Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
save each clip as separate file... any PD version?
[Post New]
I originally posted this in the PowerDirector 14 forum, but (after it got no replies) I thought I'd post it here, since it's a pretty version-agnostic question.

Hoping that someone either knows a trick, or a macro, or some other clever solution... Here's my scenario:

I'll often download a "montage" video full of clips -- "Wacky Vintage Ads" or "Ten Fastest Rollercoasters" -- and I'll want to split them up into separate files. In particular, I like using PowerDirector because the clips in the original montage jump all over the place in terms of volume.

You probably know what I'm talking about, but a good example of such a volume jump comes about about 1:50 in this long video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TwW3RWGZN8#t=1m43s

My goal is to take the individual long video, chop it into smaller chunks, normalize them, and save them out as individual files that go into a folder full of such silly clips, all about the same volume.

Here's my current process:

1. Open the long video in PowerDirector and pick all the break points between clips (based on content, and also on volume jumps).

2. File > Insert Project... Then insert a project ("Good Volume Clips") with a ton of clips that are already my target volume. (Enough clips to force the new clips to conform to the established good volume.)

3. Normalize the entire video, then delete all the "Good Volume Clips," leaving only the newly adjusted clips.

4. Save each clip as a separate PDS file.

5. Batch produce the PDS files.

I see that step #1 requires subjective decisions from me, and there's no way to automate it, but step 4 sure looks like it could be automated. (And maybe also steps 2 and 3.)

I'd like to be able to say:

"PowerDirector, here is a PDS file called 'Wacky Ads,' containing 14 clips. Please output 14 separate PDS files, called 'Wacky Ads 01' through 'Wacky Ads 14'."

I'm about certain that PowerDirector doesn't do that natively, but I'm wondering if there's some kind of macro, or other clever way to do this.

If it's truly a "macro" I'm wishing for, then I might as well wish big and ask if it could also do steps 2 and 3 as well. (They aren't difficult steps, but they take time -- especially waiting for the Normalization process to complete in step 3.)

I don't think I need to automate step 5.

Does anyone have any ideas? The ideal would be a built-in "Save Clips as Individual Files" or "Export Individual Clips" command, but I'd be willing to put a few hours (or a few dollars) into finding, creating, or even purchasing some other solution.

Thanks in advance, for any ideas.

AG

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2017 11:03

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Later versions of PowerDirector have a function called Produce Range, you select the range you want as a separate Video.

You can do the produce range on selected sections of very long videos. You do have to make individual selections and Product range to separate the pieces.

I know PD 14 has the function, and maybe PD 13. PD15 does have that function.

[Thumb - Produce Range.jpg]
 Filename
Produce Range.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Make separate videos from long video.
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I originally posted this in the PowerDirector 14 forum, but (after it got no replies) I thought I'd post it here, since it's a pretty version-agnostic question.

Hoping that someone either knows a trick, or a macro, or some other clever solution... Here's my scenario:

I'll often download a "montage" video full of clips -- "Wacky Vintage Ads" or "Ten Fastest Rollercoasters" -- and I'll want to split them up into separate files. In particular, I like using PowerDirector because the clips in the original montage jump all over the place in terms of volume.

You probably know what I'm talking about, but a good example of such a volume jump comes about about 1:50 in this long video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TwW3RWGZN8#t=1m43s

My goal is to take the individual long video, chop it into smaller chunks, normalize them, and save them out as individual files that go into a folder full of such silly clips, all about the same volume.

Here's my current process:

1. Open the long video in PowerDirector and pick all the break points between clips (based on content, and also on volume jumps).

2. File > Insert Project... Then insert a project ("Good Volume Clips") with a ton of clips that are already my target volume. (Enough clips to force the new clips to conform to the established good volume.)

3. Normalize the entire video, then delete all the "Good Volume Clips," leaving only the newly adjusted clips.

4. Save each clip as a separate PDS file.

5. Batch produce the PDS files.

I see that step #1 requires subjective decisions from me, and there's no way to automate it, but step 4 sure looks like it could be automated. (And maybe also steps 2 and 3.)

I'd like to be able to say:

"PowerDirector, here is a PDS file called 'Wacky Ads,' containing 14 clips. Please output 14 separate PDS files, called 'Wacky Ads 01' through 'Wacky Ads 14'."

I'm about certain that PowerDirector doesn't do that natively, but I'm wondering if there's some kind of macro, or other clever way to do this.

If it's truly a "macro" I'm wishing for, then I might as well wish big and ask if it could also do steps 2 and 3 as well. (They aren't difficult steps, but they take time -- especially waiting for the Normalization process to complete in step 3.)

I don't think I need to automate step 5.

Does anyone have any ideas? The ideal would be a built-in "Save Clips as Individual Files" or "Export Individual Clips" command, but I'd be willing to put a few hours (or a few dollars) into finding, creating, or even purchasing some other solution.

Thanks in advance, for any ideas.

AG

Certainly, PD 13 has a "produce range" function. Once produced, the clip is immediately transferred to the Media Room Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
Did anyone ever find a solution for this...?

when we import and work on each video...it's easier to do it all in one place and then should be able to save as individual files within this program.

There should be a way to batch all of them to individual video files rather than Produce Range 100 of them separately! Maybe this program is not that sophisticated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 28. 2018 23:08

Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ...

There should be a way to batch all of them to individual video files rather than Produce Range 100 of them separately! Maybe this program is not that sophisticated.

You are right, it is not. It's simply the wrong tool.
Have a look at "ffmpeg cutlist" or something similar with the googling machine of your choice. Or try other video editors.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080