Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Breaking AVI File into Clips
Charles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 30, 2009 16:34 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I plan to transfer 16MM film reels (over 10 200 foot reels) into AVI format on an external hard drive by an outside service. I am concerned that I will receive just one AVI file with all the years of film. How would I break this one file into various individual clips using PowerDirect 7, which I have not purchased yet?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Charles,

I'm not sure why your conversion house would put it on one AVI file. When I've done this I supplied an external hard drive and requested "uncompressed" AVI files. You get about 15GB/hr for 4Mb/sec 720x480 footage. A 200 foot, 16mm film reel is 8 minutes worth. I'd think what you would get is 10, ~8min AVI files. Be sure to ask for the “uncompressed” files so you retain the highest quality and can do what you want with it latter. Many houses produce to DVD-R as default and can put about 3200 foot of 16mm film on a single DL DVD

I've successfully brought in a ~50GB file and then split into several files in PD7 and then produced each section to the specification I wanted. So, if you do get one “uncompressed” AVI file for a full 80 minutes (10, 200ft, 8min reels) of film it would be about ~20GB and you should be able to bring into PD7 and split at whatever time slice you want and then produce to an output file.

Jeff
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Jeff, are you the winner of the biggest file import competition?

Maybe Cyberlink should give a prize for the biggest successfully produced video?

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Vn800rider
The secret is that Jeff has a shop in backyard doing this. You can reach him at www.Jeffconvertsoldfilms.com PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

[Post New]
Interesting website Babdi!!! Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...