Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HELP! Error Reading Setup Initiation File
Matt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2009 22:17 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!

I just bought v7 and when I tried to download it, I got an error saying it couldn't read the setup initiation file when trying to uninstall the previous version. I've tried deleting all the files I can and it doesn't make a difference. I downloaded the Windows clean up file from the support page and when it gives you the list of programs you can remove, I don't see PowerDirector or Cyberlink anywhere in that list. When I go to Add/Remove Programs in Windows, it has two Cyberlink PowerDirector programs, but when I try to uninstall them from there, I get that same error. I've tried emailing Cyberlink, but get no response at all. Can anyone please help?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Have you had an answer from Technical Support?
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/service/technical-support.do

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
They sent me a generic email that said to try redownloading the program again. Fortunately, I found out on Windows.com how to remove the program from the hard drive registry and that took care of the error. I was able to get v6 back on, but I'm not able to download v7 that I purchased. Tech support said to try turning off my firewall protection, which I did, and that didn't get me anywhere. After hearing about the reputation that Cyberlink's tech support has, I'm just going to wait for my backup CD to arrive in the mail.

Thanks anyway!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Matt,

Ok, I'm concerned you didn't get the situation sorted by support.

If you PM me your support ticket numbers, your order number and your full name and email address I'll pass the comment onto the Head of Customer Support.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6197.page
I'll ask him to contact you.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
I CANNOT believe this. I got my backup CD from Cyberlink today, and THAT doesn't even work. When I ran the CD, an error pops up that says:

"The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify it's integrity, and try again."

So far I am completely unimpressed with the quality of product that Cyberlink is producing.

Should I just get my money back because this is a lost cause, or am I just unlucky enough to not be able to purchase a download OR a CD from this company that is of any value?

Thoughts anyone? I don't mean to be overly antagonistic, but I don't see how this could be acceptable to anyone on either side of the fence!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2009 20:29

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Matt,

You have every right to be quite upset at this point, and I applaud your restraint here on the forum. I have been using Power Director since version 4, and have had very little in the way of problems with any of the versions, so based on my experience, I would recommend Power Director to anyone. I hope you ride this out a bit longer.

I notice that you are new to the forum, and I just wanted to tell you that I am confident that Dafydd, our moderator, will aggressively advocate on you behalf and get this resolved, if you can just muster an additional amount of patience that is equal to the amount of your restraint. You certainly have excelled at both so far.

I’m not a techie, but it would appear that, as both the download and disc attempts failed to load, that there is something with your system that is causing these errors? Perhaps also contacting your computer manufacturer’s support, regarding why you are unable to load an app from a progam disc, might yield some possible answers? Just a thought.

Good Luck.
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cranston,

Well, if I HAVE TO say something positive about my experience thus far its that the folks I've encountered on this forum seem to be extremely friendly and helpful.

I'm relieved to hear that someone out there has had such a consistently positive experience with these programs. I do hope that the misfortunes I've experienced are the vast exception. I suppose it stands to reason that if the opposite were true, Cyberlink probably wouldn't be around to create version 7 in the first place? I did a lot of google research before buying v7 and if I had to average all of the comments I read, it would say that PowerDirector is a great program with a lot of funcitonality....when it works. The consistent cons that I saw were frequent crashes and little help from customer service/tech support. Again, this is all just what I read. Having seen some impressive tools with v6, I decided to give it a gamble and see if I could be one of the lucky ones that never or rarely saw problems or issues with the program. When I saw that wasn't happening for me, I became instantly afraid that I was going to share a similar fate to the several tales of doom I read.

In response to your suggestions, I think my not being able to download the program might be a "fault" of my computer, but I highly doubt that the CD is. I tried running the CD on two different drives, reaching the same result. I also ran about 25 different program CD's, all of which ran completely fine.

To be fair, I will give an update on the up and down roller-coaster ride. When I tried to download the program from the site, I would get errors saying that my server had signature requirements that Digital River couldn't meet, despite the fact that I had practically shut off any firewall protection found on my computer. The strange thing was that when I would click 'OK' on the error, the download would continue. So after clicking 'OK' on this error about every 30 seconds or so (for half an hour), the download completed and I ran the installation successfully. This was the second time I made this attempt and the first time, everything blew to pieces. I was relieved when it worked this time.
I started running v7 and it crashed on me twice and wouldn't re-open another time until I restarted my computer. I've messed around a little with the buttons and I agree that it looks like a very nice tool....when it works. I'm still waiting to hear back from tech support/customer service as I would like to be sent a replacement backup CD.

My current project is making a wedding video for my fiance to play at our reception next month. If all holds, I think it can be a success *knock on wood.* Just NO more crashes!!! Let this serve as a lesson to CLICK 'SAVE' FREQUENTLY!!!

Thank you both so much for your help and attention. I'm willing to bet that we'll be bumping into each other more in the future (especially considering I still can't figure out with the 'fade to black' effect is!!!!).

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Matt,

-Fade to Black-

1- With video (wedding) clip in Master track, drag/place a Black Color Board next to the video clip.
(Color boards can be found by clicking on the All Media tab > Color Boards),

2- Open Transition Room (filmstrip icon with lightning bolt), and drag/place a Fade transition between the video clip and black color board.

3- Adjust to desired durations.

Also, many tutorials available at...
http://www.youtube.com/CyberLinkChannel

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 27. 2009 00:47

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ha, ha, ha, at first I thought that was a lot of work just to do a simple fade-out, but I guess that gives you the freedom to fade out to any color you want? Thanks for the tip - I'll be using it frequently!
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Matt
Try this too
After the clip ( possibly the last clip ) add a fade transition and see PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

hasi6 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 27, 2009 10:45 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Just bought the software today & also received the same error message ! *sigh*
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
hasi6,

Which error message did you receive, exactly?
Darryl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 27, 2009 17:48 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I think I may have the same problem. I try setting up and all is fine, my key is accepted but can not open Power Director. The error message indicates that I am missing some critical files, and to reinstall, which I have done 5 times and have even re downloaded and reinstalled. After reading this forum it seems I may not get too much help from CyberLink. I have contacted tech support today. I like the product, I used the trial version quite successfully now it is gone, I have nothing. I hope someone can solve this, I hate the thought of not having this product let alone fighting to get my money back. thanks, Darryl
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
By no means do I mean to insult your intelligence, but have you restarted your computer each time? When I was unable to open PD after getting an error, I restarted and was able to open it.
I know that tech support has some unpopularity based on a lot of feedback I've seen, but give them the benefit of the doubt first. They are resending me a new backup CD and arranged for an ftp download if I need it. I appreciated that.
I completely understand your frustrations. PD is a great program, but it does have its flaws and it would be naive to say any differently.
Let us know what tech support says....

P.S. One more question - are you able to successfuly uninstall PowerDirector? If you're not, I can give you something to try.
Darryl [Avatar]
[Post New]
oops spoke too soon Tech did reply to me. Download clean up etc and re download Power Director from another site. I will give it a try, and no you do not insult me it is an easy thing to overlook but I did restart. As far as I could tell PD was completely un installed. I am in Peru and moving to another apartment and it can take up to 3 weeks to have my phone re connected if you do not hear from me soon it is because I will be off line thanks, Darryl
Darryl [Avatar]
[Post New]
No change still missing "critical programs" whatever they are seems to m if they are so "critical" they would be there or tell me what they are or tell me where to find them it only ask me to re install that's all. Does not ask to un install previous installation. Seems I may have to pass on PD really liked the trial version. Maybe editing software is like women, there is always another one around the corner.