Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio not working for AVI files in PowerDirector 14 Ultra
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony

No, the audio did not function correctly. There was a most definite 2 second delay. If you compare the VDub file against the original on a wide open timeline in PD you will easily see the difference.

I think the audio comparison problem is not helped by the fact that audio happens so quickly, you can only see the error by studying the timeline. You can not hear the difference.

If you place the VDub file in track 1 and the original in track 2, press play, you will hear the difference. I wonder if this could really be lip sync problem. I assume that if Josh made a clip of somebody speaking and if the same problem occurred the sync would be out. If this was the case he would need to adjust the audio skew with something like VDub. This is why I asked him to make sure that he had selected the LAV splitter in k-lite.

I hope this makes sense

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Josh330 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2016 17:17 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Robert,

Finally, someone who experiences the same problem with my file!

Yes, I selected the LAV splitter in k-lite. However, is there a diagnostic I can do to confirm?

What is VirtualDub and should I try it in this case?

Is it possible to use VirtualDub to download the videos from the Nikon S31?

Thanks a lot for your help! Any thanks to ynotfish too.

-Josh
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
The weirdest thing is I downloaded the original file again and it works perfectly now.

Try a VirtualDub conversion of the clip it may change the audio and make it work for you Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Damn!

Robert - when you seemed to have replicated Josh's audio issue I thought we might have been one step closer to resolution.

I checked here (again) and the original & Vdub audio is exactly the same. Both kick in at 00:00:00:21 after a tiny initial click sound.

Back to the drawing board.

Josh - could you please try converting the clips from your S31 using Vdub or any other free converter just to see if it corrects the audio issue on your PC. That's been suggested a number of times & it's starting to look like the only way to get around your problem.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2016 13:35

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ynotfish,

I converted the AVI file to an MP4 file and the audio worked fine.

I also converted the AVI file to an AVI file and the audio worked fine for the new AVI file. What does this mean?

Had a question from above: I selected the LAV splitter in k-lite. However, is there a diagnostic I can do to confirm?

Thanks.

-Josh

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2016 21:58

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I converted the AVI file to an MP4 file and the audio worked fine.

I also converted the AVI file to an AVI file and the audio worked fine for the new AVI file. What does this mean?

Your computer/pdr didn't like the avi's from your camera. It happens. That's why we were trying to get you to convert the files.
Please stick with the workaround, editing is like that.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 09. 2016 06:12

Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you ynotfish and Shadowman for your help.

Can someone please recommend the best converter that can ensure when I convert my files the quality is maintained? There are so many out there and it's overwhelming to chose.

Thank you.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Info has already been supplied, 33 days ago (2016-02-06) on Page 2 of this overly extended thread: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/47102.page#246502

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 10. 2016 05:05

Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Um…..no, it wasn't supplied. This is what I asked: “Can someone please recommend the best converter that can ensure when I convert my files the quality is maintained?” This is what you had previously posted: “One source that I looked at suggested a paid for software but in the end I went for the free one Handbrake - did the job for me.” You did not say that Handbrake was the “best” in your opinion. You only said it “did the job for me”. That is why I asked the group what they thought was the best in their opinion. So info was never supplied in this overly extended thread.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Josh -

Dafydd's suggestion to use Handbrake is a good one - and it'sd free! Handbrake allows (almost) complete control of every aspect of output quality. Not only that, it can easily do batch conversions (multiple clips).

**Download it here**

See attached the MediaInfo of your original clip & a Handbrake conversion.

Here's some info on Handbrake settings - http://www.winxdvd.com/resource/handbrake-video-quality-settings.htm

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
DEL-2016-01-16-09.AVI.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
219 time(s)
 Filename
Josh.mp4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
209 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks a lot. I just tried something and got a weird result....I downloaded videos from the Nikon by taking the memory card from the Nikon and inserting it directly into my computer. The audio WORKED perfectly in PD!! I tested this a few times and it continued to work perfectly in PD. Then suddenly it stopped working. So now even when I use the memory card direct method the audio still doesn't work. Any idea as to what the heck happened?!? Thanks.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 12. 2016 12:31