Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capture Fails
Gary [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2006 08:09 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased PD5 I wanted to capture video from my new
JVC model GS-MG21U video camera but the only device PD5
shows is an analog microphone. When I select the icon for the
capture from dv device it's greyed out and I can't select this
as the device. I can import video using another program, but
I want to use PD5. Why doesn't it recognize my video camera that
is plugged in to the usb port?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I just purchased PD5 I wanted to capture video from my new
JVC model GS-MG21U video camera but the only device PD5
shows is an analog microphone. When I select the icon for the
capture from dv device it's greyed out and I can't select this
as the device. I can import video using another program, but
I want to use PD5. Why doesn't it recognize my video camera that
is plugged in to the usb port?

Hi Lanum,
This is a Technical issue with PD5 and JVC camera - I think. While PDExpress version special build can process the file.

I will refer this posting to Cyberlink.

Dafydd
Gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your quick reply I hope there's a resolution as this seems to be a significant one. Also one unrelated question and I realized my profile has my first & last name reversed but there's no way I can find to change this. What do I need to do to correct my profile information.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for your quick reply I hope there's a resolution as this seems to be a significant one. Also one unrelated question and I realized my profile has my first & last name reversed but there's no way I can find to change this. What do I need to do to correct my profile information.

Look at the Forum links at the top of the page "My Profile" and you should be able to amend the information.

There is a solution - I think. I have referred this to someone in CL who's dealt with this issue before. You'll have the answer posted here or you'll get a PM.

Dafydd
PS Fast........ must be my fast walking fingers.... typing so quickly... Thank you.
Gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
Your quick fingers again have provided a resolution I was able to get into profile and correct my name for the forum.
Gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I reinstalled PD Express it doesn't recognize the JVC camera either as to being able to use it to capture the video.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Well I reinstalled PD Express it doesn't recognize the JVC camera either as to being able to use it to capture the video.

JVC model GS-MG21U is the JVC model GZ-MG21U?
http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-detail.asp?model=GZ-MG21U

JVC I have read have their own special video format. This is a hard drive capture camera - correct? All you need do is "explore" the hard drive of the JVC and transfer the file to your computer's hard drive. The file format should be recognised by PDExpress (the version that comes with the camera) ...I think.

I'm not "up" on the JVC product so I'm just guessing.

What I'm suggesting is that you don't need to use "capture" as you have already captured the data to the camera's hard drive and need just to transfer the file to your PC. Once it is there you locate it as a Media File and then edit it.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2006 04:08

Gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are correct my JVC camera is a hard disk drive and now I have the video files and have transferred them versus using the capture feature. I've now encountered another problem there was an update for music which I have Smartsound, after doing the update now there are no music clips available when I attempt to use magic music. Prior to the update there was a dropdown list of music clips which included different styles of music. There's 4 buttons (1. Choose style, 2. Choose song, 3. Enter duration, 4. Select a variation and apply to timeline). I unstalled PD5 thinking this would correct this and reinstalled it but this didn't correct the missing music. Any ideas on how to correct this problem?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: You are correct my JVC camera is a hard disk drive and now I have the video files and have transferred them versus using the capture feature. I've now encountered another problem there was an update for music which I have Smartsound, after doing the update now there are no music clips available when I attempt to use magic music. Prior to the update there was a dropdown list of music clips which included different styles of music. There's 4 buttons (1. Choose style, 2. Choose song, 3. Enter duration, 4. Select a variation and apply to timeline). I unstalled PD5 thinking this would correct this and reinstalled it but this didn't correct the missing music. Any ideas on how to correct this problem?

I don't know what the update is you've applied.... might be worth stating this if ....

I'm using PowerDirector 5 Premium v 2112 - and I've NOT applied any update etc.

Test:
1. Aquarium.mpg into the timeline
2. Left of the timeline is a "Wand" icon. Click it.
3. A drop down selection and choose the one with the Written Music icon.
4 Smart Sound appears and a selection to choose from.
5. The choice is limited and for additional files - if you select them you have to buy) Click select, edit, drag to timeline.

Please say what build version you are using of PD. Look in Help/About.

Thanks

Right I'm off for my dinner.

Dafydd
Gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok as you requested I have Power Director 5.00.2112 Premium.

I did the test as you stated:
1. Selected Aquarium.mpg added it to the timeline.
2. Selected the wand
3. Error received: Smartsound Quicktracks The Stringpak for
"common strings" could not be found in the string database.
4. Clicked on ok
5. Error received: LIBMMGR_CANNOT_OPEN_LIBRARY_DATABASE

This all occurred after I did an update of Quicktracks on the Smartsound
website. Below is the link:
http://www.smartsound.com/support/updates.html?product=cyberlink

I'm a newbie I hope I don't regret buying Powerdirector 5 Premium as I based my purchase decision once I used the trial version. This is frustrating I just want to edit my video (which is my nieces wedding)
and get her a dvd made. Any help is appreciated.
MikiMouse [Avatar]
Newbie Location: St. Louis Joined: Jul 13, 2006 23:01 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Please click the [SmartSound] button and you will see a "Quicktracks" dialog pop-up. Under the "Libraries" tab, you should see a few default SmartSound library "Full Spectrum" "Online Purchase" "SmartSound Sampler"

Let us know if you are missing any library. I think this may be the cause.
 Filename
quicktrack.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
SmartSound library content
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
28 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2006 01:17

Gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
MikiMouse, I did as you suggested, but when I click on the Smartsound button nothing happens.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Gary,

Okay,
I have NEVER updated the QuickTracks and i'll look at the data in a while.

I want you to:
Uninstall PowerDirector and make sure you opt to uninstall SmartSound Quick tracks as well.

I've attached a txt file for PD uninstalling.

Check the uninstall of QuickTracks (which should be done by the PD uninstall) by looking in :
Control Panel/Add and Remove programs
Look for SmartSound Quick tracks Plugin and Remove

and now check the directory in Program Files/SmartSound Software
Delete the whole directory.

I'm getting you to remove the likely cause of this hassle and to get you back to having the PowerDirector 5 premium video editing program.

Now install PD5Premium.

None of the tasks stated are hard or complicated and a PC user should be confident to carry them out.

Dafydd
 Filename
PD uninstall.txt
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDirector uninstall instructions
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
36 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 22. 2006 08:17

Gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2006 08:44

Gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd,
I'll do as you suggested. The one thing that I've been impressed with and the reason for purchasing from Cyberlink was the response time for troubleshooting.
Gary

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2006 08:44

Gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
Daffydd, you're excellent troubleshooting or rather detective work paid off and all the steps you gave me was the trick, my PD5 is now working, I can go on to complete my important dvd for my niece.
I must commend you for all your support and getting through my introduction to PD5 and maybe this will help someone else that hopefully doesn't have the same problem as I did.
Thanks again.
Gary