours on a DVD? I hope you are using a double layer DVD. For best quality, you should plan on only one hour orn a single layer DVD.

If you are using a single layer DVD, then it MAY be your DVD player - your disc drive may be have a problem finding the correct location.

Try burning a double layer DVD . .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
John B551 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2017 14:43 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
tomasc,

Nice idea, but it did not work. When I played the DVD and selected scene 2, it still skipped ahead, this time to 1:50:00, instead of playing at 1:28:00.

stevek,

I am using a DL DVD. I tried playing it in multiple DVD players and the problem persists.

I am beginning to think it is the brand of DVD itself or maybe a combination of this DVD and Power Director. I am going to try using another program to burn the DVD to see if the problem is resolved.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2017 15:52

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John -

Like you & others, I can't see why your chapter timings aren't playing back correctly on disc.

If you can eliminate the disc brand as a possible cause, there are other ways of going about it...

One would be burning to folder rather than straight to disc - then create you actual disc with dedicated burn software. That'd be the first thing I'd try.

Another approach would be to forget about chapters altogethr (since there are only two). Use titles instead.

1. Produce from 00:00:00:00 to 00:01:28:00 as Video 1 & from 00:01:28:00 as Video 2.

2. Import the two videos directly into Create Disc (as titles)

3. Make menu & playback selections

4. Burn disc.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!