Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 9 - extremely faulty
Tor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2008 10:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Just bought an upgrade to PowerDVD 9 Ultra, and I am very disappointed. I am 99% Blu-ray, 1% DVD..

1. Tried a Blu-ray (Transformers), chose the TrueHD track, but it outputs as TrueHD 2.0 (LPCM). No problem in PDVD 8.
2. The new stretch functionality doesnt work. On DVD, the options are greyed out, on Blu-ray, the aspect ratio control is disabled (the AR tab in settings disappears).
3. Playing Blu-ray ISO from hard drive doesnt work (mounted with CloneDrive). It worked flawlessly in PDVD 8, now I only get a "Unsupported format" error (I have tried several disc images).

I really hope you intend to fix this ASAP. I just went from a fully functional PDVD 8 install to a useless PDVD 9. Had high hopes for the stretch functionality in PDVD 9, as I am using an anamorphic lens and need vertical stretch (currently using the free X&Y tool).
Mitchel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 02, 2009 21:20 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am also experiencing the same issue with playing BR from .ISO files. Hopefully something is done to fix this issue.
Simon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2009 06:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have a similar usage profile to Tor. and also having similar issues - cannot play .iso files on a Vista Ultimate or Home Premium install but can play .iso files on a Windows 7 beta install (build 7000).

I hope this gets fixed quickly.
JMGNYC32 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2009 18:21 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having no problems with .iso's loaded with VCD. It plays fine for me. Maybe you need and updated version of VCD.
berndniessen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 19, 2008 05:38 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
same problem here

after update of powerdvd 8 ultra to 2521 no more iso bd.

i will try to use vcd beta version otherwise its back to older powerdvd version
Adam [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 29, 2006 10:38 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Just bought an upgrade to PowerDVD 9 Ultra, and I am very disappointed. I am 99% Blu-ray, 1% DVD..

1. Tried a Blu-ray (Transformers), chose the TrueHD track, but it outputs as TrueHD 2.0 (LPCM). No problem in PDVD 8.
2. The new stretch functionality doesnt work. On DVD, the options are greyed out, on Blu-ray, the aspect ratio control is disabled (the AR tab in settings disappears).
3. Playing Blu-ray ISO from hard drive doesnt work (mounted with CloneDrive). It worked flawlessly in PDVD 8, now I only get a "Unsupported format" error (I have tried several disc images).

I really hope you intend to fix this ASAP. I just went from a fully functional PDVD 8 install to a useless PDVD 9. Had high hopes for the stretch functionality in PDVD 9, as I am using an anamorphic lens and need vertical stretch (currently using the free X&Y tool).
I have the same problems except for the ISO playback, update to the latest VCD beta from their forum, and as long as you put in any missing empty folders into your ISO's they should play fine (all mine do)
berndniessen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 19, 2008 05:38 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I installed the latest vcd beta
Now i get the message from powerdvd that i cannot play iso anymore

So either i am doing something wrong or playing iso bd
Is no longer possible with powerdvd

By the way adam i did not understand your instruction concerning iso
Pls explain again
Now i am using normal bd iso copied with imgburn and anydvd hd
This worked always untill this updat
Adam [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 29, 2006 10:38 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
I have no problems with ISO play back in PDVD so it must either be the way you made the ISO's or you have something on your system causing a conflict. Have you ever had Daemon tools installed? If so you'll need to manually uninstall the SPTD driver as it doesn't get removed when you install DT. For a guide to file structure for ISO's check out the guides on the Slysoft forum
Mitchel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 02, 2009 21:20 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
My .ISO issues went away once I upgraded to Vista. Should not have had to do that, but it seems to me that the new version of PDVD is more suited for Vista instead of Windows XP.
bob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2009 01:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
i can't play anything at all, as soon as i try to play "anything", PDVD 9 closes with no error message.
Jorge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2009 20:14 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Same here bob, nothing plays on PDVD 9...I get a message from windows saying "PowerDVD.exe stopped working", tried uninstalling, restarting and installing again and again...keep having the same problem...I´m very disappointed...
Richard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2009 15:21 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded to version 9 ultra form version 8 ultra and I can't play any DVDs and BDs on version 9--version 8 stills works flawlessly, however. Every time version 9 loads a DVD or BD, the app exits. If I access configuration settings and click on information the app exists and subsequent loads of the app will not allow me to access configuration settings. Its been 3 days now without Cyberlibk resolving the bugs. I'm not impressed and will likely demand a refund if the bugs are not resolved within the week.
PatrickD [Avatar]
Newbie Location: California Joined: Mar 18, 2009 20:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I've just installed version 9 Ultra, don't have a BR player yet so I'm playing MPEG files from hard drive and regular DVDs. Everything works except the stretch functionality -- it's always grayed out no matter what I do. I've got a number of 4:3 MPEGs that need to by played in a 16:9 letterbox, can't do it. Anyone have any idea how to get the Stretch options un-grayed & working?
Richard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2009 15:21 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All. As a result of upgrading my video driver to the latest release, I am now able to play DVDs in PWDVD9 ultra but BD disks still result in the application exiting upon 40% loading. I managed to speak to CyberLink support yesterday and a patch will be available for download in the March 31st 2009 timeframe. Hopefully this will resolve our issues with the app. Forever hopefull!
Tim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 15, 2008 19:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased and installed PowerDVD 9 Ultra. I cannot get it to work. I have BD version 1.0 still installed and it will work ok. I have tried starting 9 as administrator and it starts to load the disk from the Buffalo 8x Blu-ray drive then after about 40% it disappears. I am seriously considering contacting paypal and having them reverse the charge. I would rather have a working program.

I am also downloading my Blu-ray movies to a hard drive with AnyDVD like I have been doing for several months, then using Clone DVD Virtual Drive to mount the image, I was using the Cyberlink software package that came with my Buffalo drive (I believe the Power DVD is version 7.3 Ultra) I double click on the Blu-ray file on my hard drive and the version 7.3 software loads and plays the movie fine.

I started looking online in the forums and find that many people are having the same problem with this software. I would appreciate a solution.

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate, 4GB RAM, a Radeon HD2400 PCIe Video card with 512MB of ram on it with HDMI out and I just updated the ATI Catalyst drivers to 2/25/2009 version, Buffalo 8X Blu-ray external drive using an eSATA cable.

Please help me fix this problem.

I AM ALSO GETTING MULTIPLE THREAT WARNINGS FROM SPYWARE DOCTOR RELATED TO SEVERAL OF THE CYBERLINK FILES.
This is the threat shown.
HeurEngine.Packed.Thermida.RGa