Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Theme Designer issues
Andy W
Newbie Location: United Kingdom Joined: May 24, 2017 16:01 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Good Evening you wonderful lot!

So I'm trying to put together a video wedding album for someone using the theme designer. I am only using photo's.

When I put them into the designer, I'm getting a thick black bar either side of the picture, like they're not quite big enough. They seem pretty standard though and work in the standard editor full screem without stretching out.

Anyone any ideas about how I can deal with this without having to load each one into Paint.net and resizing them there?

As always, any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy W Live big! Love bigger =)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andy -

Depending on the Theme Designer template you're using, the apsect ratio needed varies. Even within each segment of a theme, some photos/clips are displayed within frames & others are displayed either full screen or close to it. Some frames are 16:9 & others vary.

So - to avoid the black bars - you need to either:

1. crop all images to 16:9, so they match all circumstances, or

2. crop some images to 16:9, to match particular segments of the template you're using

I just threw some photos at the Wedding Album template. All the 16:9 photos were displayed without any black bars (though parts were sometimes masked by the frames). The photos that were 4:3 (or close to that AR) very often displayed with black bars.

It's not the "size" that's the issue - it's the aspect ratio.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Andy W
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Sorry it's been a while. Been stupidly busy.

So, give me a clue then. How do I change the aspect ratio of all the pcitures? I have PD 14 and Photo director 7 I can use. I've had a quick play, but can't find anything obvious that says "change aspect ratio"!! It would have been nice.

Cheers

Andy W

Quote Hi Andy -

Depending on the Theme Designer template you're using, the apsect ratio needed varies. Even within each segment of a theme, some photos/clips are displayed within frames & others are displayed either full screen or close to it. Some frames are 16:9 & others vary.

So - to avoid the black bars - you need to either:

1. crop all images to 16:9, so they match all circumstances, or

2. crop some images to 16:9, to match particular segments of the template you're using

I just threw some photos at the Wedding Album template. All the 16:9 photos were displayed without any black bars (though parts were sometimes masked by the frames). The photos that were 4:3 (or close to that AR) very often displayed with black bars.

It's not the "size" that's the issue - it's the aspect ratio.

Cheers - Tony
Live big! Love bigger =)
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
For re-sizing, cropping, re-sampling etc I use IRFANVIEW, in batch mode if necessary so as long as the crop parameters are the same you can do 100's of images in one click. I've used this in the past with time-lapse photos to crop down to an area I wanted to highlight.
Andy W
[Post New]
Quote For re-sizing, cropping, re-sampling etc I use IRFANVIEW, in batch mode if necessary so as long as the crop parameters are the same you can do 100's of images in one click. I've used this in the past with time-lapse photos to crop down to an area I wanted to highlight.

Hey Longedge,

I have downloaded IRFANVIEW and had a quick play, but I'm struggling to get it to make the pics 16:9.

Can you walk me through how to do it and how to do a batch please?

Thanks

Andy W

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2017 18:53

Live big! Love bigger =)
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
"Can you walk me through how to do it and how to do a batch please?"

I can just do it 'in my sleep' now and don't even think about how smile. I'll have to come back to this one after I have slept for a couple of hours.

For now, open the batch dialogue after you have opened an image by hitting the 'B' key. All the various parameters for renaming, re-sizing.cropping, re-sampling etc. etc. are there to be explored. I've been learning about what you can do with it for years now and I still find something new now and again.